artington
Imperial Ambassador

NEX-6 promotional videos

Unread post by artington »

alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: NEX-6 promotional videos

Unread post by alphaomega »

The more I read/see/hear about the NEX-6 and that pancake 16-50 zoom the more I look forward to receiving that kit. I think this is the ultimate camera for me.
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

The more I read/see/hear about Alaska, the more I know I have to go back.

Ed
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Its on my list too. Along with the Arctic, Antarctic, Patagonia.... India in December and very tempted to get the NEX6 kit to take with the NEX7 - mainly to get access to the pancake 16-50 zoom which looks ok to the extent you can make a judgement from the test images. Unfortunately the lens wont be available unbundled till January. I did buy the revised 18-200 LE but had to return it - simply too soft at infinity. Very disappointing for a £600 lens and makes you wonder whether Sony is pumping the price of the NEX lenses - had been intending to buy the 10-18 but have concluded its just too dear. So I've got the Samyang 8mm to go with my Sony SEL 16/2.8, which covers the range pretty well at considerably less cost.
Almazar80
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Almazar80 »

I want a NEX-6 as well, but what do I do with my NEX-7 (which I love). BTW, I found the original 18-200 better than the Tamron 18-200 (which the new Sony 18-200mm is basically a clone of). Of course, this could just be due to sample to sample variation?
alphaomega
Viceroy

I did buy the revised 18-200 LE but had to return it - simply too soft at infinity.
I use my E18-55 and E55-210 zooms for still photography on my NEXes. I have the Sony A18-250 and Tamron A18-270 but I basically think these long lenses are not as good as they could be for still photography. I must admit that the A lenses are fine for video. I am impressed even with MP4 using my A580 and the Sony A18-250. As I understood it, the Sony E18-200 was mainly aimed at video enthusiasts.
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

alphaomega wrote:The more I read/see/hear about the NEX-6 and that pancake 16-50 zoom the more I look forward to receiving that kit. I think this is the ultimate camera for me.
I'm very interested in the NEX-6 myself, especially in a twin kit with 16-50 and 55-200.
alphaomega
Viceroy

There was nothing in the promotional video promoting the excellent quality of the inbuilt microphone because it must be bloody good since Sony apparently have not provided an input for an external mike.
I was completely floored when I discovered this fact. I thought without checking that with the new hotshoe there would be provision to use the ECM-ALST1 microphone that fits my A580. The ways of Sony are indeed incrutable.
Anyone with any suggestions or "inside knowledge"? There seems to have been some discussion on DPReview but nobody have so far been able to tender a viable suggestion as to how to overcome this problem.
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

I thought I'd read somewhere that the new hotshoe itself allows for direct audio input. Presumably you'd have a microphone attachment that doesn't require a lead to go into a separate input, as with the ECM-ALST1.

Of course that would likely mean a new proprietary attachment to be purchased...
alphaomega
Viceroy

Things have progressed beyond promotional videos to the real "thing". Got an e-mail this morning from Wex Photographic to advise me that my NEX-6 and 16-55mm pancake lens were ready for dispatch. Frankly I had been let to believe that the kit would be earliest November because of 16-55 deliveries. So now I expect to receive delivery on Wednesday. This will be my last camera purchase for quite some time and I am pondering the sale of my NEX-5. Can't dispose of my 16mm pancake as I need it between my W/A converter and the lens body to get some wide angle coverage. Will definitely also keep my NEX-5R. Looking forward to trying out this combination and the EVF in particular.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

alphaomega wrote:Things have progressed beyond promotional videos to the real "thing". Got an e-mail this morning from Wex Photographic to advise me that my NEX-6 and 16-55mm pancake lens were ready for dispatch. Frankly I had been let to believe that the kit would be earliest November because of 16-55 deliveries. So now I expect to receive delivery on Wednesday. This will be my last camera purchase for quite some time and I am pondering the sale of my NEX-5. Can't dispose of my 16mm pancake as I need it between my W/A converter and the lens body to get some wide angle coverage. Will definitely also keep my NEX-5R. Looking forward to trying out this combination and the EVF in particular.
:D Congrats :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr