Black Sony 18-200 NEX fit Zoom release

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

Black Sony 18-200 NEX fit Zoom release

Unread post by alphaomega »

From SAR
Interesting notes:
If you were wondering what’s the difference between the enw 18-200mm lens and the old 18-200mm lens read Asai’s (Sony manager) statement at Amateur Photographer: “Costing £670, the new 18-200mm will be £30 cheaper than the existing version. However, it does not offer the same level of image stabilisation and its minimum close focusing distance is 30cm, compared to 50cm on the current model, said Asai.”
What is the point? Why would Sony reduce the effectiveness of built in image stabilisation? I guess the reduction in close focusing distance would be welcome by some.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Re: Black Sony 18-200 NEX fit Zoom release

Unread post by agorabasta »

They had a problem of not offering a kit for P&S superzoom upgraders. The original SEL18-200 is way too expensive and large for that purpose.

So they simply add a cheap Tamron-based superzoom and are now able to offer a good enough relatively cheap kit.

I expect to see F3/18200LE kit having that lens at about half its standalone MSRP.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

They had a problem of not offering a kit for P&S superzoom upgraders. The original SEL18-200 is way too expensive and large for that purpose.
So they simply add a cheap Tamron-based superzoom and are now able to offer a good enough relatively cheap kit.
Good point agorabasta. Here is the quote from Amateur Photographer
Costing £670, the new 18-200mm will be £30 cheaper than the existing version. However, it does not offer the same level of image stabilisation and its minimum close focusing distance is 30cm, compared to 50cm on the current model, said Asai.
So why would anybody (other than those craving the Sony name on the lens) spend £670 on essentially a Tamron lens when you can buy the Tamron on Amazon UK for £500 delivered? I think that David Kilpatrick quite likes his Tamron 18-200 for NEX.
Not sure Tamron will appreciate the comment that their image stabilisation is less efficient than Sony's own. Maybe reviewers can pass a verdict here.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I expect that once things settle down there will be more difference in the price - the new lens is overall a smaller package as well - in SGNL they gave the idea that the new lens was for stills people, and the "more expensive" and larger original model was really for the videographers and was a kit lens for the Nex Video bodies (VG20 etc.).

Unless it was better than my SEL 55-210 at the long end I'll stick with changing lenses :) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

The SEL18200 is a video lens, primarily. So it's able to stabilise image with no jerks in real time. That's a completely different and more complex type of IS.

The new LE version will find some sales due to lower (and to lower further) price; but I believe, it's main intention is the kit sales.
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

Y.A.W.N.

Hey Sony, what happened to the 2012 roadmap. Are we taking a detour??
Last edited by Lonnie Utah on Thu May 17, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Owning a Tamron 18-200, I can say the image stabilization is just excellent. Full stop.