That tricky 6 or 7 question

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Birma
Tower of Babel

That tricky 6 or 7 question

Unread post by Birma »

In a thread on the SEL 16-50 kit lens Yildiz asked if I could run through some of my reasons behind getting the Nex 6 rather than the 7. Here is what worked for me.

I originally purchased the Nex 5 to be a walk-around camera when I didn't want the bulk of a dslr (e.g. my A700) but a P&S was too limiting. I subsequently found the Nex 5 live view was great for composing landscape and macro shots on the tripod. The Nex therefore became my main camera. The only time when the A700 was still a better bet was when fast action meant the Nex 5 wasn't able to focus quickly enough and a view finder was easier for following the action.

When the Nex 7 and then 6 were released these cameras looked like they would address these weaknesses in the Nex 5, making them better as a walk around camera. The A99 interrupted my plans for a while and this instantly became my preferred tripod and macro camera, so the Nex 5 went back to being just for walkabouts. The Nex 5's lack of view finder was still occasionally inhibiting for a grab shot when out and about.

Trying to decide between the Nex 7 and 6 was tricky. There are quite a few review sites that try to answer the question, "which should you get?". The Nex 7 has the bigger sensor (24 v 16 mega pixels) the tri-navi controls and an extra flash port. The 7 also has the old Sony hot shoe. The 6 has wifi and apps, the new hot shoe, more conventional controls and slightly better high iso performance (which may be an advantage for a walk about camera). In the end I wanted to be able to play around with the apps etc. on the 6 more than I wanted 24 mega pixels in the 7. I also didn't think the tri-navi was really for me, and if I get a flash for the A99 then it will also work on the 6 without any adapter. A final thing for the 6 was that it was a bit cheaper, and it came in a kit with the SEL 16 50 which I was very keen to try as a handy smaller walkabout lens (the 7 only seems to come in a kit with the 18-55).

Initial thoughts on the 6:

It is still a small camera but has a much more reassuring weight and a bit more bulk then the 5. The Nex 3 and 5 really are marvels of miniaturisation, but at the end of the day are perhaps too small when it comes to providing buttons, and built in view finders and flash. The Nex 6 feels nice in the hand and feels very solid and well built. The (electronic) view finder is great and I have no problems with this rather then an optical one.

Focus seems really quick and 'snappy' compared to the 5. The extra physical controls are great, especially the Fn button which takes you in to quick navi. No more endless menu diving as was often required in the 5. I have also liked playing with the intelligent auto setting, just to see what it will do next :)

The one negative so far is the video button. The video button has been move slightly to make it more difficult to press accidentally and is now impossible to press while keeping the camera steady in the hand. I will be leaving a few seconds at the front of all videos for cutting out to allow for steadying up the camera!

A lot more playing to do. I have also acquired the mark 1 version of the Sigma 30mm for Nex which matches the camera nicely. Exciting times. Just need more walkabout time now :) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Re: That tricky 6 or 7 question

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

I will add my own comments here regarding the purchase of a NEX-6. As I mentioned in a couple of other threads, I decided to get a NEX to have a relatively small and light camera system for the times when I travel by air. I very quickly narrowed my choice down to either the NEX-6 or the NEX-7.

Looking at each of those models I found some advantages for each of them when compared to the other, and concluded that - on balance - they were essentially equally attractive to me. What caused me to choose the NEX-6 was a sale on it that enlarged the difference in price between them. I decided that if they were equally attractive, and the NEX-6 was available at a significantly lower price, the logical thing was to get the NEX-6. I have not regretted that decision.

- Tom -
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you Andy, Tom.

These pointers and the reasons behind your NEX 6 choices make a lot of sense. The lower price and benefitting from the low noise also sound very solid for choosing it over the NEX 7.

I'll be looking forward to any more on and off field observations from you when you have more experience with the new kit. : )
I'm also curious as to how often you use the Alpha mount lenses on the SEL mount of NEX 6 and if presents any instabilities or if the whole experience is a good smooth-flowing process without anything to fuss about?
I certainly will want to use all of my SAL lenses on the NEX body.

Thank you both. :D

Who knows I may be the next NEX 6 kit owner some day soon.... : ))

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

You're most welcome Yildiz :)

I haven't got around to trying any of the Alpha lenses on the 6 yet (via adapters). I will report back when I do. I also have to try out the Minolta MD lenses I have, in particular the 50/1.4 and 135/2.8; lovely for people shots.

I must admit to having a severe case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) :oops: . This is the collecting / hoarding part of the hobby, rather than the creative / taking pictures part. I am finding it very hard to consider getting rid of anything. I really can't see me using the Nex 5 much now, but the charger and the kit lens that came with it are probably worth more than the price I could get for the whole kit (the Nex 6 doesn't come with a separate battery charger, this is a ~£40 option). Perhaps the 5 is a candidate for an IR conversion ... (and so it continues :) ).
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

I have both the 6 and 7. 'Lower noise' with the 6 is a fairy tale. The noise with the 7 is much finer and it aliases far less with the true image detail.
Then add to that the generally higher edge aliasing of the 6 due to its insufficient AA filter, and you may arrive at a case where the 7 delivers a perfectly good image while the 6 delivers garbage. That's not too frequent a case, but happens.

