NEX FF camera rumours on SAR

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
OneGuyKs

Re: NEX FF camera rumours on SAR

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

bfitzgerald wrote:Try being a tad more civil. Be honest how many NEX users (FF or not) are going to buy a small body to put a big lens on it? You could argue Sony can make bigger E mount bodies, and they can. With lenses that are not compatible with A Mount. At least A Mount lenses are compatible with E mount with the adaptor. It makes absolutely no sense to make lenses like a 70-200mm f4 for native E mount
You are ignorant to the fact that Sony also sells $8,000 FS700 which is really popular camera, as you can see here ( http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay. ... Sony-FS700 ) Probably many new E-mount professional cameras (including some with FF sensor) are in the pipeline. Big lenses with constant aperture like F4 would be popular among these folks.

As I told you, last time I was here you were telling me how Canon will kill Nex once they release mirrorless cameras. You are someone who doesn't have a clue about the market. You probably never even heard that FS700 exists. If you are ignorant about the topic (and Sony's future plans), why don't you sit back and watch the show? You have been constantly posting nonsense in this thread for two weeks. What's your interest in these cameras anyway? You are a nobody. You don't own shares in Sony stocks, and Sony owes you nothing.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

The FS700 is a video camera, popular with who?
You frequently see people taking photos with an FS700 do you? I don't

If you think Canon will be even remotely concerned about a boxy looking ILC camera with big lenses and a not very stunning price, then great on you.
As for understanding the market, what market are you on about?

Because if you're talking about popularity then I think the top 2 makers sell a hell of a lot more "dinosaur" DSLR with the mirror box then Sony ever likely will with some camera made from a spare parts bin.

You're not getting it at all are you?
So you can fit old MF lenses and have fun with adaptors, that's super I think it's great. But there goes xyz % of your native lens sales from Sony. You really think NEX is going to pull in pro users who spend big on glass? Having a mount where you can fit adaptors is nice, but it also means you will lose significantly on native lens sales, it's not really sustainable long term. Why do you think Canon won't move to an ILC mount? Imagine Canon losing 50% of their lens sales to adaptor fitting dudes who won't pay crazy prices for L glass. Think about it...out of business pretty quickly

And on the lenses, range-finder lenses were small because they had manual focus, manual aperture control, even FF RF lenses are smaller than APS-C ones on NEX by some considerable margin. You can't fit OSS, electronic apertures, in lens motors and get really small. Who's kidding who here? Or are Sony just trying to be a jack of all trades master of none, trying to be all things to people but failing to really be interesting to photographers. And those travel shooters who like APS-C NEX, well their lens bag is going to be getting a lot heavier too. That 55mm f/1.8 Sonnar is larger, heavier and slower than the normal 50mm f1.4!

If I start seeing folks dump the 5dMkIII's for a NEX FF then I'll eat my words, until then if you're predicting FF NEX to dominate the world I think you're in for a big disappointment.
OneGuyKs

bfitzgerald wrote:The FS700 is a video camera, popular with who?
"popular with who?" I gave you the link. Don't you know how to click or what? E-mount is not just a still camera mount. The lenses are aimed at two different markets.
If I start seeing folks dump the 5dMkIII's for a NEX FF then I'll eat my words, until then if you're predicting FF NEX to dominate the world I think you're in for a big disappointment.
What I said was that these cameras would be far more popular than Sony's Amount FF DSLRs. That's a fact. You are a total waste of time, and you continue to invent strawman arguments. As I said, you have been constantly posting nonsense in this thread for 2 week, even though you have no clue what you are talking about.
bfitzgerald

I didn't price the A99 Sony did :mrgreen: I've mentioned before I felt the price was far higher than it should have been.
On the other hand some say it's "sold well" but I doubt that myself.

Ok I've just read up on SAR about the new 55mm f1.8 Zeiss. So this costs evidently a cool €1100!
I can buy a 6d and a 50mm f1.8 and save a fortune!

I'm not sure what Sony are smoking lately, they've lost it (in quite a big way) with lenses and prices relative to speed.
Maybe the new FF NEX will sell ok, but they won't be selling many 55mm f1.8 Zeiss lenses that's for sure!
By the time these bodies are out and a few weeks of chat about FF mirror less, most people will see the insanely overpriced/big glass/slow speed they are trying to sell with it and lose interest. Those who remain will pick up adaptors and not buy many if any Sony lenses..

Zeiss 35mm f/2.8? Seriously come on who came up with these lenses? People want fast glass not a slow 35mm prime.

We're back to square one again..can't sell those lenses, then it's not profitable longer term.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Hi Birma,
It was more of a second hand rumour I think, it didn’t seem to cause any undue attention at the time, it was to do with the sales of the A99, they apparently announced that sales of the A99 had passed expectations so now it was time to reset the price of the A99 down (I have no idea how far down that would be).
But I couldn’t help thinking about the people who had already paid the full price and now had to watch as the same camera is being offered for less, perhaps quite a bit less. (I don’t know when this set to be implemented, I didn’t see the actual rumour, just the post on another site about the rumour)
I have a suspicion though the real reason is sales of the A99 have slowed, and they now want to try ‘resetting’ the price not a ‘discount’ (and apart from the special deal that was previously offered only in the US) to get it moving again.
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

