The new Vario-Tessar 16-70mm f/4 tested on NEX-7

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
aformaphoto
Initiate

The new Vario-Tessar 16-70mm f/4 tested on NEX-7

Unread post by aformaphoto »

Hello, I tested my new Vario-Tessar on the NEX-7 and this is what I have found:

"This sixteen elements Vario-Tessar it is certainly as good as his famous ancestor four elements Zeiss Tessar. The small Zeiss for the E mount is light and well balanced on the NEX-7, has convenients focal lengths, an excellent building and produces great quality images at all apertures and focals. It has a soft and pleasant bokeh too. So this gem will enjoy mountain photographers both for the superb image quality (even in low light with OSS) and for the portability in uncomfortable conditions and heavy backpacking"

This is the link to the whole test:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 487&type=1

Regards
Antonio
aformaphoto
Initiate

Re: The new Vario-Tessar 16-70mm f/4 tested on NEX-7

This seems the first measured test of the Vario-Tessar. My impressions on my sample were rigth, the little Zeiss is a masterpiece:
http://tech.sina.com.cn/digi/dc/2013-10 ... 29_2.shtml
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I presume this Vario-Tessar 16-70 F4 is the newly released NEX fit lens.
I had a 28-105mm vario zoom lens many years ago for my Minolta X700 and earlier models. I had to adjust focus every time I adjusted focal length. Is this also the case with this NEX fit model? Every time you zoom the AF will automatically adjust or is this compensated for in software. I recall that the argument for my vario zoom lens was better IQ compared with a proper zoom. As I recall, the vario zoom was supposed to be equivalent to a series of single focal length primes hence the need to re-focus.
aformaphoto
Initiate

The Vario Tessar is an E mount lens for Sony NEX cameras. This is a modern lens and there isn't the need of refocus changing the focal in the zoom travel. The name Vario today means zoom lens in the Zeiss dictionary, I think. The name Tessar too was related to a four elements very sharp Zeiss lens of a century ago (TESSARES in ancient greek language means four). But the actual Tessar for NEX cameras is a sixteen elements lens. So the terms VARIO and TESSAR today are only marketing names that indicate an high performance zoom lens.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Thank you
Initial impressions were not that....impressive until my colleague grabbed one.