nex 6 flash off camera flash question

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

nex 6 flash off camera flash question

Unread post by gio67 »

does a normal flashcord suffice for this.secondly is there a wireless transmitter/receiver that can do this job and also fire the shutter
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: nex 6 flash off camera flash question

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The pins of the new flash shoe do not have any provision for wireless triggering of the camera (a pity in a way) or for any alternative type of wireless flash. Any normal hotshoe adaptor cord should work find for triggering a remote flash, and any standard IR or wireless trigger will also work.

However, you'll need to change the EVF/LCD to show an auto gain image with manual exposure. A Minolta or Sony remote cable (the full specification type) will signal to the camera that a flash is being used, will set flash shutter speed, and make the EVF/LCD show a normal image. Any other flash won't tell the camera a flash is in use, same for remote triggers/wireless like PocketWizard or Skyport.

David
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Re: nex 6 flash off camera flash question

Unread post by gio67 »

David Kilpatrick wrote:The pins of the new flash shoe do not have any provision for wireless triggering of the camera (a pity in a way) or for any alternative type of wireless flash. Any normal hotshoe adaptor cord should work find for triggering a remote flash, and any standard IR or wireless trigger will also work.

However, you'll need to change the EVF/LCD to show an auto gain image with manual exposure. A Minolta or Sony remote cable (the full specification type) will signal to the camera that a flash is being used, will set flash shutter speed, and make the EVF/LCD show a normal image. Any other flash won't tell the camera a flash is in use, same for remote triggers/wireless like PocketWizard or Skyport.

David
thanks David,
whilst I was thinking all this, I had completely forgot about my a 580, it,s just the off camera flash I,m interested in especially HSS so thats just the thing,
Will try a few experiments with the nex though.