Going from A900 to NEX 7! Help Please

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
deathvalleydave
Heirophant

Going from A900 to NEX 7! Help Please

Unread post by deathvalleydave »

Hi David,

I sold all my A900 gear, with the intent of getting the D800, but during the time I've been waiting, I've actually had a change of heart, and just ordered the NEX 7 with 18-55.

My change of heart is that it seems at base ISO, the NEX 7 has equaled the A900 for resolution? I saw on DXO it has over 13ev dynamic range? So, that's also more than the A900?

All in all - the NEX 7 looks like the super hot portable camera with the best IQ for the money - would you agree?

Thanks,
Dave
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Going from A900 to NEX 7! Help Please

Unread post by bakubo »

If I recall you mostly do landscapes, right? If so, then you probably don't need or even want all the big, fast zoom lenses for the D800. The NEX 24mm, 50mm, and maybe some old MF lenses with adapter would suit you well, I bet. Or, maybe even skip all the NEX AF lenses and just use old MF lenses. You don't need fast AF and maybe don't even need AF at all. Everytime I have held a NEX 7 I have thought the feel in the hand was very good. The EVF, especially for landscapes, would be fine, I think. The tilt LCD would make it easy for when you have it mounted low on a tripod. Body + lenses much smaller and lighter than the D800 + lenses. To top it off, the NEX 7 is not so expensive compared to a D800. Try it out and if it doesn't work for you then probably easy to sell for a good price.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Going from A900 to NEX 7! Help Please

Unread post by peterottaway »

I have kept my A 850 when I bought my Nex 7, although I'm not usually sentimental over camera bodies I just can let go of it. Perhaps it was the realization that it was the last OVF and traditional style camera I would own, but even so I have always enjoyed using the A850 in a way few other cameras have appealed to me. Also I tend to use the A850 more like I would have a MF camera in the past.

After the A850 the Nex 7 does take a bit of getting used to even though I have the smallish lightweight A33 some time. At this stage I don't think that the 24 MP on the Nex is capable of delivering every last 1 % and every nuance that the FF 24 MP sensor can deliver but unless you are into pixel peeping and not photography then it won't matter.

Both the Nex 7 and the A 77 are incredibly cheap for what you can get from them. Prices vary but I worked out I could get a A77 and a Nex 7 with AF adapter and the new 16 - 50 zoom for about the same price as a Nikon D 800. Or as Bakubo has pointed out a pretty fair Nex 7 kit and the option of being able to use almost any 35mm lens plus some MF as well.