That tricky 6 or 7 question

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Re: That tricky 6 or 7 question

Unread post by Vidgamer »

Yildiz,thanks for the praise, but I'm sure there's a lot I didn't cover! Most people worry about the mp, but there's also the PDAF, different controls, apps,etc.

The tri-navi control on the 7 is highly regarded by some. If you like to go manual, it might be very appealing.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Vidgamer wrote:Yildiz,thanks for the praise, but I'm sure there's a lot I didn't cover! Most people worry about the mp, but there's also the PDAF, different controls, apps,etc.

The tri-navi control on the 7 is highly regarded by some. If you like to go manual, it might be very appealing.

Thank you, Vidgamer.

I hear what you mean. I also hope nowadays that Sony is on the right path for the A-mount DSLRs, since reading a couple of articles on new arrivals. I guess they like keeping us in the guessing game...

Yildiz
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Well, if this SR3 rumour is anything to go by (probably not as the source is a Sony rep through a user and DPreview) then there will be a tricky 6 or 7 question for me probably in the form of A6000 or A7000
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-new- ... oming-too/
In two-three weeks Sony will announce the new high end APS-C E-mount camera. And a Sony rep shared some info with a Dpreview forum user. He writes:

1- Yes, the “NEX” name is gone, 100% guaranteed.
2- “Alpha” will be the new names for the APS-C mirrorless cameras.
3- APS-C Mirrorless cameras will have model numbers in the thousands….just like the Alpha 3000 and Alpha 5000.
4- NEX-7 has been discontinued. The NEX-6 will also be discontinued in the future, probably about a month before the replacement is announced. Reason why it has not been discontinued and the NEX-7 has, is because it has sold very well due to its low price.
5- NEX-7 successor will be announced in the first quarter this year. Rumored model name of “Alpha 7000″ is not confirmed as of now, simply a rumor. Not even the Sony rep could tell him what the final model name will be, but he did say it will be the flagship APS-C mirrorless camera without a doubt.
6- Sony is working on a F2.8 fixed zoom lens (probably a 16-50 or 17-55). They plan to release a new APS-C lens road map when they announce the NEX-7 successor.
I am pretty confident that the information he shared is correct. A f/2.8 would be certainly a welcome addition to the ASP-C E-mount world.
With the release of the recent E Tessar 16-70 F4 I cannot see why Sony would duplicate at F2.8 but stranger things have happened when Sony is involved.
Barry Fitzgerald will find "grist to his mill" in the comment
Reason why it has not been discontinued and the NEX-7 has, is because it has sold very well due to its low price.
That is the NEX-6 referred to and I would add a qualilty camera at a competitive price. There you go Sony and BF had a point. I would definitely sell my NEX-5N and replace it with a second NEX-6 successor if equipped with 20Mp sensor and A7 type EVF.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I am quite happy with using the Nex 7 and the A7r as a kit although I have to admit that having become used to the A7r with battery grip, the Nex 7 feels funny at times.

So a 20 / 24 MP APS camera using an A7 style body and accepting the same grip would be an even nicer prospect ( Christmas 2014 ? ) for me.

Should the 24-70 and 70-200 duo turn out to be good performers, then I would have everything from 24mm to 300mm in 2 lenses. Throw in an 18mm wide and a macro lens then it would a decent traveling kit together with my carbon fibre tripod and a medium flash.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Anyway, no need to worry about choosing between a NEX-6 and 7 or successors as there will only be one new model (per SAR)
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-nex- ... -in-april/
In early February Sony will announce the new High End APS-C E-mount camera. This one camera will replace both, the NEX-6 and shoplink 8454 ebay]NEX-7[/shoplink] models. I have been told the camera body only costs around 800 Euro. The camera is said to have a much faster AF, faster imaging processor and improved Image Quality and EVF. It will be in Stock for April.
800EUR should work out at £657 for body only. With the improvements listed (and in particular EVF) I think I am sold on the idea of selling my NEX-5N and purchasing this one. My NEX-6 will then pass on to become my "back-up". If this new model is also offered with the 16-70 as a kit at something around £900 I will probably fall for this particular temptation.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Is ever more pixels the only criteria to upgrade, of course there are other resons but the manufacturers have a very useful selling tool. Its almost like they are saying what your bought last year in now inferior to our new model with more pixels. Sadly a few review sites also adopt this obsolecence attitude with out acknowledging that last years model was pretty darned good even with its lower pixel count. Do you need more pixels?
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Mega pixels. Easy or lazy marketing? It is the only thing I guess the marketeers understand. I always like more Mp but there are a host of other things that are equally or more important. Flippy flappy rear screen is a biggy for me , but I understand some people don't care about that at all.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Ref. classiccameras and Birma's comments on more pixels, I for one is not really focusing on the pixel issue. This replacement for NEX-6/7 will almost certainly have 24Mp. I am quite happy with 16Mp in my NEX6/5n, but find the 20Mp in my RX100 desirable. I would look at the successor from the point of the improved EVF and the new flash shoe. The NEX-5n has the old shoe, whereas the NEX-6 already has the new universal shoe and I have purchased the excellent microphone ECM-XYST1M that fits the NEX-6 only. I can also use old external flashes with a converter piece. So for me it would be less the Mp race, but rather an improved EVF (in sunshine) as well as much faster AF, faster imaging processor and improved Image Quality. The NEX-6 Jpeg output is already satisfactory and an improvement as well as faster AF and processing will be a bonus. We shall see what Somy come up with and judge on price and performace. This would probably be my last camera purchase for a long time.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Agree alphaomega, far more work needs to be done on the processing engine, sensor and other operational components of the camera. Focus, metering, and Jpeg quality to name a few areas for improvement, forget pixels. The more pixels the bigger the headache for engine design and noise reduction. Its a balancing act which even Nikon haven't quite perfected yet.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

