Anyone any experience with UK sony repair? Brand new 5R prob

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Highlandsnapper
Initiate

Anyone any experience with UK sony repair? Brand new 5R prob

Unread post by Highlandsnapper »

I posted this at Dpreview but got no response :arrow:

So I bought the NEX 5R after selling off my A700 and bits n bobs and thought I will give the nex a go for a while so bought the 5R. Dark nights here so never been out the house since I got it a week ago.

Bought the timelapse app and first go shutter jammed closed after 15shots, power on and off a few times then battery out, straight away happened again. Few mins later again. So next morning was getting it ready to send in for repair and I dropped the thing about a foot onto a tiled floor.

Now the rear control wheel is not working and the casing has a crack in it.

Already sent it off to sony in Wales but I don't hold out much hope of any warranty repair now. I obviously disclosed I dropped it.

What do you guys thing will happen and what should I expect costs to be?

The camera has never even seen daylight yet not even outside the house once!

I am so angry as I have always kept all my gear in pristine condition.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Anyone any experience with UK sony repair? Brand new 5R

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

What will happen? You'll have to wait until the sun returns and the traditional distilled methods of driving away gloom are no longer needed :-) I'm always amazed how many things I drop over the festive season despite remaining entirely sober the whole time!

I've been testing the Canon 6D which has an app onboard (in effect) for remote trigger connection to an iPhone. It's great and totally unreliable. Software sucks. I hope, of course, that you can get the camera fixed. I have very few hard floors. Even my office has that flocked vinyl stuff over boards. I would worry about handling gear near a hard floor.

david
Highlandsnapper
Initiate

The fun has not stopped yet, the front cross member on my 4x4 has decided to part company with the rest of the car on Christmas day!

Apparently there is a worldwide recall on it.

Well actually with the exception of the UK so I am again *#*t out of luck. :x
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Ouch Highlandsnapper! I hope you get the camera and car fixed soon.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

When I purchased my NEX-5 kit with 18-55 zoom and 16mm pancake the 16mm suffered from being totally unsharp on the RH side. Rather than returning the kit I sent the 16mm to Sony and they repaired and returned the lens within a week or so under warranty. I can only say that my experience was satisfactory. If you explain the situation as it is you may get the shutter fixed under warranty but I don't see them replacing the casing or control wheel. This could be expensive. I guess you will get a quote first before they carry out a repair. Sony will probably want to be paid first.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

David Kilpatrick wrote: I've been testing the Canon 6D which has an app onboard (in effect) for remote trigger connection to an iPhone. It's great and totally unreliable. Software sucks.

david
Very surprised to hear this, David, because all other reviewers say its the best wifi implementation out there (except possibly the GH3). I know the LV AF is said to be slow but that is surely a LV contrast focus issue rather than a wifi software one. I know this is an alpha forum but as you brought it up I thought I'd pursue it and I shall watch out for your 6D review too (BJP?). I have decided after much thought to exit from Sony DSLRs in favour of Canon because of lens availability mainly although wifi remote control is a huge plus for me if it allows critical focus to be seen more easily on a hi res smart phone screen, hence my interest in your comment. I'm still really happy with the NEX7 though and will be happier stil if a full frame version emerges which can use LM lenses.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

The BJP review needs an addendum if I can't make the iPhone pair quickly and without hassle with the camera. Here's the problem: the iPhone will automatically join my main wifi, or any other wifi it can find, the moment the camera wifi drops. Settings don't change this behaviour. The camera drops its hotspot creation very readily, during menu operations etc.

Every single time you have to reconnect the camera creates a new secure login and displays a password. You have to juggle to keep the camera displaying the password, and active, and stop the iPhone losing the connection. Once you get the two to talk, provided you have not had to enter the wifi menu on the 6D, the remembered password will work. But if it doesn't for any reason - camera not seen by the phone - you have to go into the setup menu.

Once you do that you are back to square one. We wanted to do a family pic, so I just positioned the 6D and got our my iPhone. For no apparent reason, it didn't see the camera or log on to the selected camera network automatically. About five minutes later I gave up and used the self timer.

For this function to work, it has to be completely free of such issues. The times you are most likely to want to use the function are exactly the times when faffing about with new passwords and stuff are not needed.

David
Highlandsnapper
Initiate

As it stands Sony wont do the repair without the proof of purchase....

If I cant get a proof of purchase than I have a problem.

Oh and the tracking no. I got for the new parts for my car, £300 worth does not exist in the courier's system. So god knows where they are.

2013 a lucky year? Appears not to be the case so far. :oops:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Highlandsnapper wrote:As it stands Sony wont do the repair without the proof of purchase....

If I cant get a proof of purchase than I have a problem.
Do you mean they won't do a warranty repair without the proof of purchase or do you mean they won't even do a paid repair without it?

Good luck with the camera and car. Maybe you are getting all your bad luck for 2013 right at the beginning and then it will be smooth sailing the rest of the year!
Highlandsnapper
Initiate

So far proof of purchase as far as there concerned my sealed box is second hand, fair enough. But the crazy thing is they will accept a scrap of paper saying it was a competition prize from the UK as proof !

So far the man I bought it from has not replied to me about proof (in Sony's eyes) of purchase.

I don't even know if I do get proof if its a free repair or a costly one. Were stuck at the proof of purchase for now.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I hope you can get this sorted. Ref 6D - setting up a non-secure connection solves most of the problems, but the problem then is anyone with a WiFi device can 'join' your camera!

David
Highlandsnapper
Initiate

Finnaly got a hold of the guy, he bought it direct from Sony. No prize. The plot thickens. Said there is a recipt somewhere but not sure if he will be able to find it.

Fingers crossed, leasson learned.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I hope you can get this sorted. Ref 6D - setting up a non-secure connection solves most of the problems, but the problem then is anyone with a WiFi device can 'join' your camera!
Interesting. What could a person do if they connected to the 6D? Can they delete photos, take photos, transfer photos to their device, etc.? Do they need special Canon software on their device or just a web browser? I am not clear on how these new wifi enabled cameras work.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

If they had the EOS Remote app installed on their phone - it is entirely free - they could read photos off the camera, and take control of shooting if the camera was in live view mode. You can't control the camera in optical viewfinder mode, all you can do it view images on it, remotely.

David
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

David Kilpatrick wrote:If they had the EOS Remote app installed on their phone - it is entirely free - they could read photos off the camera, and take control of shooting if the camera was in live view mode. You can't control the camera in optical viewfinder mode, all you can do it view images on it, remotely.

David
Good of you to revert on this, David, and it puts to rest the concern that your earlier comment elicited. I would think that camera-wifi hacking would be an extremely unlikely occurrence, particularly in the field, and not one that would bother me. I suppose there is the potential for signals to get crossed if there are other EOS remote users nearby unless it is possible to set channels but, again, I think this unlikely to be a common occurrence.

My interest in this is because it provides an alternative for higher mag LV critical focusing to a non-articulated LCD since -absent an EVF - this is rather harder to do with a fixed vertical screen. Since I predominantly use MF it would,however, be a little more cumbersome than with an articulated screen but as my Galaxy S3 screen is both large and razor sharp it is still a very useful aid.

Of course, using a Sony a99, with its evf, would be an alternative but unfortunately there are, as yet, no T&S lenses for alpha mount so that diminishes its attractions for me for landscape work although that may change if the proposed Samyang 24 TSE materialises and is any good.