The real advantage of the 6 is its PDAF with the original SEL18200. As that lens is the best superzoom in existence all systems considered, the ability of the 6 to focus it much faster and with a far greater precision is a huge advantage of that body. And that lens also produces sharper corners when used on the 6.

On a side note, I should say that the SELP1650 works generally better with the 7 body - it's much sharper exactly in the corners, contrary to the results of the 18200.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

On a side note, I should say that the SELP1650 works generally better with the 7 body - it's much sharper exactly in the corners, contrary to the results of the 18200.
That comment by agorabasta surprised me, but I am quite satisfied with the performance on my NEX-6. In fact I am so happy with my 55-210 and 10-18 E mount lenses as well that I can imagine they would also do well on a NEX-7. Must admit I am pleased with my NEX-6. I had no difficulty selling my NEX-5 w/18-55 E lens after having perused NEX-6/16-50 pancake images. Sadly the NEX-6 stays at home a lot as the RX-100 is even less bulky and produces images of the quality I require. I fancy a 20Mp replacement for NEX-6 and I would probably purchase and sell my NEX-5N.
This rumour is probably fantasy but should it be "in the ballpark" I would probably purchase a Sony/CZ 16-80 E zoom F2.8-4 at 62x68mm closed.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr2-nex- ... o-be-true/
Would I then sell my Sony/CZ 16-80 A mount? No way.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

aster wrote:I'm also curious as to how often you use the Alpha mount lenses on the SEL mount of NEX 6 and if presents any instabilities or if the whole experience is a good smooth-flowing process without anything to fuss about?
Maybe I can share my experiences with SAL lenses on an E-mount body: it has its drawbacks, especially in handling. Mind you, the new NEX bodies differ in size and layout I think than the Nex 3 I had.

I had a Nex 3 for about a year and eventually bought an EA-LA1 adapter for it. I used my CZ16-80, Samyang 14 and 35 primes on it and had difficulty handholding these combo's. Both Samyang primes are a bit on the heavy side which didn't do much good with balancing the camera in your hand. Most of the time I held the lens when carrying in stead of the body. When your holding your camera, the action required to turn one of the rings, especially more damped ones, led to a wobbly camera due in part to the small grip and awkward positioning of the buttons. It was a clumsy combo, even with the lighter CZ.

The thing that made me realize the Nex series wasn't for me is that back then was that no good glass was available and adapting A-mount lenses would negate the pocketable size of the Nex. I finally chose to sell the Nex and buy a RX100. Never looked back.

Mark
Kenneth Sky
Acolyte

Unread post by Kenneth Sky »

@ Birma
A suggestion for your NEX-5: I acquired a Meineke underwater housing for it with the 16mm. It resides inside the housing most of the time. Considering the investment of $89, the pictures are great.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I like this thread... hey, where did that Like button go? :mrgreen:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

aster wrote:I'll be looking forward to any more on and off field observations from you when you have more experience with the new kit. : )

I'm also curious as to how often you use the Alpha mount lenses on the SEL mount of NEX 6 and if presents any instabilities or if the whole experience is a good smooth-flowing process without anything to fuss about?

I frequently use my A-mount lenses on the NEX-6 with the LA-EA2 adapter. The longest focal length lens that I have in native e-mount is the 16-50mm kit zoom, so I have to use a non e-mount lens whenever I want a longer focal length - plus I have a large selection of A-mount lenses. Even though I bought the NEX primarily for convenience when traveling by air, I have found that it is currently the camera I am using most of the time.

I probably would be using the A-mount lenses even more, except that I am having fun experimenting with the use of manual focus lenses on the NEX. I have a rather wide variety of MF lenses of different types and makes, and the adapters for MF lenses are almost all so cheap that I love to experiment with the MF lenses - as I did both days last weekend when I put a couple of Russian rangefinder lenses on the NEX and went for walks just to take casual photos. (FWIW, a few of those images were posted in the NEX forum on Photoclubalpha.)

My hands are a little larger than average, and I found that handling the NEX-6 was more comfortable when I purchased an inexpensive two-piece case and installed the bottom half on the NEX for use while shooting. The NEX-6 is still a little small, but it's now quite acceptable for me, and the half-case has the advantage of providing minor protection against handling damage. I doubt that the size would be a problem for most people using the NEX-6, especially for those with smaller hands than the average male.

