Minolta MD 24/2.8 on NEX-5

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Minolta MD 24/2.8 on NEX-5

Unread post by artington »

There is a lot of interest in the new Zeiss 24/1.8 E-mount lens. I'm not sure what the UK price is going to be but I guess around GBP 800 or so.

I have a very nice Minolta MD 24/2.8 and I thought I'd test it out on my 14MP NEX-5. I show below a very boring scene chosen purely to test the lens's resolution. It is shown as shot followed by 100% and 200% crops. (I can't remember what aperture I used, either 5.6 or 11 I think. Not 2.8 ). All compressed to 72dpi for this post. Pretty good I would say.

(Note this has a slightly warm look with a touch too much magenta. This is because I changed the WB to Daylight in LR3. I should have left it as shot because the magenta drops out then. I mention this to point out it's not a characteristic of the lens.)

Now it may be that the Zeiss 24 will be better but it costs about ten times what the MD 24/2.8 can be purchased for. I can't wait to test the MD out on the NEX-7!
Attachments
DSC02811.jpg
(234.66 KiB) Downloaded 2059 times
DSC02811-Edit-100%crop.jpg
(218.38 KiB) Downloaded 2059 times
DSC02811-Edit-200%crop.jpg
(182.78 KiB) Downloaded 2059 times
bossel
Viceroy

Re: Minolta MD 24/2.8 on NEX-5

Unread post by bossel »

Sold mine today, didn't get much use :wink:
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bossel wrote:Sold mine today, didn't get much use :wink:
Saving for the Zeiss SEL 24 f1.8?
:P
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I still have one of these Minolta 24mm MD lenses lying around somewhere. I remember being mightily impressed by the IQ when used on one of my X700 cameras. I have an MD to NEX adapter so might try it on my NEX-5 for fun but not sure if it would improve on my 16mm Pancake. I would lose AF and acquire more bulk/weight (lens plus adapter).
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

pakodominguez wrote:
bossel wrote:Sold mine today, didn't get much use :wink:
Saving for the Zeiss SEL 24 f1.8?
:P
Not really. It is tempting, but not my first choice. I'll get a 55-210 once available here, I think it's good value for money and I need a tele lens. Tried the MD 135mm, but not really convinced by the handling (also sold now as is the MD 50/1.4 (and the 16mm)). The MD experience was interesting one for me, the smooth manual focussing, the manual change of the aperture. But in the end I decided to stay with AF and I nearly recovered my investment in the MDs. We now have the 30mm and the 50mm as primes, and the first feedbacks for the 30mm are excellent. Next year I might be interested in the G standard zoom, if its something like 16-80 or similar.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

I am making the transition back to MF, by necessity on the NEX for the most part, helped greatly by focus assist, but by choice elsewhere with new matte focusing screens. Its taking me back to my SLR roots and I'm really enjoing it, not least because it means taking more time over a shot. Actually, i've used RF focusing for years but this is so much easier and seemingly more accurate. Of course, if I were a sports or wild life photographer AF would be essential. But I'm not and it's not and I'm not missing it either.