Nex-7 vs OM-D. A personal take

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: Nex-7 vs OM-D. A personal take

Unread post by classiccameras »

I think we can safely say now that Olympus have all their eggs in the Micro 4/3 basket and there is no going back.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:I think we can safely say now that Olympus have all their eggs in the Micro 4/3 basket and there is no going back.
Sure hope so. If they started being as aimless, meandering, and wandering as Sony there would probably be lots of angst among Olympus owners too. I don't see much though so that's a good thing.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

bakubo wrote:
Sure hope so. If they started being as aimless, meandering, and wandering as Sony there would probably be lots of angst among Olympus owners too. I don't see much though so that's a good thing.
Eh, I'll stick with Sony myself. Seems to me that they continue to deliver.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Vidgamer wrote:Eh, I'll stick with Sony myself. Seems to me that they continue to deliver.
Sony seems to be okay to me too. I was referring to classiccameras and Barry who can find nothing good about what Sony is doing. Their angst is legendary about what they see as a aimless, meandering, and wandering Sony. :lol:
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Ok, then! I was wondering...

I think Sony has a direction (mostly), but it may not be where everyone wants to go. I think my cameras have been pretty good bang-for-the-buck solutions.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Actually I have been quite positive about my A37 and A57, plus the Sony lenses. I stay with Sony mainly because I love their colours and ease of use.
I also like the legacy glass which is one reason I came cover to Sony.

If they wind up A mount it kind of feels they have abandoned you and I think what critism I have directed towards Sony is valid in light of what they are doing or not doing. I think Sony are in a rather tumultuous transition at the moment.

When Olympus stopped 4/3 DSLR production and the 4/3 mount, there was a lot of very dismayed owners who felt Olympus had dumped on them, many jumped ship but as one wise person said, just because a model range has stopped production doesn't mean your camera/equipment stops working. I like that.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Now I've got that left out feeling, but it'll pass. :cry:
Greg
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

bakubo wrote:
Vidgamer wrote:Eh, I'll stick with Sony myself. Seems to me that they continue to deliver.
Sony seems to be okay to me too. I was referring to classiccameras and Barry who can find nothing good about what Sony is doing. Their angst is legendary about what they see as a aimless, meandering, and wandering Sony. :lol:

I see it all as a missed chance to really establish A mount in the industry, so I can't apologise for being critical of Sony they really have done some downright stpid things over their time in charge, yes some decent bits too, but at every turn every single time Sony did something good..they blew it with their next model

I think that's a sign the company is basically clueless, and the top management are bottom line idiots. I could word it nicely but that's how I see it, and after Sony's disaster financial problems it's difficult to argue against that :mrgreen:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:I see it all as a missed chance to really establish A mount in the industry, so I can't apologise for being critical of Sony they really have done some downright stpid things over their time in charge, yes some decent bits too, but at every turn every single time Sony did something good..they blew it with their next model

I think that's a sign the company is basically clueless, and the top management are bottom line idiots. I could word it nicely but that's how I see it, and after Sony's disaster financial problems it's difficult to argue against that :mrgreen:
Sorry, I didn't really mean to pick on you or classiccameras. I don't even disagree about much of what you say, but not everything. You have to admit though that you aren't shy about telling us...more than once. :lol:
classiccameras
Viceroy

No probs bak, I guess we all have a different angle on the subject.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Given that Minolta couldn't keep the A-mount going, I see Sony as having given the mount a 2nd chance. While I'm not sure I like some of the choices they've made either, it seems like an impossible task to take Canikon on, head-on, so I can't be too harsh on them making some unusual choices (SLT?). Having said that, I'm not all that thrilled with the SLT concept, but it does have its advantages. It at least gives people a choice where before they had none.
classiccameras
Viceroy

In defence of Sony and the SLT system, it out performs in many areas equvalent DSLR's from Canikon, Sony auto focussing is class leading and metering isn't far behind either. Ok you either like or loath EVF but I'm in the middle position, I get on OK with EVF as I do OVF.

Most reviewers latch on to the SLT reducing light to the sensor, but they make far to bigger deal about it than is fair in favour of promoting Canikon. Sony built in compensation for this, OK at a slightly reduced high ISO performance, doesn't bother me.

Sony DR in most cases is excellent and the lenses in most cases are superior. I would have to use 'L' grade Canon glass at high prices to meet the same optical quality as Sony. I think the colour reproduction and colour quality with the exception of may be Fuji in my opinion are exceptional.
On a very positive note, What Camera magazine web site gave more gold awards to Sony SLT cameras than any Canikon equivalent, A55, A35, A37,A57,A65, all gold awards. Ephotozone and several other review sites gave the A37 Editors choice and one gave 'Essential', don't often see that. Ok WC Mag may not be the best review site on the planet, but they don't give away gold awards for nothing. So I hope this has been more in praise than critisism of Sony SLT.
Having said that, if I did jump ship, there's a huge choice out there, and those who have read my past posts on this know my short list.
CC
bfitzgerald

I'm not sure SLT has made any difference for Sony
I'm still of the view it's a compromise, the A57 is good and I like using it in most situations, but it's a bit of a pain in the rear end in harsh lighting, that is a major weakness.

I would still grab an OVF camera and I miss not having a choice on that.
The biggest gripe with Sony is they just don't seem to be in touch, they are almost indifferent to their users needs or desires.
Other than that, they have repeated some errors over and over again (dumbing down, not updating models in a timely manner)

I don't see them having a big impact on the market, when I go out folks just kind of look at you in a very odd fashion for not using Canon. I don't mind myself couldn't care less, but they just don't have the respect some makers do. I mean all the brand stuff aside, if Sony were an amazing choice wouldn't more people be using them?

And not people like me looking for a bargain, I mean as a choice over other makers.
classiccameras
Viceroy

I think any body who is that disallusioned with Sony and has very little good to say about them or their cameras should seriously consider another brand, simples, and no offence intended to any one cos that includes me to a point.
bfitzgerald

Problem is finding an alternative.
I'm not touching Nikon again and I'd be very cautious about Pentax (not just on my problems but longer term they are small and who knows what might happen)
I keep playing around with Canon they're ok, but I wasn't overly impressed with the low light AF on the 5dMkII I've been playing with.

It's a bit iffy in low light even the central AF point
The system is strong, no question lenses wise and third party big support. If I sit down and tot up what I have A mount and try to replicate that on Canon..well I'd have to ignore IBIS because it would cost a bomb to replace all those lenses with IS (and some you can't get even if you pay the outlay)

I just wish someone at Sony would wake up one morning and start to put a bit more effort in. It's all about E mount which I find entirely uninteresting