The Best Wide angle zoom lens for Sony NEX 7 : 10-17mm F2.0

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
InTheSky
Viceroy

The Best Wide angle zoom lens for Sony NEX 7 : 10-17mm F2.0

Unread post by InTheSky »

Searching to be most of the time on my NEX system, I needed to find a way to get the best experience as possible for Wide angle shot with possibility of low light photography.

So this is so fare the best setup I tested. I think I will adapt it for my 2 weeks holiday starting tomorrow. I will post some wildlife picture and probably film also.

Technically from Metabone, this become a ~10-17mm F2.0 (0.71x factor), but In really this give the same aspect has if you were using the lens on a Full frame camera (because APS-C are usually 2~3 times worse compare to full frame for noise VS ISO, it become almost the same because there is two time more light in the camera).

Frank :-)
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: The Best Wide angle zoom lens for Sony NEX 7 : 10-17mm F

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Hi Frank,

I saw a couple of those adapters on eBay, on different mounts (I am more interested on a Minolta MD-MC or A-mount adapter) but, since there is a piece of glass on it, I'm curious about how it affect the image quality. The seller only warns about flare (sun into the lens).

Did you already try the lens with the metabones adapter and a plain adapter in order to find any image quality difference?
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Nice looking rig Frank. Have you seen the Nex 10-18? I've seen good reviews of it so far, but it is expensive.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

InTheSky wrote:.... but In really this give the same aspect has if you were using the lens on a Full frame camera (because APS-C are usually 2~3 times worse compare to full frame for noise VS ISO, it become almost the same because there is two time more light in the camera)....
Is it that much? I thought it was just 1 stop difference (maybe 1.3?). Anyway, the adapter is still a good idea.

As for quality, I've seen some people post photos with sunlight flare that seemed to be worse with the adapter, but aside from that, I guess it looks good. What else are you going to do to obtain a FF Nex? ;-)

I keep occasionally trying the 16+UWA combo, but I haven't exactly gotten into the habit of going ultra-wide.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

When do we see some samples from this combo?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I have the Sony 10-18mm zoom and I am quite impressed. Would like to see a comparison between the Sony and InTheSky's set-up. Looks large and heavy compared with the nifty Sony.
InTheSky
Viceroy

pakodominguez wrote:Hi Frank,

I saw a couple of those adapters on eBay, on different mounts (I am more interested on a Minolta MD-MC or A-mount adapter) but, since there is a piece of glass on it, I'm curious about how it affect the image quality. The seller only warns about flare (sun into the lens).

Did you already try the lens with the metabones adapter and a plain adapter in order to find any image quality difference?
I'm sorry, I'm currently in holiday with not a huge access to internet (in fact in the last 5 days I didn't have access, kind of cure for me :-) ).

So, the Metabone has almost not defect. But the new adapter Turbo for NEX To MD mount in wonderful, except yes for the flare.

I have done some test, but so fare except for the flare, I HIGHLY recommend the Turbo adapter NEX to MD for who (like me has good collection of MD lenses).

I will try to upload some picture, but my current internet connection via my Iphone 5, is very week where I'm living.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
InTheSky
Viceroy

alphaomega wrote:I have the Sony 10-18mm zoom and I am quite impressed. Would like to see a comparison between the Sony and InTheSky's set-up. Looks large and heavy compared with the nifty Sony.
I tested the adapter in a good store in Montreal before my holiday, and I almost bought it. In fact I was there to purchase the incredible 35mm 1.8 for E-mount, but unfortunatly there was no one in stock. The guy at the store recommend me to purchase it only at B&H ! I was surprise to suggest me to do that, but he told me that If I really wanted it for my holiday that what he will do... :-).

the Sony 10-18mm will be for sure in my list once I sold all my Full frame gear, this lens is very sharp and precise. On great sunny day, you have a killer lens for video.

Frank
Frank