a99, Carl Ziess 24-70mm
a77, Tamron 18-270mm
Fuji Xpro 1, 18mm
Leica M4/M6
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: It's Here. ....NEX7

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Why have you left the sticker over the microphone on the A77? It will stop it from working correctly! Nice NEX though.

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Isn't that sticker just in front of the mike? anyway whatever, from all accounts it's prone to wind noises anyway.
Greg

Ps Your's can't be far away David.
cosmonaut1959
Oligarch

Unread post by cosmonaut1959 »

Ill take it off.lol I just never shoot video.
a99, Carl Ziess 24-70mm
a77, Tamron 18-270mm
Fuji Xpro 1, 18mm
Leica M4/M6
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I'm jealous :evil:

Congrats buddy. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Now, how about finding a Minolta 24/2.8 vfc lens?
I guess it would be a perfect combo with the NEX-7.
I am sure David knows a lot on that lens.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I dpn't think the VFC's field curve adjustment would be enough over the APS-C frame to justify the cost. It was only ever a sneaky way of imitating a tilt lens. They just took the floating group in the Leitz-Minolta 24mm design (also used for the 24mm Elmarit-R of the same date) and gave it the same mechanism as the Mamiya 50mm for RB67, a manual adjustment of its position instead of a cam coupling (actually, both, because the element does float when focusing).

With the Mamiya, you have to set the focus distance on a manual ring for the floating element/group. If you set the wrong distance, you get field curvature. The lens has no focus mount because it is used on the bellows of the RB67 camera. Therefore you could set infinity but focus close, or set close and focus on infinity, but you could not go beyond the limits and create a really curved field.

Minolta realised that if, in addition to the normal floating element, they provided a control to move a related group even more they could get strong field curvature (which they described as cup or cap, a term I still use, indicated by symbols).

At heart, it's still a standard 24mm and very similar to the 24mm AF f/2.8 as well. Obviously it would be great lens to own now, but I think collectors' prices are too high for what it is.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote: At heart, it's still a standard 24mm and very similar to the 24mm AF f/2.8 as well. Obviously it would be great lens to own now, but I think collectors' prices are too high for what it is.

David
The VFC was the best deal i ever had. I got one (pre-NEX...) from the Adorama used Department for about 250$ and, after using it for a while on film, I didn't find a "real use" for it, other than a great 24mm... I put it on eBay with a 450$ buy-it-now button and it last 25 minutes...

After using Minolta manual focus on the NEX5 for over a year, I understood that these lenses are pretty good for film but new designs are just better on digital. I keep most of my manual focus lenses (and cameras) because I think it will work fine on video projects I have in mind.

BTW, I have a Minolta MD 24 f2.8 (49mm filter) for sale...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;