Clone batteries and NEX-5n

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Clone batteries and NEX-5n

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I have a couple of non-Sony replacement batteries (ExPro, I think) which have been fine with the A55 and NEX-5. I've just got a NEX-5n arrived today and it immediately kicks them out as 'incompatible' batteries.

Anyone got any independent cells which are known to work in the 5n/7? I can recover my genuine Sony spare - left with the 5 for our daughter as there was no charger with the camera as handed over - but right now I seem to have two clones here, and only the Sony one which was in the 5n on delivery, so a bit limited.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Clone batteries and NEX-5n

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I have a couple of non-Sony replacement batteries (ExPro, I think) which have been fine with the A55 and NEX-5. I've just got a NEX-5n arrived today and it immediately kicks them out as 'incompatible' batteries.

Anyone got any independent cells which are known to work in the 5n/7?
Hi,
this one works on the NEX5, but not on the NEX7
http://www.adorama.com/LRDLZ307S.html
I just try this one at the store, and it works on the NEX7 -but I won't pay 40$ for it...
http://www.adorama.com/PQACD772.html
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Someone on dPreview flagged these up:

ebay 270897262168

They are 1300mAh as well, so I've ordered a couple.

David
johna901
Acolyte

Unread post by johna901 »

I bought a spare battery for my nex 5n via. Amazon UK. It was shrink wrapped and definitely genuine Sony and cost £38 instead of £76. It worked fine for 2 weeks, then the camera said "incompatible battery". Repeated re-tries would not get it going again - very frustrating!! Amazon were brilliant about a refund - they even sent a courier to collect it - at no cost to me. But I am still without a spare battery. So I would also be very grateful for an answer to David's question. While typing this, David posted a follow-on with a link to ebay. Please let us know how you get on with those ones, David.
John
A700, NEX5n, too many lenses.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Johna901 said
It was shrink wrapped and definitely genuine Sony and cost £38 instead of £76.
Don't be so sure they were original Sony batteries. I bought some for my A700/350/550/580 from Hong Kong. I could not see the difference (batteries and packaging) but they were definitely not the genuine stuff. They also varied between showing and not showing the dreaded "incompatible battery".
I would also like to hear the batteries David has ordered performed in his NEX-5N as this will give a clue to how they would perform in a NEX-&.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

It's a shame how consumers are ripped off for camera or cell phone batteries. You can get a $300 camera and then pay $80 for a replacement battery :shock: It makes me sick but as long as a few companies rule the market it won't change. Batteries or cell phone chargers are $5 articles but due to proprietary connectors you'll pay tenfold or more. :evil:
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Someone on dPreview flagged these up:

ebay 270897262168

They are 1300mAh as well, so I've ordered a couple.

David
Good finding,
Please, do no forget to give us feedback as soon as you get the new batteries!
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Richard T
Acolyte

Unread post by Richard T »

I've not had my 5N long before ordering an ExPro Power plus battery that seems fine so far, but v.limited use to date so will keep in touch.
RT
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

OK, update - the 1300 mAh Japan made eBay batteries work in all cameras. However, they report some odd capacity figures such as today 100% all day for shooting with NEX-5n and one battery - charge never fell (but the other battery used yesterday ran down to 7-14% of power, showing a random variation in figure when switched on, by the end of the day).

NEX-7 - the clone batteries clearly are wrong for the camera, because we tried to set up a new NEX-7 using a clone battery as the supplied Sony cell was not charged yet. No mattere what we did, the camera would not save the date/time setup and despite everything appearing to work, could not take any pictures. We thought the camera was faulty then I remembered that the battery was not official.

So, we swapped for a charged Sony cell - and the camera could be set up and worked perfectly. Later, after taking a few images with the Sony cell, I refitted the clone battery. And everything worked as normal.

But there is obviously a difference and the camera is not getting the same information. I would, I think, be very cautious in using the clone batteries; unpredictable effects on a new camera are not welcome!

David

NB: NEX-7 - had forgotten that this camera can not use my HVL-F20S NEX flashgun, or my Sony NEX external mic - no smart accessory show. Very annoying, as the NEX-5n also can not use either accessory and also use its electronic finder - and no other body can use the electronic finder... overall, a bit of a pig's ear in planning. I do have a Rode Videomic and I do have an HVL-F20AM flash and other flashguns but I don't like the fragmentation of my NEX system.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

David Kilpatrick wrote:
NB: NEX-7 - had forgotten that this camera can not use my HVL-F20S NEX flashgun, or my Sony NEX external mic - no smart accessory show. Very annoying, as the NEX-5n also can not use either accessory and also use its electronic finder - and no other body can use the electronic finder... overall, a bit of a pig's ear in planning. I do have a Rode Videomic and I do have an HVL-F20AM flash and other flashguns but I don't like the fragmentation of my NEX system.
I think you mean to say "I don't like the ineptitude of the Sony NEX system planners."

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
johna901
Acolyte

Unread post by johna901 »

There is a clone battery available in the USA that is claimed to be specifically for the NEX 5n. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... =fitbay-20
Has anyone in the UK tried this one? Or, for that matter, anyone anywhere tried it?
John
A700, NEX5n, too many lenses.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

There is a clone battery available in the USA that is claimed to be specifically for the NEX 5n. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... =fitbay-20
Has anyone in the UK tried this one? Or, for that matter, anyone anywhere tried it?
John
John,
This TechFuel battery is made in China and is listed as replacement for Sony's NP-FW50. I would enquire if the battery has been tested and functions on the NEX-5N. If so It should also work in the NEX-7 and I would be interested in purchasing one.
Richard T
Acolyte

Unread post by Richard T »

Hi John
The battery I refer to in my post above is stated as being specifically for the 5N & works fine so far with full reporting of % content etc, seems to have a similar life to the Sony one but that's my feeling & not a scientific test !
Good luck
RT