With larger lenses, such as using my longer A-mount lenses on the LA-EA2 adapter, the combination with the NEX-6 LOOKS awkward. However, I have not really found it to be so, except with my 28-135mm Minolta A-mount, which did not quite feel comfortable for some reason. With the longer A-mount lenses, my primary grip becomes my left hand on the lens, and the right hand on the camera is secondary. For me, that adjustment was very quick and easy - probably because those lenses are auto-focus and my left hand does not have to move on the lens.

- Tom -
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Kenneth, I'll look in to it :)
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you all, Agorabasta, Alphaomega, Mark, Kenneth and Tom for the much enlightening feedback. :D

I appreciate each and everyone of your input.

I think I'm beginning to imagine if not on-hands of what to expect if I had a NEX system in my hands. Utilizing a long-range A-mount zoom, additional to the required adapter seems like a reason for some instabilities. Would require careful hadling and I might have to comprimise quick handling to careful one and might be like losing the moving subject altogether.

Noise appears to be debatable depending on lenses and camera and the user's personal expectations. Thank you for the heads up, Agorabasta.

But I see that all that acquired the NEX 6 had their own reasonings for the choice;overall size, weight and satisfaction with the image quality in relation to why you take the photos in the first place. It's about requirements and fulfilling them.

I like the photos made with the NEX 6 which are posted by Tom and other forum members. : )

I thank you all for taking the time to note down your views which are very helpful.

Please keep sharing, : )

Thanks,

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Birma wrote:You're most welcome Yildiz :)

I haven't got around to trying any of the Alpha lenses on the 6 yet (via adapters). I will report back when I do. I also have to try out the Minolta MD lenses I have, in particular the 50/1.4 and 135/2.8; lovely for people shots.

I must admit to having a severe case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) . This is the collecting / hoarding part of the hobby, rather than the creative / taking pictures part. I am finding it very hard to consider getting rid of anything. I really can't see me using the Nex 5 much now, but the charger and the kit lens that came with it are probably worth more than the price I could get for the whole kit (the Nex 6 doesn't come with a separate battery charger, this is a ~£40 option). Perhaps the 5 is a candidate for an IR conversion ... (and so it continues ).

Hi Birma, :D

I had to give your complaint on GAS-Gear Acquisition Sydrome some thinking. You sound like its already in the veins and being absorved by your whole system. I'm not sure if I have any advice to offer... : ) And I don't think any emergency cure anytime soon since I sense that the patient being you, appears to be a willing victim.
Can't help I'm afraid. :D Two solutions: either you run out of money or you suddenly start feeling like you don't want to take any photos anymore.

Before you are cured though, I'd like to hear of your experiments with any lens you wish to attach to the NEX 6. :)

Thank you for all the info you provided with generosity.

Yildiz
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

I got the Nex-6 not long ago, and did consider the 7. Like Tom, I felt like price was an overriding factor. Also, I wanted the PDAF, since I had determined a few months ago that the AF was one of my main Nex-5 disappointments. Most of the time it was fine, but when it wasn't fine, it was annoying. I've read that people claim that the Nex-5N really improved the AF, so the CDAF may be better anyway, but I feel like the PDAF really helps the lens close in quickly to the proper focus. The camera just seems really responsive, particularly with the electronic first curtain shutter. It's hard to describe, but feels great.

There isn't any significant noise difference between the cameras; this is kind of one of those Internet folklore things that gets passed around until people believe it. If you view both at 100%, the Nex-7 might be noisier, but it's misleading, because you've zoomed in more on the 7, since it has more pixels. You can see this if you look at the DxO tests for both cameras.

The main advantage to the 7 is 24mp. Now, 24mp>16mp, and better is better. But realistically, 16mp should be sufficient for what I do. I've been able to print large with 10mp. I wouldn't mind more pixels, but it's getting to the point where it's not really a big deal. Where it was a big deal was in the old days of digital, when you went from 1mp to 2mp to 3mp... those were huge jumps. Going from 5mp to 7mp was not that noticeable. There doesn't seem like any difference between 14 and 16mp. 24 would be a large jump, but I'm not sure you'd notice it unless you cropped heavily or printed extremely large; for most photos, there's really no advantage. So, it's not that I don't think the Nex-7 is awesome, but at some point, I can draw the line and say, this is good enough.

I've been using the Nex-6 and have no regrets. I can't say that I've even once thought that if only I got the Nex-7 then I could.... What I can say is that the AF still has room for improvement, as nice as it is. It still has trouble seeing that I wanted, for example, to focus on the bird, not on the bushes and trees behind it. Oh well.

Oh, and I, too, was curious about the 16-50, so was leaning towards getting a kit with that lens. Another option is the 5r, which I probably would have liked, but I like the idea of the EVF on the 6, plus it may be better for flash. Some people will prefer the mode dial. It has a couple of advantages.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Vidgamer, : )

Thank you for the review that covers so much info.

Appreciate that very much. You provided a neat explanatory picture of the advantages and the disadvantages and why.

Yildiz