Sony A5000 + 16-50mm E mount lens

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

Sony A5000 + 16-50mm E mount lens

Unread post by alphaomega »

This Sony camera was released at the 2014 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) and featured on SAR
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-a5000-launched/
Seems to be a nifty little camera with the 16-50 as kit lens
Looks like the launch price in UK is not bad considering the included lens.
Just got e-mail from Park Cameras offering the camera and lens at £420.00.
This seems to be a replacement for everything ex NEX below the NEX-6 type camera. No EVF or new flash/Mike shoe. Swivel rear screen so that you can take selfies and the connectivity for the smart phone generation.
This camera is not for me, but I would love an upgraded NEX-6 with this sensor and the A7 EVF. Come on Sony, but I suspect the NEX-7 upgrade will be next as this model does not have the new shoe and wireless features. I really don't need 24Mp, but perhaps Sony don't think a NEX-6 successor is required now with entry models at 20Mp and NEX-7 successor probably still with 24Mp, but improved. No real room in between any longer.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Sony A5000 + 16-50mm E mount lens

Unread post by Vidgamer »

It seems like a Nex-3N replacement but with the shape of a Nex-5-series.

Sony (and other brands) do not refresh the higher-end cameras as quickly as the lower-end, so it wouldn't surprise me if there will be Nex-6 and/or 7 replacements at some point, but perhaps not immediately. The Nex-6 hasn't been out for a year and a half, so by that measure, the 7 seems like it's due next, but who knows?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It's not bas if you want the WiFi stuff but at twice the price of the A3000 I'll still recommend the one with the crude EVF over the one with no such option, and £200 to spend on a second lens!

I'm waiting for my news reports from CES/PMA. Gary Friedman got a press pass on our behalf, but he was disappointed. He thought nothing was worth writing about, that I would want to publish in a hurry.

Nikon D4S - well, it's annoyed Richrd K, who bought a Nikon D4 last year.

David
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Not the most exciting CES show ever has to be said (from a photo perspective)
A5000 fairly predictable update, but even leaving that to one side there wasn't a lot of interesting things going on photo land.

I've not seen any detailed information around about the D4s, but it's not likely to be a massive update.
jeep1
Initiate

Unread post by jeep1 »

I've just got one of these to add to my NEX7 and 5n system to give me WiFi. Used for long pole photography with my iPhone 5 as controller and viewfinder using the free Sony app which gives good camera control including focus point and remote operation of the 16-50mm power zoom. The difference between body price and with lens was only £20.00 (£349.00 with lens, £329.00 body only, and no doubt will get even lower. You could of course sell the lens for at least £120.00 on ebay). Will be interested to see if this lens performs as well at the wide to mid end, as the one I already own, once distortion is removed from RAW files in Lightroom. So a reasonably priced lightweight set up with a good sensor that could be useful on a mast, drone or other remote use.

Update: The lens got with the A5000 is not as good as the one I already own, purchased as 'split from kit' from ebay. Pity quality control can't be better maintained.