Canon 17mm F4.0 TS-E on the Sony NEX 7 -> WOW !

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
InTheSky
Viceroy

Canon 17mm F4.0 TS-E on the Sony NEX 7 -> WOW !

Unread post by InTheSky »

We have a good photo store a few minutes of walks from my work and I decided to finally tried the Metabone adapter for NEX with the incredible Canon 17mm 4.0 TS. If you rent the lens after 16h on Friday and returning it before monday 12h, it is consider as only one day. So just 45$ Canadian to play almost three day with this baby, but first this was for money work.

I was looking to get a way to get the best of the possibility of the NEX 7 for commercial use and limiting the effect of wrong lens with this sensitive sensor on wide angle lenses. The result so far is WOW :-). I have always almost impossible space to get this kind of picture, so the 17mm was the limit to be able to play with the angle with almost FREE distortion. (in fact ... I'm looking at my picture in Lightroom at this moment ... and I cannot see one picture where I need to do a lens adjustment ...)

Other impressive observation is that lens is kind of bullet proof to flare ... even with a flash directly kicking on the side to trace of losing contrast or detail ...

I don't know if I will have time this weekend to play with the lens, but is so, I will post some other result.

Frank :-)
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Canon 17mm F4.0 TS-E on the Sony NEX 7 -> WOW !

Unread post by artington »

Frank

How has your experience been using other Canon lenses on the NEX via the Metabones adapter?

Martin
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Cool rig Frank :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
InTheSky
Viceroy

artington wrote:Frank

How has your experience been using other Canon lenses on the NEX via the Metabones adapter?

Martin
Sorry ... I'm late on the answer.

So far I haven't really get time to play with Canon lenses. My only experience is when visiting friend are the 85mm 1.2 where in video is very great and for picture also. Unfortunately I found that the 135mm 2.0 is not working and even more that this lens has a strange 3 connector more that other canon lens (probably design for a previous Camera that don't exist any more). Metabone told me I can send back the adapter and they will put the last firmware that now support this lens. (I have my old Minolta Md 135mm 2.0, so I can live like that for the moment)

The IS system of the 70-200mm 2.8 was looking to work, but I just tried it a few minutes.

I'm looking to borrow the 50mm 1.0 of one of my friend to catch some video in the future.

The Metabone adapter was really to target renting Tilt and shift Canon lens when I need to do Industrial equipment photo where so far I'm very satisfy with the result adding the NEX 7 in the setup.

But in conclusion, once you have this adapter the Canon work like if you have a NEX lens in front of the camera. What impress me the most is when you turning the focus ring of the lens your NEX understand it and can show you the zooming factor for proper adjustment. And having the complete EXIF info is a bonus. Aperture move smoothly and I think only Metabone has been able to achieved that as today.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
InTheSky
Viceroy

Birma wrote:Cool rig Frank :)
Thanks, I think probably an External bigger LCD will be on the rent list next time also ... I found difficult when I need to take shot over my head to properly see on the tiny LCD (I didn't had a ladder with me ... ).

Frank
Frank