Canon ILC due soon.

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: Canon ILC due soon.

Unread post by alphaomega »

I got an email from WEX photographic today inviting me to place a pre order for £769 with a kit lens.
Half the argument for these types of cameras was a more affordable price, yet they are more expensive than DSLR's.
Barry, I purchased a NEX-5N body new the other day for £350 and awaiting £50 back from Sony. £769 is ridiculous even with a kit lens. Mind you as it is based on the 650D sensor it's a "bargain" compared with Jessop's £800 price for 650D with kit lens. Sarc/off
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

I think we should thanks Canon for bringing at least competition for the same kind of camera and body. Samsung was there but not enough strong to force Sony to adjust some firmware mistake and add better feature to the camera line up.

I this can bring some more small lenses or a faster zoom one.

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I tried to find the register distance... anyone? :?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

Dr. Harout wrote:I tried to find the register distance... anyone? :?
18mm, same as the NEX.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Lonnie Utah wrote:
Dr. Harout wrote:I tried to find the register distance... anyone? :?
18mm, same as the NEX.
Thanks Lonnie.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

InTheSky wrote:I think we should thanks Canon for bringing at least competition for the same kind of camera and body. Samsung was there but not enough strong to force Sony to adjust some firmware mistake and add better feature to the camera line up.

Frank
I don't think anyone (specially Canonistes) ever imagine such a boring camera...
http://www.eoshd.com/content/8578/canon ... f-m-system

We'll need a new model in order to bring some stimulus to the competition. The Nikon 1 at least
was innovative with the new AF system, but the 1 inches sensor size, was a mistake IMHO.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

pakodominguez wrote:
InTheSky wrote:I think we should thanks Canon for bringing at least competition for the same kind of camera and body. Samsung was there but not enough strong to force Sony to adjust some firmware mistake and add better feature to the camera line up.

Frank
I don't think anyone (specially Canonistes) ever imagine such a boring camera...
http://www.eoshd.com/content/8578/canon ... f-m-system

We'll need a new model in order to bring some stimulus to the competition. The Nikon 1 at least
was innovative with the new AF system, but the 1 inches sensor size, was a mistake IMHO.

Aoutch ... This is not a beautiful reply to a canon launch on a "technically" pro canon user website ...

I think canon will sell a good number of this camera for the people sticking to the brand and inspiring to be able to reuse their current canon lens investment. I think the only think now to really kill this camera is if Metabone will be buy by Sony and they will sell the adapter for 150$. Because the adapter make you almost feel you are using a Sony NEX lens in front for the camera except that you don't have a the manual focus (but this is the only thing not working so far). But ... one of my friend who live almost just for Canon just bought yesterday a RX100 and he was writing on Facebook that he cannot believe so far how good the camera is ... and probably he already (like some Canon user) spend the budget for the EOS-M.

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

One thing is for sure, they got their pancake lens right; 35mm equivalent at f/2 is so much more useful, right out of the box, than Sony's 16/2.8, and only a tick slower than Sony's uber-premium 35mm equivalent, the 24/1.8. Admittedly, Sony's pancake has a pair of WA adapters for a decent price, but that's more investment.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Well, that's an individual opinion. I never had the slightest interest in a 35mm f/2 when I used full frame and didn't even want the 65mm lens Fuji RF camera, had to get the 45mm lens one. My most used and useful lens was always the 24mm and I'd say Sony's 16mm f/2.8 was absolutely perfect as the launch pancake.

In the meantime, Canon with 1.6X sensor is left with a 29-88mm kit zoom (equivalent) and a 35mm f/2 and no real wide-angle option at all. Anyone who thinks the RX100 lacks a wide angle 'end' will think the same about this launch.

David
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

I think the 35mm equiv. lens is a good choice, and matches a popular focal length from the past. But I have to say, I got the 16mm and have had a lot of fun with it. I think David is on to something, that Sony really made a clever choice providing 1) a wide angle that doesn't overlap the kit lens and 2) provides decent quality in a range that hasn't been covered as much or that well. Combined with the adapters, it's an inexpensive way to get into ultra wide lenses.

In the past I would have said, if I had to have just one focal length, it would be 35mm FF equiv. (24mm on the Nex), but I have used the 16mm (24mm equiv.) as the sole lens on a few outings, and have been pretty happy with it, even with the corner softness and CA issues.