Canon ILC due soon.

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Canon ILC due soon.

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I think we all knew they would do it:
http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-mirrorl ... ed-in-may/

I'm no Canon fan, but you can't write them off they have enough muscle to make it stick. If I were Olympus I'd be a bit worried
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Canon ILC due soon.

Unread post by Birma »

I'm sure it will be a very nice camera. The S and G series compacts have been great. It will be interesting to see how they approach this market without impacting their low end DSLRs at the same time. I'm not convinced the Nikon approach (J1/V1) is a long term winner.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

The rumoured Canon approach is quite sane, actually. The 4/3 sensor format at slightly smaller height allows for much smaller lens designs while keeping most of the existing EFS protocol. Could be a pretty well balanced system for those who can stand the 4/3 image format.

But I can't understand why nobody makes smaller Nex lenses to cover the central square 1/1 crop of the Nex sensor, or any other crop of the sensor. Such lenses would be much smaller than the current 'full' Nex APS designs, but a 1/1 crop at sensor full height would still be a very nice thing with enough Mp's when cut out of existing 24Mp.

Nikon may actually also 'promote' its 1 system to square (or almost) sensor since their 1 sensor width is actually the APS height.
bfitzgerald

I suppose we will know more shortly but it looks like the G series is the theme behind it and that's probably a very sensible approach as they've been very popular for some time now.
No I'm not convinced by the Nikon "1" take either bit too newbie for my own tastes, leaving the sensor size out of it (would be a great size for a non lens change compact) they seem to sell them though and fairly well can't see why but hey maybe Ashton works for the audience.
Point being it's getting pretty crowded out there now and when this Canon arrives surely someone will have to bow out. My money is on Samsung leaving the camera industry in a few years, they've done well in electronics but just don't command respect from buyers the name isn't working for them at all
bfitzgerald

Here you go..

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/07/new- ... f-m-mount/

Have to say expected a G type body (maybe one will arrive later on) this looks more newbie angle to me, but hey at least it will stop the mirror less fans from complaining they have lots of choices.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

I will say shortly before to go to bed: not a big stress for Sony I think ... , for my first look this camera is not able to compete the NEX 5N that is 1 years old ... But probably I'm wrong :-).

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Headcell
Initiate

Unread post by Headcell »

What' with all this retro styling? I guess it's fine for the smaller lenses, but I really need a grip if I'm loading on a larger lens (as I would if I had a Nex).

My real gripe with the Nex (Nex 7 excpted?) and other CSCs is that rather than offering the advantages of pocket sized camera and DSLRs, I find they offer all the DISADVANTAGES of pocket cams with the benefits of DSLRS, namely: NESTED MENUS (bad, bad, bad! I want to press a button to invoke the flash, change mode, ISO, AEL, etc).

Before I bought the A580 I looked at the Nex 3 and 5, and discounted them the moment I encountered the terrible menu system.

Of course, a small body can't accommodate as many buttons as a curvaceous DSLR, but please give me a few that take me directly to relevant menu settings.

Another point is that these cameras are over-priced. I think prices are going to have to drop a long way before consumers start buying them in droves. The company that takes the loss leader approach will surely win the CSC race.
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

bfitzgerald wrote:Here you go..

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/07/new- ... f-m-mount/

Have to say expected a G type body (maybe one will arrive later on) this looks more newbie angle to me, but hey at least it will stop the mirror less fans from complaining they have lots of choices.
Goes to show power of Nex. Canon tries to copy it ....

5N is still superior and it's up for update in a month anyway ...
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Initiate wrote
My real gripe with the Nex (Nex 7 excpted?) and other CSCs is that rather than offering the advantages of pocket sized camera and DSLRs, I find they offer all the DISADVANTAGES of pocket cams with the benefits of DSLRS, namely: NESTED MENUS (bad, bad, bad! I want to press a button to invoke the flash, change mode, ISO, AEL, etc).
As usual it is "horses for courses". I was out on a "test run" the other day with a smallish bag containing a NEX-5 with 16mm pancake and W/A converter loose as well as my new NEX-5N with 18-55 zoom fitted and 55-210 zoom loose giving me coverage from 18mm to 315mm in 35mm equivalent format. To achieve that with my Sony DSLRs would probably at least double the weight and bulk and that is not for me any more. I was amazed at the IQ produced by the 18-55 on the NEX-5N. So I can put up with the menu system to get that coverage & IQ with a much reduced weight. With the two bodies I will also only need to expose the sensor when fitting the tele zoom and that will be a rare occasion. If I need fast action I can still employ my Sony Alphas but increasingly it will be the NEX system that will do the bulk of work.
bfitzgerald

I got an email from WEX photographic today inviting me to place a pre order for £769 with a kit lens.
Half the argument for these types of cameras was a more affordable price, yet they are more expensive than DSLR's.
I appreciate that will come down..but ILC models are grossly overpriced IMO

It's yet another con from the photo industry save money on parts and assembly time and charge more for it!
Mix in the much hated and previously abandoned power focus and I find these models utterly devoid of any original thinking.
I've yet to see any models that half appealed, even the Fuji one messed up with power focus.

The industry is going backwards IMO
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Pako
------------
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

5N is cheaper but better than the Canon ... F3 is even cheaper still
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

OneGuyKs wrote:
5N is cheaper but better than the Canon ... F3 is even cheaper still
You are not the only one thinking this way:
http://wideopencamera.com/cameras/canon ... fications/
Pako
------------