NEX 7 autofocus compatibility with LA-EA1

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
deathvalleydave
Heirophant

NEX 7 autofocus compatibility with LA-EA1

Unread post by deathvalleydave »

Hello,

I have the NEX 7, and if I get the LA-EA1 A-mount adaptor, will the following lenses autofocus on the NEX 7:

Sigma 8-16 for Sony a-mount
CZ 16-80
Tamron 60 F2 Macro for Sony a-mount (I read that this one features an integrated AF drive)
Sony 50 2.8 Macro

Thanks in advance for input. Also, what is the difference between "SAL" and "SAM" lenses for Sony? And, does this also play a role in whether or not the lens will autofocus with the NEX 7's CDAF design?

Basically, what I'm trying to determine is if Sony APS-C lenses and 3rd party lenses made for the Sony A-mount will use the NEX 7's CDAF. Please note that I'm not interested in getting the translucent adaptor for NEX. My goal here is to squeeze out as much IQ as I can from the NEX 7 using the LA-EA1 adaptor only.

Lastly, if I use any of the lenses listed above on the NEX 7, is it mandatory to turn the OSS off on the NEX 7's Camera settings? And would I effectively have no stabilization using these lenses with the NEX 7?
deathvalleydave
Heirophant

Re: NEX 7 autofocus compatibility with LA-EA1

Unread post by deathvalleydave »

I did some research and see that the LA-EA1 adaptor is only compatible with SAM / SSM lenses, so am I correct in stating it will be autofocus with all of the budget primes that say "SAM", like the 50 1.8, 30 2.8 Macro, 35 1.8, 85 2.8, and 18-55 SAM?

Next question I guess would be, will it autofocus with the following 3rd party lenses for the Sony a-mount crop sensor:

Tamron 60 F2
Sigma 8-16

Lastly, can you possibly point me to any other 3rd party lenses other than the Sigma 18-250 which have optical stabilization for Sony? Which in effect I could still get some stabilization and autofocus using the LA-EA1 adaptor.

Thanks!
Dave
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Sorry, but I can't help you as I own the LA-EA2 and at the moment I don't own any third party A or E mount lenses.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Deathvalleydave - on my Nex 5, with the LA-EA1, may Tamron 60/2 auto focuses, but so slowly that I prefer to use MF. I believe that the LA-EA1 will allow autofocus with the SAL SAM lenses, but as I don't own any I can't give you exact guidance or a view of performance. I believe that DK has said it is still quite slow with SAM/SSM lenses. The Nex 7 + LA-EA1 may also be a bit zippier with its more recent s/w etc.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.