Imminent announcement of Fuji X PRO 1 mirrorless camera

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

Imminent announcement of Fuji X PRO 1 mirrorless camera

Unread post by alphaomega »

There are a couple of articles on http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/ about an imminent announcement of a new Fujy X PRO 1 mirrorless camera with interchangeable lenses. Supposed to be a competitor to the NEX-7. Here are some of the rumoured spec. details
- Responsephoto says the sensors name is X-Trans! R. writes that Fuji took some ideas from the classica film technology to create the new sensor which will beat the image quality of all current fulflrame sensors! The photosites will be of 6 different colors and disposed randomly, therefore moire will be avoided.
- There is no Anti Aliasing filter on the sensor.
- The lenses are made of metal.
- The camera has the new X-mount. The flange distance will be of 17.7 mm.
- The viewfinder is hybrid (optical and electronic). The optical viewfinder changes the view depending on the kind of prime lens you sue. This again is an idea coming from the !
- The autofocus sensor is…external! There is a special AF sensor on the camera body!
SAR is speculating that the AF is phase detection.
3) it has an external phase detection sensor. It’s a new way to get fast AF without having to rely on the contrast AF or SLT technology. Sounds also very cool!
The flange distance should also allow for converters to be made enabling third party lens use.
Sounds interesting, but not for me. I am well into NEX and this system will do everything I require of it in a compact package.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Imminent announcement of Fuji X PRO 1 mirrorless camera

Unread post by artington »

alphaomega wrote:
3) it has an external phase detection sensor. It’s a new way to get fast AF without having to rely on the contrast AF or SLT technology.
Sounds like someone in Japan has been listening to DK. This seems to me like a shot across Sony's bows and, if the rumours are true, the immediate availability of 3 fast prime lenses will be a clear and possibly defining USP for Fuji provided the EVF is up to that on the NEX-7. For me the USP of the NEX range is MF Assist which allows the easy use of legacy manual focus lenses. Evidently, the mirrorless war is now taking off in earnest and, as I have opined elsewhere, it will not surprise me if MFT is an early casualty.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Seeing how poorly they managed the beautiful project of X100, I don't expect miracles from them. But if they get a good (hidden) partner in the project, like, say, Nikon could/should be - all's possible.

But frankly, there are far too many Nexes in the hands of the most dumbly active part of the audience. Fuji has no chance even with the Nikon behind them. They need Canon into the pack.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I like Fuji's ideas (almost anti Sony) in the way of body style controls and target user.
What I hate and with a passion is to see a great concept such as this ruined with some ham fisted power zoom and power focus. I loathe and detest power focus with a passion!

Leaving that aside this isn't a mass market product it's more a budget leica ala Voigtländer a more affordable range finder. I like the dual OVF/EVF Fuji listened there (and a firm slap in the face for EVF only fans..love it!)

Maybe they'll do a more affordable version who can say. I tip my hat though for making an effort and that's a heck of a lot more than Kodak could ever come up with of that there is no doubt.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

bfitzgerald wrote: What I hate and with a passion is to see a great concept such as this ruined with some ham fisted power zoom and power focus. I loathe and detest power focus with a passion!.
Maybe i'm missing something here but I've seen nothing about a powered zoom - just three primes. Of course, all AF systems are powered but it's not clear from what I've read whether MF is by wire, like the X100, or physical. However,since Fuji has said it will make an adapter available for Leica-M mount lenses i would assume that these Fuji lenses will also offer true manual focusing capability.

What really impresses me is that from the outset there are three very small, fast prime lenses available for this new system with more promised - and they are far smaller than Sony's efforts with the 24/1.8 and 50/1.8, and retro-focus, which will eliminate the lens cast issues which occur when using symmetrical legacy wide angles on digital sensors. If these lenses turn out to be promising - and given Fuji's excellent pedigree in this realm with their own and Hasselblad's medium format systems they should be - this lens advantage may be a significant selling point for the X Pro-1 compared with the NEX. Only small negative for me - at first sight - is that, unaccountably, the aperture rings rotate from wide to narrow in a clockwise fashion!

Unfortunately, since the Fuji's flange to sensor distance of 17.5mm is less than that of the NEX there would appear to be no possibility of adapting the lenses to E-mount.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Yup MF looks like not a lot of fun. I think makers were right to dump it years ago (bar Oly but then their DSLR division died a horrible death)

One silly comment "It will sell like crazy because it can easily replace the entry level DSLRs"

Well it might sell well (doubt it will be a massive mainstream product maybe a cheaper one might do better)
I can't see it replacing a lower end DSLR, unless he means a D7k or 60d but I don't call them entry models. For the outlay you can get a good DSLR and some nice lenses and a flash for just the body only price of the Fuji ;-0
artington
Imperial Ambassador

pakodominguez wrote:http://vladdodan.ro/blog/fuji-x-pro-1-hands-on-preview/
Focus by wire :-/
Clearly MF, aperture feedback by wire for Fuji lenses but obviously still old fashioned manual focus for adapted, legacy lenses, albeit without focus confirm.