classiccameras wrote:Agree alphaomega, far more work needs to be done on the processing engine, sensor and other operational components of the camera. Focus, metering, and Jpeg quality to name a few areas for improvement, forget pixels. The more pixels the bigger the headache for engine design and noise reduction. Its a balancing act which even Nikon haven't quite perfected yet.
We can always want for more, but I'm pretty happy with the 6. Focus is really good, I don't have a problem with the metering (both of these are better than my Nex-5), and IMHO, JPEG quality is decent if you turn the NR to low. Supposedly the JPEG performance is improved on the newer cameras.
alphaomega
Viceroy

The SAR chap is cautious here annoucing this as SR3 only, but if it materialised I would almost definitely buy the NEX-6/7 successor.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/soon-to- ... ilization/
Right before the CP+ show Sony will announce the new NEX-6/7 successor (price 800 Euro). And well, there is some hope the new E-Mount camera(s) will have on sensor stabilization! And actually it’s quite funny to notice that the info comes straight from Sony: Just see the update page on the APS-C non OSS lenses like the Zeiss 24mm at Sony Germany (Click here), Sony UK (Click here), Sony France (Click here), Sony Italy (Click here), Sony Holland (Click here). All non OSS E-mount lenses added the info that E-mount cameras now have on sensor stabilization!
If Sony doesn’t fool us (and if this isn’t a very bad mistake on their site) than we will finally get stabilization on all lenses (native or third party) on our E-mount APS-C cameras!
A couple of months ago sources told me that Sony was working with Olympus to implement their world class leading(!) image stabilization. What I dont’ know yet is if the soon t be announced new generation of E-mount cameras will feature the three axis stabilization of the E-M10 (announced yesterday and specs here at Amazon) or the superb 5 axis stabilization of the E-M1 (specs here).
I have begun to use my NEX-6 with Sony A mount 18-250 for video and the in body stabilisation would be an add on benefit as well as an improved EVF. Would be more cost-effective than buying a stabilised E 18-200 and in particular since I also have the Tamron motorized 18-270.
alphaomega
Viceroy

So things are hotting up. Looks like the NEX-6/7 replacement will be an upgrade to the NEX-6 with 24Mp sensor and faster AF.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-new- ... t-cameras/
Do not expect to purchase this particular camera as I don't need 24Mp and I find AF fast enough on both my NEX-6 and 5N.
hrstrat57-RI
Acolyte

Unread post by hrstrat57-RI »

alphaomega wrote:So things are hotting up. Looks like the NEX-6/7 replacement will be an upgrade to the NEX-6 with 24Mp sensor and faster AF.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-new- ... t-cameras/
Do not expect to purchase this particular camera as I don't need 24Mp and I find AF fast enough on both my NEX-6 and 5N.

Agree 100%, so much so that I bought a NEX 6 with kit lens yesterday at Best Buy. They matched the $599 .com price and I had a $100 gift card left over from my last job.

Brilliant piece of kit....can't wait to fire up my Maxxum and M42 quiver with an LA2!

Great thread I lurked it for months finding the comments very helpful, thanks all!!!
Let's go while we're young//NEX 6,A700x2 w/vg,A100//Maxxum 100 2.8m,200 2.8,50 1.7,28 2.8,28-85,35-105,24-105D,100-200,70-210/4//Sony 35 1.8, 18-55//Sigma 400 5.6//M42: Asanuma 135 2.8,Pentax Takumar 55 2,135 3.5
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Someone on DPR claimed to get a Nex-6 from BBuy for $400?! Anyway, even at $600, it's a great deal. Let us know what you think of it. I feed mine fast memory cards, and I find it pretty responsive. Yesterday, I turned off the 2sec. auto-review and I'll see if that improves the perceived response time.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Congrats on the new camera, Hrstrat :) . It seems a lot of people are snapping one up at the bargain prices at the moment.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I find the 6 a great camera to use every time I take it out. My only gripe is the rubber eye cup for the evf. If you leave the camera to dangle around your neck then the eye cup can easily bump against your body, detach and get lost. They are not cheap to replace. When going for extended walks with mine I now take the eye cup off first.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.