NEX 7 + LEA1 + Sony 24./2 Zeiss

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
kuau
Acolyte

NEX 7 + LEA1 + Sony 24./2 Zeiss

Unread post by kuau »

I just tried this lens on my NEX 7 with the LEA1 adaptor.
I shot it at F8 on a tripod and used manual focus.
Although the center 2/3 rds of the frame were sharp the corners just were not there.
I took the exact same image with my D800E with a Zeiss 25/2.8 again tripod, manual focus, LV, etc. Results were much better on my Zeiss/Nikon combo, and I am not accounting for the extra 12MP the D800 has.
I was wondering if the LEA1 adaptor has anything to do with this?
The reason I ask is I am thinking about picking up a A77 while waiting for the A99
According to David's review I should be getting very good results but I'm not there,
Steven
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: NEX 7 + LEA1 + Sony 24./2 Zeiss

Unread post by pakodominguez »

hi Steven,
I don't believe the loose of sharpness is due to the LA-EA adapter, specially if the problem is in all the corners. Did you try the same lens in a different camera?
Regards

Pako
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jeep1
Initiate

Unread post by jeep1 »

The LA-EA1 does indeed seem to not work well with all lenses. My 14mm f2.8 Samyang for instance it a top manual performer on my a900 but looks soft on my NEX-7 via the adapter, the same must be true of the LA-EA2 also, which makes me wonder how viable that would be on a future full frame NEX-9 as David suggests.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

jeep1 wrote:The LA-EA1 does indeed seem to not work well with all lenses. My 14mm f2.8 Samyang for instance it a top manual performer on my a900 but looks soft on my NEX-7 via the adapter, the same must be true of the LA-EA2 also, which makes me wonder how viable that would be on a future full frame NEX-9 as David suggests.
I understand Agorabasta owns and use the very same lens (Samyang 14mm f2.8) on his NEX (5n? or 7?) all the time and he seamed extremely happy every time he talks about -I don't know what kind of adapter he use...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Hi, Pako,

Me still here :twisted:

That Samyang is perfect. The adapters on Nex do shift infinity and the close focus on the Nex, and that's quite bad. Though all depends on the particular Nex used (so that's a Nex/adapter prob, for sure). But all the power is still there 'in the pants of beholder'.

Though there was one particular instance that I noticed my Samyangs starting to blur left side horizon while making forefront crisper there while being focused at infinity in the centre.
I then went to tighten all the screws around the Nex7 mount, and then the relevant crews on the adapters and on the Samyangs themselves.
Really, the heavier lenses need some mount tightening now and then. Same goes for the very native original Sony SEL18200 - everybody should be tightening its mount screws on a regular basis.

And nothing really beats the Samyang 14f2.8, especially on APSC that is.

P.S. Adding a worst case example with a 100% crop of the worst part
Attachments
DSC03176.jpg
(204.81 KiB) Downloaded 3165 times
DSC03176-2.jpg
(204.2 KiB) Downloaded 3298 times
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

agorabasta wrote:Hi, Pako,

Me still here :twisted:
I know ;-)
agorabasta wrote: That Samyang is perfect. The adapters on Nex do shift infinity and the close focus on the Nex, and that's quite bad. Though all depends on the particular Nex used (so that's a Nex/adapter prob, for sure). But all the power is still there 'in the pants of beholder'.
What adapter are you using? a plain one? one of the Sony adapters?
agorabasta wrote: Though there was one particular instance that I noticed my Samyangs starting to blur left side horizon while making forefront crisper there while being focused at infinity in the centre.
I then went to tighten all the screws around the Nex7 mount, and then the relevant crews on the adapters and on the Samyangs themselves.
Really, the heavier lenses need some mount tightening now and then. Same goes for the very native original Sony SEL18200 - everybody should be tightening its mount screws on a regular basis.
Interesting... I haven't notice any issue with the LA-AE1 (that I don't have anymore) or the LE-AE2, that I have and occasionally use. I had a plain adapter I bought for my Minolta MC/MD lenses that didn't allow me to focus at infinity. I got a second one that is perfect. I got a third one, a tilt adapter, that had the same non infinity focus issue, the seller replaced for a new one that works as expected...
agorabasta wrote: And nothing really beats the Samyang 14f2.8, especially on APSC that is.
I thought about this lens, but it is too big for my bag (...) and now that Sony announced the SEL 10-18mm f4 OSS, well, I don't need to become a Samyang client (until the tilt and shift 24mm f3.5 hit the shelves)

Regards
Pako
------------
agorabasta
Viceroy

The better side is here -
Attachments
DSC03176-3.jpg
(247.39 KiB) Downloaded 3298 times
agorabasta
Viceroy

pakodominguez wrote:What adapter are you using? a plain one? one of the Sony adapters?
Those were the Sony native LA-EA's, both them all :) (actually, two of 1's and one of the 2)

The problem is that, the heavier lenses hanging off that tiny body while you are running around the beach and the mountains around there, don't really help the mount tightness; even less so if you happen to carry the thing in one piece all around without any kind of holster.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

agorabasta wrote:
pakodominguez wrote:What adapter are you using? a plain one? one of the Sony adapters?
Those were the Sony native LA-EA's, both them all :) (actually, two of 1's and one of the 2)

The problem is that, the heavier lenses hanging off that tiny body while you are running around the beach and the mountains around there, don't really help the mount tightness; even less so if you happen to carry the thing in one piece all around without any kind of holster.
So Sony was right...
;-)
REF: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=42468916
Quoting DK:
" From A99 spec as shown on WEX site, this neat little sentence covers all the control dial and wheel failures of the past six years, summed up in one reason why they think it has been happening - YOU emoticon - smile

"Controls also feature a durable structure that withstands the touch usage of advanced amateurs."

That's it - you 'advanced amateurs' have a 'touch usage' which needs 'withstanding'. You are not careful, precise Japanese engineers just big old clumsy maulers...

Love it!

David "

;-)
Pako
------------
agorabasta
Viceroy

Pako, I'm not an engineer as much as I'm a physicist. Being such, I foresee the loosening of tight fixtures made between hard parts, as all the workload stress manifests itself at the smallest crossection parts.
Reads - have your Samyangs on plastic bodies like those a55-57-37. The latter two sport focus peaking - may help at times. Personally, I believe a 14/2.8 deserves a dedicated a37 body at the very least. But then you need that ISO50 of an a77, and that's no plastic... Errrrm..!
jeep1
Initiate

Unread post by jeep1 »

That's interesting, I'll check the mount out. I saw some very fine landscapes on the NEX forum of DPreview taken with said Samyang and NEX-7, when I reported that I was not getting satisfactory results with my combo, the photographer said there was always one small same area of the frame that lacked definition. I also thought of trying out a cheap sony alpha to NEX adapter and wondered if the larger diameter 'throat' of adapter would make any difference.