Sony NEX-7 Six Months On

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Sony NEX-7 Six Months On

Unread post by bakubo »

I read this article this morning:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... h_on.shtml

Seems like a pretty good assessment after 6 months of extensive use. Except for the EVF and lens comments most of the other things he mentions could be handled with a firmware update.

His comments about EVF dynamic range are the same ones I have been posting about since 2002. Fortunately, more and more people in the last year have been bringing it up. It seemed like before I was almost the only person who cared about it while most people were either satisfied or focused on things like resolution and/or lag time. Current EVFs are certainly quite usable and from 3 days ago I use one sometimes, but they definitely aren't WYSIWYG like is so often claimed. Lots of times there are things that your eye can see and that is captured by the camera, but you can't see when using the EVF.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Sony NEX-7 Six Months On

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bakubo wrote: Lots of times there are things that your eye can see and that is captured by the camera, but you can't see when using the EVF.
I believe the opposite could be a problem, but "finding more" than the EVF shows you is not -for me.

I understand your point. I'm ready to accept this EVF (the best on the market after all) on the NEX7 because there is no other solution. I can live with the high contrast since for me is just a reference (I use the Histogram for exposure) But I don't accept it on the DSRL now, and I probably won't in a couple of EVF generations.

Regards

PS: BTW, there is some mistakes and misconceptions on the article...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

bakubo wrote: Current EVFs are certainly quite usable and from 3 days ago I use one sometimes, but they definitely aren't WYSIWYG like is so often claimed. Lots of times there are things that your eye can see and that is captured by the camera, but you can't see when using the EVF.
Maybe not, but it's way more WYSIWYG than an OVF ever thought about being. A quick thumb-press of the playback button will verify what you've shot if there is any doubt with either system.

Ed
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

pakodominguez wrote:PS: BTW, there is some mistakes and misconceptions on the article...
Agreed. I've only had mine for two weeks and not having nearly the problems he mentions. The part about lenses being relatively too large for the body was just a waste of recycled electrons in my view. They have to cover the sensor size yet they are still smaller than equivalent comparable A-mount lenses.

Ed

Edit added - and he mostly keeps the 18-200 mounted which is larger than most, so go figure.
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

edrice wrote:
pakodominguez wrote:PS: BTW, there is some mistakes and misconceptions on the article...
Agreed. I've only had mine for two weeks and not having nearly the problems he mentions. The part about lenses being relatively too large for the body was just a waste of recycled electrons in my view. They have to cover the sensor size yet they are still smaller than equivalent comparable A-mount lenses.

Edit added - and he mostly keeps the 18-200 mounted which is larger than most, so go figure.
I read that article last night. One thing that struck me was his final conclusion - which is essentially what I had expected. I've been noticing that the vast majority of photos that he has posted over the last six months have been taken with the NEX-7, which led me to the conclusion that he is generally quite pleased with the NEX-7.

His conclusion was:

"The Bottom Line

To my mind there isn't a camera that packs more punch in a small lightweight package than the Sony NEX-7. For anyone looking for a light weight camera system, especially for travel, its hard to beat the NEX-7. With an appropriate adaptor it can take just about any lens ever made, including those from Canon, Nikon, Leica, etc. The EVF is state-of-the-art, it shoots HD video with full manual control if desired, and there's even a built-in flash. Yes, there are some really annoying interface issues, but nothing that a firmware update can't fix if Sony has the will to do so."

Essentially everything I have ever owned has had something that made it less than perfect. Accordingly, my philosophy is to look for something that does the best job of meeting my personal needs at a price I am willing to pay. If and when I decide to get a new smaller and lighter system to supplement my A700, I'll be taking a very hard look at the NEX-7. At the moment, when I want to carry a lighter system, I use my Minolta A2. It has some weaknesses, but will do most of what I need, most of the time.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Having had one for about 4 months I can endorse Michael Reichmann's comments. Particularly the one about the blasted video button which is a real PITA. I've lost count of the times I've found myself shooting video by accident. It's about time Sony came out with a firmware fix for this - it cant be hard and they've had plenty of time to note the complaints. Forthe most part, though, this is a great camera and I love it. Video button apart, that is!
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

artington wrote:I've lost count of the times I've found myself shooting video by accident.
Now that I can definitely agree with. My thumb is currently undergoing reindoctrination so that my wife doesn't have to put up with a string of expletives. I figure another couple of outings and I'll have it trained.

Ed
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

edrice wrote:I figure another couple of outings and I'll have it trained.

Ed
You're a better man than me!
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

artington wrote:You're a better man than me!
Probably not. Maybe just overly optimistic.
mdcromer
Initiate

Unread post by mdcromer »

I am really not sure what he is talking about re: shadow detail.

With contrast set to -3 in "portrait" creative style, and "Liveview Display Show Settings Effects -- ON" my Alpha 65 EVF shows a boatload of shadow detail.

I really wonder what his NEX settings are.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

mdcromer wrote:I am really not sure what he is talking about re: shadow detail.

With contrast set to -3 in "portrait" creative style, and "Liveview Display Show Settings Effects -- ON" my Alpha 65 EVF shows a boatload of shadow detail.

See the section with this title in the article below where he describes his settings for using the NEX 7 EVF:

13 December, 2011
Creative Styles / EVF / Live View Display

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... view.shtml
mdcromer
Initiate

Unread post by mdcromer »

bakubo wrote:
mdcromer wrote:I am really not sure what he is talking about re: shadow detail.

See the section with this title in the article below where he describes his settings for using the NEX 7 EVF:

13 December, 2011
Creative Styles / EVF / Live View Display

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... view.shtml
It's clear that he knows how to maximize DR in the EVF.

What is not clear is whether he continues to run with those settings today, or has changed them for other reasons. That is why I asked him what settings he is using when he suffers from blocked-up shadows in the EVF.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

With the DRO technology of Sony, I don't know why they have not tried to put it live in the view finder with the different level in option like: Off, Auto (DRO 1 to 5), and manual.

I think DRO 5 live in the view finder will act mostly like human eye in a OVF.

My little finger is telling me that probably that is what they will do on next bigger camera model ... let's see.

And also another dream is to have the possibility to do DRO option in video ... :-).

My only worry about all that kind of idea ... is if the actual processor in the NEX 7 is able to do it, and if yes ... he will create more temperature...

For my ~2 months of use, I'm mostly in line with the comments of the article ... but like any other tool ... I'm trying to be use too and adapt myself.

The manual control accessibility is what every time push me to almost kiss the camera at each photo :-).

Regards,

Frank
Last edited by InTheSky on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

mdcromer wrote:It's clear that he knows how to maximize DR in the EVF.

What is not clear is whether he continues to run with those settings today, or has changed them for other reasons. That is why I asked him what settings he is using when he suffers from blocked-up shadows in the EVF.
Let us know what he says. I suspect that since he went to so much trouble to experiment and then write about what he does in the article that that is what he does. Anyway, when you get the response from him let us know. Thanks.