Using a rather different legacy lens

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Using a rather different legacy lens

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

For no real reason other than that I could -and perhaps curiosity - today I installed and used a legacy lens on my NEX-6 that is the antithesis of the NEX system, at least as I view the system. For me, the reason to use a NEX is because it is small and light but still delivers images that I consider to be of good quality - assuming that I do my part of the process as I should. Today I installed the Minolta Maxxum 28-135mm f:4-4.5 lens on my NEX-6, and that lens is FAR from being small and even farther from being light.

I had no serious goals in mind, so I just wandered through Central Park, playing with the camera-lens combo to see what kind of images it would yield. I found the performance acceptable, but I definitely do not envision using the Maxxum 28-135 on the NEX-6 on a regular basis. With that lens on the camera, I felt that the combination was very unbalanced, and I never got comfortable with the handling. I have no real complaint about the results, but I don't think that they offset the handing issues. Here are samples from today's walk:

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Attachments
28x135-601234.jpg
(148.26 KiB) Downloaded 2118 times
28x135-601200.jpg
(174.85 KiB) Downloaded 2118 times
28x135-601206.jpg
(245.5 KiB) Downloaded 2118 times
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Using a rather different legacy lens

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Hi Tom,

What adapter did you use?
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

pakodominguez wrote:What adapter did you use?
I used Sony's LA-EA2.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Tom. The lens has a very good reputation and it is sometimes fun to try out different combinations. I can imagine that the 28-135 is not ideal handling-wise on the Nex. I am still hoping for further walk-around zooms to come out in the Nex range.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

UrsaMajor wrote:
pakodominguez wrote:What adapter did you use?
I used Sony's LA-EA2.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Hi Tom,

Well, the LA-EA2 is a (wonderful) bulky adapter, and the Minolta 28-135 is a medium size and heavy (for today's standards) zoom... not really a good combo for, lets say, street photography ;-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;