NEX FF camera rumours on SAR

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
mdcromer
Initiate

Re: NEX FF camera rumours on SAR

Unread post by mdcromer »

Folks actually have it the wrong way around, it's a disadvantage to have a sensor so close to the focal plane. As Leica found out it's actually quite hard to make good performing lenses that don't run and hide in the edges and corners.
Of course, one can always position the rear lens element as close or as far from the imaging sensor as desired. This is why NEX cameras can adapt any other system's lenses. The E-mount takes nothing away from any ability to create good lens designs versus any other mount on the planet (barring throat diameter considerations).
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

bfitzgerald wrote:Actually on Amazon both Samsung and Canon seem to be outselling Sony on the ILC camera section :mrgreen:
I am assuming you mean Panasonic and Olympus. Canon is selling their cameras at a loss ($350 with the lens) to clear stocks. Both Pana and Oly flagship cameras were just released this month, so it's no wonder people are upgrading in a rush.

Lets see where the new FF Nex will end up on the list once Amazon starts accepting preorders. I am predicting #1 spot (for a day or 2) and once they start shipping they will back to #1 spot for a week (or a month).
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Greg, ah I remember that A99 rumour now. Thanks for the reminder :)

Interesting article Henry. Personally I just feel spoiled for choice in terms of cameras now.

Not many surprises tomorrow I suspect now that everything is leaked before-hand. Just some trusted reviews to look forward to. My prediction ... I bet the new cameras take darn nice pictures, just like all of the other cameras on the market :) . They'll probably take a few sucky pictures too, but that is just the way it goes.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
OneGuyKs

Greg Beetham wrote:SAR is a website that ‘leakes’ what Sony wants leaked apparently.
Greg
He knows what is "SAR". He has posted links to that site many times on DPreview. He even argued with me about the site one or two years ago (same accusation as yours about SAR in your that sentence). If you haven't noticed, even the subject of this thread includes the word "SAR" . There are several other threads on this forum where the word "SAR" has been used, not just in body but even the subject. He is playing games with all these questions about IBIS, SAR, and why the cameras are called "A" etc. Don't tell me he is a newbie who knows nothing. He has been around for years.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

OneGuyKs wrote:
He knows what is "SAR".
Well spotted OGKs. (no use H, too sharp)
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Has anyone here had a chance to hold one of the new cameras yet? I think they were officially announced already so it is okay to fess up. Do they have focus peaking for MF lenses?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Anyone know if SAR's website is in China?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Interesting article Henry. Personally I just feel spoiled for choice in terms of cameras now.

Not many surprises tomorrow I suspect now that everything is leaked before-hand. Just some trusted reviews to look forward to. My prediction ... I bet the new cameras take darn nice pictures, just like all of the other cameras on the market :) . They'll probably take a few sucky pictures too, but that is just the way it goes.
Exactly. :) Lots of great choices now for all kinds of preferences and all kinds of photography. You have been showing some great stuff with your A99 lately. Thanks for posting!
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Actually Henry this has to be said...
Whilst I'm not a fan of these new cameras

There is one obvious "victim" here and it's not Canon or Nikon but Olympus.

The OM-D EM-1 is priced at £1299, that looked too pricey at the start. Now with a FF ILC model at £1299 the EM-1 looks like the biggest rip off in the history of cameras... But the good news is that the price is going to fall hugely!

Not knocking micro 4/3, but this is going to mean they will never again be able to charge such prices for bodies again. So my thinking about the sensor size seems to have been on the right path.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

That would be great if m4/3 prices went down! The prices are pretty high and if competition causes them to come down then I am all for that.

At the moment I don't have any plans to buy anything. Of the new m4/3 cameras the GX7 is the most interesting to me since it has the styling and ergonomics I had wished the E-M5 last year had. The IBIS in it is Panasonic's first generation though and I don't know if it will be as good as the one in the E-M5. The E-M5 is so good in most areas that I can get by with the not so good ergonomics. I have become accustomed to them and have used the camera on trips to Nepal, Bali, Japan, etc. and it has always worked well. If it was to get lost/stolen/broken then I would seriously look at the GX7, but until then I am fine using it.

I don't care though who is winning, losing, coming from behind, etc. in the camera corporation sports championship. Like Birma, I am just glad there are so many good choices out there. The new Sony cameras look interesting and some folks will be very happy with them, I think, but the lenses are still very big compared to m4/3 and it is the size/weight thing that is pretty important to me.

I remember 8-10 years ago posting elsewhere about the huge size of many of the APS-C DSLRs. I had lots of people tell me that they had to be huge to hold that "big" sensor. :) I pointed out that just a few years before we had FF SLRs that were much smaller and even pointed out my Olympus Stylus Epic with a FF sensor. :lol: Well, Sony is showing them that APS-C and even FF doesn't have to be huge. It is a choice.
OneGuyKs

Greg Beetham wrote:
OneGuyKs wrote:
He knows what is "SAR".
Well spotted OGKs. (no use H, too sharp)
Greg
bakubo always has a strange passive aggressive style. He could have just come out and just say he hates these cameras because they don't have IBIS, but instead he does it with a question "Do they have IBIS" --- even though he knows all about the cameras and rumors as he reads SAR and DPR forums.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

OneGuyKs wrote:
bakubo always has a strange passive aggressive style. He could have just come out and just say he hates these cameras because they don't have IBIS, but instead he does it with a question "Do they have IBIS" --- even though he knows all about the cameras and rumors as he reads SAR and DPR forums.
I think it’s awesome, I’m sure some wouldn’t know they’ve been had. :lol:
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:Do these have IBIS?
I saw over on another website that they do not have IBIS. Not surprised since only the old A-mount cameras had it. I think Sony probably never was much of a fan of IBIS even for the A-mount. They got it when they got the camera business from KM and just went with the flow for awhile. Some Sony users don't like IBIS since ILIS has some advantages (and some disadvantages) and no IS also has some advantages (and disadvantages). Without IBIS those who want IS can get it (by choosing the proper lens) and those who don't want don't have to have it. I think for the big camera corporation business hobbyists especially it is all rather unimportant, just a nit. Not having IBIS simplifies things in some ways for the corporation and also for customers.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

As far as I know SSS has overheating problems when used with video, that’s probably why it fell from grace with Sony, lens based IS is a better solution for video (again so I’ve read).
I guess if SSS is only a ‘nit’ Henry, you could turn the system off altogether and leave it off, it would save on battery power quite a bit too.
I would miss it I think when attempting to do birding occasionally so I think I’ll leave mine on for that endeavor at least.
But with the A7 or A7r of course I would not have the opportunity to turn SSS off (or on), it’s off permanently when using A-mount lenses.
Greg
Marcell Nikolausz
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Marcell Nikolausz »

bakubo wrote:Anyone know if SAR's website is in China?
I think it's a Swiss site but most of the leaks are from China.