The thing with the NEX is, it was always a niche camera and because it became so popular Sony thought it had mainstream potential, it doesn’t.
It’s a cybershot with a lens mount that happened to sell lots because of the adaptor usage, but it doesn’t have a huge client base that’s captive and who would like to keep upgrading to the next NEX utterance from Sony on a continual basis.
Once you have bought a NEX and dabbled with those old lenses for a while why would you need to keep buying more NEX’s? Some will be attracted to an increase in MP’s maybe, but a lot won’t join the Sony haphazard upgrade boondoggle, thus the decline in sales of Sony MILC’s (except Japan…apparently).
Now Sony is trying a new tack, an E-mount FF version to stimulate interest in NEX’s again.
How successful that will be depends on how much additional performance will be realized by exposing more of ANY lens outer field curvature and aberrations to scrutiny.
There will be some sales to NEX fans for sure as the NEX is an alternative lighter system in body mass but a FF version weight savings are questionable when you consider lenses have to actually BE FF and there is the question of performance with any lens other than dedicated system lenses, and the availability of those is still an unknown quantity at the moment.
It will be interesting to watch how it proceeds, the things that Sony does are always interesting that’s for sure, while watching from a safe distance that is.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

These new alpha cameras don't have IBIS. I wonder if the A99 and A58 are the last alpha cameras to have IBIS?
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Are they going to force us over to NEX like Olympus did to their 4/3 owners over to M/4/3, very shabby behavour in my view. It will be a very difficult test of loyalty for Sony A mount users. They deserve to to lose fans to other brands if that happens.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:Are they going to force us over to NEX like Olympus did to their 4/3 owners over to M/4/3, very shabby behavour in my view. It will be a very difficult test of loyalty for Sony A mount users. They deserve to to lose fans to other brands if that happens.
Get yourself an Olympus E-M1 and you can enjoy all your 4/3 lenses with the latest and greatest! Get a NEX and adaptor and enjoy your A-mount lenses!
bfitzgerald

Actually I would rather buy a micro 4/3 than get involved in this odd ball NEX experiment.
I think the GX-7 is quite a nice camera having had a play, much more so than I expected and it's a bit more sensible price wise too.

Or buy an adaptor and move the Minolta glass to Fuji X, that could be quite a combination in terms of rendering. That's another choice.
I wouldn't be interested in NEX with adaptors for A mount, these weird design cameras do nothing for me.

I'm also not that shocked at the prices really. You're looking at around £1500 for the cheaper one, near £2000 odd the more expensive one. That's not a revolution, it's not even close to where Sony need to be price wise to get these making a splash. If they'd have undercut the 6d with the cheaper one by £200 I might have something positive to say about it, but it's not looking good.

Add the comical big lenses with slow apertures and crazy prices, I can see this getting a hell of a lot of stick on the forums. Sony really screwed up on this one. If this is the CEO getting involved I say butt out dude and get someone in charge who has some vision and ideas.
If they'd have done some more compact lenses at not silly prices, and a less ugly body at a much better price I'd give them some credit. Right now it's likely to be mocked more than celebrated. What a shame...
OneGuyKs

bfitzgerald wrote: If they'd have done some more compact lenses at not silly prices, and a less ugly body at a much better price I'd give them some credit. Right now it's likely to be mocked more than celebrated. What a shame...
Hypocrisy of that statement is amazing. You want "compact" FF lenses but you are also not happy if lenses are F2.8 and slower. Basically making two mutually exclusive demands.

I stand by what I said. These cameras would sell a lot better than the Amount FF DSLRs.

Maybe the death of A-mount DSLRs is final, as they were a big a flop. The sales of these cameras would finally make it clear to Sony that A-mount DSLRs really never had a chance. They wasted money buying the system. The future is here, not in the last century system.

No wonder Minolta went kaput with 1% market share.,
bfitzgerald

If Sony flop in the camera market it will be by their own hand not mine!
Many forum members have given very sound and good advice for Sony over the years, if they decide to ignore it that's up to them.

Sony have had lots of chances to develop A mount properly, that includes expanding the lens system and yes f4 zooms are sorely missing as well as some key primes and more affordable primes too. Again we've been down this road many times, as we have with other issues such as lack of firmware support, proper flash system etc etc. I think many A Mount users have been quite clear and vocal about what their needs are.

I see no reason to expect any different from E Mount, old dogs don't learn new tricks very easily, you can expect the same firmware issues and lack of support for E mount as much as you will for A mount.
Based on looks and price alone I can't see this taking off very well bar a few niche users who crave FF. It's certainly going to have 0 impact on Canikon's FF plans.

I've been pretty clear I don't actually think Sony will drop A Mount (they can't really) but I hope they sell it to a company that can make the mount what it could be, rather than fiddle around all the time constantly changing direction yet never really nailing the areas they should.
E mount FF is little more than hype and overpriced hype at that, sure the sensors will shine but it's just not enough.
OneGuyKs

bfitzgerald wrote:If Sony flop in the camera market it will be by their own hand not mine! .
Don't worry, Sony has been making digital cameras for 2 decades and the will be making them long after you are gone. They shouldn't be taking "advice" from someone who was predicting that Nex would be dead when Canon releases a "mirrorless camera".

A-mount DSLRs are dead, as we know, as the system was a failure. Minolta went kaput with 1% market share. Pentax is still at 1% after 5 years of making DSLRs.

These cameras will sell better than A-mount FF DSLRs. I would even predict that they will also sell better than Pentax DSLRs.

That's a fact that you even you don't seem to deny.
bfitzgerald

Actually on Amazon both Samsung and Canon seem to be outselling Sony on the ILC camera section :mrgreen:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Not a bad overview.

The State of Mirrorless Camera Systems, Fall 2013

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/the ... rless.html