pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

SIGMA 60mm F2.8 DN

Unread post by pakodominguez »

SIGMA 60mm F2.8 DN A (Art)
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/sigma-60mm-f28-dn
And the revamp of the 19mm and 30mm
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/sigma-an ... pplus-2013

The 60mm does not seams that impressive. Close focus or magnification specs are quite conservative. I think this new Sigma will have a hard time competing with the Ubber-Sharp Sony SEL 50f1.8 that has image stabilization, better close focus and cost only 300$...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jeep1
Initiate

Re: SIGMA 60mm F2.8 DN

Unread post by jeep1 »

My reaction also. The existing 19mm is good, the 30mm excellent, so it seems that apart from a redesign and no added OSS not much new is being offered, so no compelling reason to replace my existing Sigma 19 and 30mm lenses. From a NEX perspective I don't find 60mm very exciting, and that one could really use stabilisation. 75mm would have been more useful focal length, but I'd also like macro focusing and stabilisation, so I don't want much:-)
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

jeep1 wrote:From a NEX perspective I don't find 60mm very exciting...
As a 90mm eqv FOV it does get you close to that classic 85mm portrait focal length. I have a Tamron 60/2 1:1 Macro in A-mount that doubles as a nice portrait lens, if they made that in E-mount I'd be quite tempted.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

redsim74 wrote:
As a 90mm eqv FOV it does get you close to that classic 85mm portrait focal length. I have a Tamron 60/2 1:1 Macro in A-mount that doubles as a nice portrait lens, if they made that in E-mount I'd be quite tempted.
Yeah, but this new lens is not a macro...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Marcell Nikolausz
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Marcell Nikolausz »

pakodominguez wrote:
redsim74 wrote:
Yeah, but this new lens is not a macro...
If it would be macro, I would buy it without hesitations.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

I've a suspicion that the 60 is a by-product of the 30, sharing most of its elements/design. So that was likely cheap to develop. And now they have a 'kit' that may substitute a fast 19-60 zoom, delivering a generally better IQ than whatever might be expected from such a zoom.
Anyway, that 60 makes sense mostly together with 19 and 30.
jeep1
Initiate

Unread post by jeep1 »

redsim74 wrote:
The reason I said that is that the Sony 50mm 1.8 OSS has more advantages as well as reasonable cost, it also makes an excellent portrait lens. I'd like a slightly longer NEX prime with both macro focusing and OSS.