Manual Focus assist when using LA-EA2 on Nex7

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
jrosen2
Acolyte

Manual Focus assist when using LA-EA2 on Nex7

Unread post by jrosen2 »

Hi all. I recently got the LA-EA2 and the alpha 16-105mm lens as well as the Sigma 10-20mm. My Nex7 is set up so that when using manual focus lenses, to get magnification I push the AF/MF button. With E system lenses, turning the focus ring while half pressing the shutter brings on the magnification.

How do you enable magnification using the LA-EA2 with AF and Sony alpha lenses?
agorabasta
Viceroy

Re: Manual Focus assist when using LA-EA2 on Nex7

Unread post by agorabasta »

With the adapted lenses you must assign the focus assist to some button. It doesn't work automatically.
jrosen2
Acolyte

Unread post by jrosen2 »

I think I may not have explained myself to well. I want to autofocus with the alpha lenses attached to my Nex 7 and LA-EA2. However I would like to tweak the focus using magnify assist when I think it may be necessary. There appears to be no way to accomplish this with the LA-EA2 and attached lenses. Assigning focus assist to any button does not work - you get the error that it is unavailable when autofocus is enabled. Also holding the shutter at half press allows you to adjust focus on the AF alpha lenses but there is no magnify assist as there would be with E lenses.
Those of you with the LA_EA2 adapter: have you somehow set an adjustment to allow focus assist magnification?
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

You first push the AF/MF button (must be set to 'toggle'), then push the assigned MF assist button.
All's perfectly clear and straightforward.

What you really want is a DMF function with adapted a-mount lenses - that's not available with SAM lenses on LA-EA2 just as it is not on a-mount bodies. It's available with screwdrive lenses. though. But you still need to start the MF assist yourself.

Of the lenses you've got the 16-105 is a screwdrive lens, so just set the body to DMF. The Sigma 10-20 may be both screwdrive (older) and the newer HSM - the latter functions just like a SAM lens, no DMF available.

And I didn't check the SSM lenses.
jrosen2
Acolyte

Unread post by jrosen2 »

Thanks for the reply.
1. When I push the af/mf switch which has been set to toggle and DMF I get the error 'Invalid when af/mf select is set to Autofocus. Available with manual focus'.
2. I assigned the focus assist to another button and I get the same error.

So

I reset the camera and now it works as you described.

Many thanks.