Minolta 400mm Vectis F8.0 Reflex

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
InTheSky
Viceroy

Minolta 400mm Vectis F8.0 Reflex

Unread post by InTheSky »

Well ... don't think it will be easy to put this lens on the Sony NEX mount. I really don't like the Idea of the DMF, like the current Nex lens to put the focus behind a motor control.

I think this is probably the reason I like the most the old Minolta Alpha mount system. But on the other hand having direct control of the focus ring make the camera noisier ...

So, the big problem with the 400mm Vectis after disassembling it is the way they decide to put the followup motor (you can take a look at the pictures in the pbase link).
LINK: http://www.pbase.com/nadeauf/vectis400mm8

The only advantage compare to other Vectis lens, is that the aperture is fixed, so only the challenge is to make the lens focusing.

The only solution I see for the moment is to put a battery on the side of the lens and make the slave motor always in sync with the gear attached to the focus ring. The other solution, is to removed all electronic component, and try to build a two level gear that will be place instead of the Motor axe on the gear of focus and the gear of the focus ring (this is so tiny space to execute that :-().

If at least the dents on the gear of the focus ring would be able to be possible to turn on the other side ... It will practically direct control the focus internal gear : see bellow:

The battery in my Vectis S-100 are dead, so for the moment the only way to set the lens to a specific distance focus is to open the lens and turn the gear manually.

If I have time under Xmas holiday, I will try to make at least the electric motor running.

So, for people interest to buy this lens on use market for the NEX, I will say ... WAIT ... it is probably better to invest in a old Minolta AF with the new Minolta adapter than wishing to have a smallest setup not working :-(.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
redsim74
Oligarch

Re: Minolta 400mm Vectis F8.0 Reflex

Unread post by redsim74 »

Wow, that thing is tiny!

I've seen some of the old Rokkor reflex lenses go for crazy money, so might be worthwhile giving this a go. Sounds like a project that Pete Ganzel over at Dyxum would be in to.
NevHi
Heirophant

Re: Minolta 400mm Vectis F8.0 Reflex

Unread post by NevHi »

Frank Is your problem that the gears are stripped??

Model Railway people often have tiny milling machines or lathes to turn up new driving wheels etc.
5D, 8000i, XD7