New NEX-7 successor in two months?

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

New NEX-7 successor in two months?

Unread post by alphaomega »

SAR have a SR4 rumour
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-firs ... successor/
I predict the new universal shoe and a hybrid Phase and Contrast detection sensor as the prime attractions. My guess they will stay with 24Mp.
Based on this
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-fin ... increased/
Sales of interchangeable single-lens cameras increased significantly year-on-year.”
It would seem as if a lot of "steam" will be put behind the development of the NEX system.
Too bad for Sony that I am happy with my NEX-5N & 6 as well as current lenses. Just waiting for a reasonable price for the E-mount 10-18mm.
What is even worse (for Sony) I am so happy with my RX-100. There comes a time where what you have is good enough for what you want to do.
redsim74
Oligarch

Re: New NEX-7 successor in two months?

Unread post by redsim74 »

alphaomega wrote: What is even worse (for Sony) I am so happy with my RX-100. There comes a time where what you have is good enough for what you want to do.
A good friend of mine asked me recently for a camera recommendation, with no hesitation I suggested the RX-100. She's absolutely in love with it and taking great photos.
alphaomega
Viceroy

I was surprised by David Kilpatrick's comment in this recent article
http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2013/02/1 ... er-the-58/
He wrote
In March, a NEX-7R is expected – this, following Sony numbering, will be a 7 with on-sensor PDAF added and compatible with the revised and new lenses which work with on-sensor PDAF in the NEX-5R and NEX-6. The next month, a budget model NEX-F3R will complete this compatibility at entry level.

The model numbers given by Nippon Camera are different from those rumoured on the web. 7n would indicate no PDAF on sensor, no touch screen where 7R would indicate both. Either way, a new 7 will have the new Multi Function Accessory shoe. F3R indicates built-in flash, PDAF and touch-screen.
quoting from Nippon Camra. If the N does indicate no PDAF I would have assumed that Nippon Camera was wrong, but after reading some comments posted on the A58 perhaps they are right. Coming back to my "senses" I still believe that Sony would not be stupid enough the introduce a NEX-7 upgrade without PDAF. I could belive that a touch-screen would be omitted though, presenting a dilemma between N and R. What about NEX-7P? Anyway I am surprised (again) that the NEX-3N only has contrast detection AF even although the kit lens can handle PDAF as well.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

SAR tell me that they think the Nippon Camera NEX-F3R is an error. I'm not sure what Sony may plan and to be honest I'm slightly bored by the constant chasing of details of specification which have no effect on my practical use or results from the camera.

Part of this is down to the fact that for most of my working life, I've been both a studio photographer and general out-and-about shooter. The entire Sony lineup has left studio work in second place now. I've honestly been wondering whether to part with my mint 70-400mm SSM G (which I never use) in exchange for a similarly mint Alpha 900 again. I switched to using the A700 in the studio, but I'm having to stand on steps and cram my back against things to get subjects well framed with my 70mm Sigma macro. I actually need full frame. The A99 is just no good for studio work as the memory positions can not be set to recall 'show effect' in the EVF or not - meaning that I can not have a single convenient position for flash, and one for tungsten, and one for outdoor work as I had on the A900. I get slowed down and forget to change settings.

David
jeep1
Initiate

Unread post by jeep1 »

I'm very glad I kept the faith with my A900, although I never was really won over by the translucent mirror idea, I don't mind EVF as in my NEX-7 but would sooner have conventional mirror and optical finder or no mirror and EVF as in NEX.
alphaomega
Viceroy

So SAR is back about the new NEX-7. He is calling it a NEX-7n whatever that implies
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-new- ... el-sensor/
So he is now upgrading his prediction to SR5 from SR4 originally.
Sony just announced the new A58, NEX-3n and the three A-mount lenses but as I told you you will only have to wait one month to see some more exiting new stuff! According to multiple sources (and by the way…Thank you all!) there will be a new announcement in early April. And that time we are certainly going to see the new “Sony NEX-7n“. The shape of the camera will not be that different from the current NEX-7. But I have been told Sony worked a lot to address and improve many if the limits of the current NEX-7 model. First of all it will have a new 24 Megapixel sensor with phase detection pixels on sensor. I repeat, it’s a new sensor and not the same of the current NEX-7. One source told me the new sensor delivers 1/3 of a stop better quality.

Also the internal electornic circuitry has been completely redesigned and I have been told there will be no more over heating issues (Hurray!). And one source just told me the EVF is amazing! I am currently contacting the trusted sources to confirm the specs I got about the camera. I will post them as soon as they confirm them.
Better ISO performance and focus speed from new 24Mp sensor and no video heating. Sure the new shoe will be on as well and a new EVF. Maybe even Barry Fitzgerald might be impressed by the new EVF (or maybe not).

So the new NEX-7n will have PDAF even although (per David Kilpatrick) it should not have
The model numbers given by Nippon Camera are different from those rumoured on the web. 7n would indicate no PDAF on sensor, no touch screen where 7R would indicate both. Either way, a new 7 will have the new Multi Function Accessory shoe. F3R indicates built-in flash, PDAF and touch-screen.
It just shows you that Sony are "all over the place" with their terminology. A shame for InTheSky that this release is too late for him as he has now invested money and effort into the A99.
Winkler Prins
Initiate

Unread post by Winkler Prins »

alphaomega wrote:So SAR is back about the new NEX-7. He is calling it a NEX-7n whatever that implies
That may be very good news (if it is true). New EVF is interesting because current EVF's are good but do not suit everyone's needs. So improvement is welcomed.
It also shows that Nex 7 was not a one time only hero-model (this was the case with A900, excellent quality but no improvements or successors over time). Improvements in noise performance and tech feautures means the 7 series will stay a interesting option for buyers, compared to the lower end models that also get these improvements.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

alphaomega wrote:...A shame for InTheSky that this release is too late for him as he has now invested money and effort into the A99.
But you are neglecting the fact that the new NEX-7n (or whatever) is still an APS-C camera. So I think Frank made the right choice. :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr