NEX-5R and NEX-6 + lenses rumour on SAR

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

NEX-5R and NEX-6 + lenses rumour on SAR

Unread post by alphaomega »

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/indonesi ... i-support/
Could be genuine. Sounds like something Sony might do. Not interested in the cameras as I am happy with my NEX-5 & 5N combo but I would certainly look at the 16-50 and 11-18 pancake zooms if they materialise and are any good.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: NEX-5R and NEX-6 + lenses rumour on SAR

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

We are only one month way from photokina as far as Japan is concerned, they normally get the gear over to Germany a month ahead of the show and start training their reps. So it is almost certain the A99 and new NEX models are being used right now in Europe.

David
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

The worst / best part is the new hotshoe type, going back to iso hotshoe seems to be the biggest step Sony make after removing OVF.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Mark K wrote:The worst / best part is the new hotshoe type, going back to iso hotshoe seems to be the biggest step Sony make after removing OVF.
by new "hotshoe type" you mean?
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

pakodominguez wrote:
Mark K wrote:The worst / best part is the new hotshoe type, going back to iso hotshoe seems to be the biggest step Sony make after removing OVF.
by new "hotshoe type" you mean?
SAR is reporting that the A99 comes with the old ISO hotshoe, and an adapter to allow use of iISO accessories. Supposedly so Pocket Wizards and the like will work on them. Maybe also because (way too late) someone realized that being the odd man out is NOT a good thing.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
alphaomega
Viceroy

Well, finally Sony seem to have listened to the pleas for a NEX-6 consisting of a NEX-7 with a 16Mp sensor, except apparently the EVF will be of a lower grade.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony ... el-sensor/ but then you get Wi-Fi.
Only problem for me is that I got that NEX-5N (£300 new) and I am happy with it as I use a ClearViewer costing $53 plus posting at UK VAT. I am suitably impressed by the quality of that little gem and I wonder what a new 16Mp sensor can deliver over and above the NEX-5N one.
I am finding that I get on well with a small bag containing a NEX-5 with 24mm pancake and NEX-5N with 18-55 zoom plus the W/A converter & 55-210 zoom "loose" in the bag. Use the 24mm more often now that I don't need to change lenses. Also never need to change cards and rarely battery when out. And LR 3.6 can handle both so no need to get into LR4 and new computers. And the sun is shining here in Scotland as well so life is sweet.
alphaomega
Viceroy

I am amazed at the apparent lack of interest in Sony's rumored new NEX products here. Here is another addition, namely phase detection pixels on the NEX-5R sensor enabling the best of the Phase Detection and Contrast Detection in one go.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-nex- ... on-sensor/
SAR gives this rumour an SR5 label, so based on previous performance this is likely to be true.
Only problem for me is that I find the NEX-5N to be pretty fast except on the 55-210zoom. Amazing how they can continue to come up with new features providing an improvement over something that is already good enough for most purposes.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

alphaomega wrote:I am amazed at the apparent lack of interest in Sony's rumored new NEX products here.
My dear,
no offense, but rumors are not really interesting is you have other things to do in life, like work hard with the equipment you already have and that you don't really plan to upgrade until they pay for itself (please read DK thread about cost of equipment)

Probably this is not the right forum for discussing about rumors on new equipment anyway. There is a couple of long threads on DPR that talk about it. The one about the changing back the hotshoe to the Maxxum 7000 system is quite interesting -even if the idea of changing back the hotshoe is plain stupid...
alphaomega wrote: Here is another addition, namely phase detection pixels on the NEX-5R sensor enabling the best of the Phase Detection and Contrast Detection in one go.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-nex- ... on-sensor/
Sony had been bringing excitement to the photo industry, specially since they took over Minolta camera division. They will first match and then surpass the competition (not necessarily in sales, wven if apparently they are doing quite well). Today competition for them, in the NEX department, is AF speed and accuracy. And is the Nikon 1 system that is far ahead in that regard (the rest of the Nikon 1 system is just OK...) So we all expected Sony to improve AF before a rumor site start making noise about it.
alphaomega wrote: SAR gives this rumour an SR5 label, so based on previous performance this is likely to be true.
Here we go again: they label their rumors and we need to believe...
alphaomega wrote: Only problem for me is that I find the NEX-5N to be pretty fast except on the 55-210zoom. Amazing how they can continue to come up with new features providing an improvement over something that is already good enough for most purposes.
There is nothing amazing about it! all the manufacturers need to improve and create new products in order to subsist!

I had the chance to speak with the Sony Senior Marketing Director of the Alpha division at the PDN - Photo Plus Expo here in NYC last October. I was concern about OVF future and I asked him about the A900 replacement. He told me that the next FF Alpha will be EVF (and that he didn't know if we'll see any other OVF camera in the near future, but he told me that nobody at the Sony headquarter had killed OVF yet) and his reasoning was this:
-There is not much to improve in the OVF department after the state of art A900's OVF.
This means, no more challenge. And they need challenges.
-Ten years from now, do you see cameras (not just Sony) with OVF?
Man! no, I don't see that many OVF cameras in 2022. It will be a niche product, like film, view cameras, etc...

But all this are not rumors. this are conversations with someone I can quote because there is nothing to hide. Probably I don't like rumors because I'm not excited about the next camera. Sony already proof they are the most dynamic camera company right now, and I'm happy with my decision of stick with them when they took over Minolta.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;