Sony A6000

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Winkler Prins
Initiate
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:54 pm

Sony A6000

Unread postby Winkler Prins » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:42 pm

I am looking forward to the rumored A6000 anouncement. What do *you* think? Would you buy it, if it turns out to be as good as they say?
For me, only touchscreen is missing from Nex 6 (I am used to my Nex 5n), so I really want A6000 to include touchscreen.

peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador
Posts: 599
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:24 am
Location: Northam, Western Australia

Re: Sony A6000

Unread postby peterottaway » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:58 am

I have the A850, A77, Nex 7 and just recently the A7r so I couldn't justify buying anything more. The A7r has essentially replaced the A850 in day to day photography with the A77 doing all those SLR things that the A7r doesn't do so well. Because of the size of the A850 and A77, I bought the Nex 7 with its smaller form size. This was before the Nex 6 became available and given the choice I think that the Nex 6 would have been more what I was looking for.

Now having the A7r I don't need the A6000 although I will be interested in what it actually performs like.

Should disaster strike from earthquake, fire etc and I had to replace my current kit I would buy another A7r and be looking at the A77 replacement. Some would question having both an A mount and E mount cameras but with A to E adapter it's not a big deal. And I would like to be able to use macro and long lenses such as the Mark 2 version of the 70 - 400 zoom on both cameras.

User avatar
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio
Posts: 2544
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:38 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: Sony A6000

Unread postby pakodominguez » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:13 am

Winkler Prins wrote:I am looking forward to the rumored A6000 anouncement. What do *you* think? Would you buy it, if it turns out to be as good as they say?
For me, only touchscreen is missing from Nex 6 (I am used to my Nex 5n), so I really want A6000 to include touchscreen.

No touchscreen since you have the EVF.
Fastest AF on the e-mount system
No mic input (alas...)
"new" menu interface (RX100/A7 like)
Nu Bionz X

I'm buying the A7R now. I'm selling the NEX7. I'm not sure if I'll keep the APS lenses I have, or if I'll sell them also. I'm thinking now that I'll probably go for the A7R and adapters for almost everything, including A-mount lenses with the LA EA 4. The 24-70 f4 is tempting, as well as the 70-200 F4

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

classiccameras
Viceroy
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:33 am

Re: Sony A6000

Unread postby classiccameras » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:18 am

I just don't get Sony, they launch a pretty naff A3000 in the shape of an A mount body but with E mount, then proceed to carry on the 5 figure series with a 5000 and now a 6000 but both reverted back to the NEX body shape.

They must be running round like headless chickens at Sony HQ.
They are doing a good job of alienating the few A mount fans left.
Canikon must be looking at all this with a smile on their face.

peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador
Posts: 599
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:24 am
Location: Northam, Western Australia

Re: Sony A6000

Unread postby peterottaway » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:03 am

I wouldn't think that offering 2 body shapes with the same internals is in itself a silly idea. it gives buyers a choice. What is questionable is that Sony has so far failed to followup with a higher specified big brother to the ILCE 3000 or is that to come after the A6000 ?

However they definitely should have given the 3000 and any others that may come after it a new series designation just as they have HX and RX etc.

User avatar
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance
Posts: 3684
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:48 pm

Re: Sony A6000

Unread postby bfitzgerald » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:39 pm

SAR are saying the A6000 replaces both the NEX 6 and NEX 7 models
I would bet that this is as high as things go for APS-C (prices are sure to fall on FF there is no point with a model too close to that even a high end one)

SAR have been proven off the mark at times, they suggested that the A naming on the E mount bodies would be DSLR sized/shaped bodies, but this has turned out to be only the case with the A3000. I think the A3000 is a bit of an experiment by Sony to see if they can sell a cut price "SLR styled body" in the market.

They may or may not make other SLR shaped E mount bodies we shall have to see. I think unless you are using adaptors for bargain ebay glass, that E mount in the form of an SLR type body is not appealing as a system (the range is tiny v A mount and very little s/h stuff around in comparison)

alphaomega
Viceroy
Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:20 pm

Re: Sony A6000

Unread postby alphaomega » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:39 pm

There is an update on SAR on the likely A6000 specification here
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-some ... gb-filter/
I got some info from trusted sources about the A6000:

- 24,3 Megapixel Exmor-R sensor
- Improved RGB filter
- Hybrid focusing, contrast and phase detection (though phase detection pixels)
- Fastest AF of all E-mount cameras
- Bionz X processor with adaptive noise reduction, increased sharpness and diffraction reduction
- ISO 100 up to 25,600
- Price around 650 Euro for body only.
- Built-in EVF in the corner just like the NEX-6 (an anonymous non verified source said it has the same quality of the A7/A7r EVF).
- On the back similar controls as the current NEX-6
- Camera replaces both the NEX-6 and NEX-7 cameras

If this holds true (including A7/A7r EVF) then this camera has some worthwhile upgrades over NEX-6 & 7 and EUR650 body only translates into £540 here.
The sensor is likely to be better than the NEX-7 and Bionz X better than in both. The contrast/phase is already in NEX-6. The A7/7r EVF would be a bonus compared with the old models.
As far as I am concerned there is not enough there to tempt me to replace my NEX-6/5n combo. I might have considered a purchase if Steady Shot was built in, instead I purchased the A58 for video only to gain steady shot with my non stabilised lenses. What would tempt me in future? Steady shot and more DR in future E-mount.

User avatar
bakubo
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance
Posts: 5696
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:55 am
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: Sony A6000

Unread postby bakubo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:45 pm

With PDAF on the sensor does that mean you can now get fast AF using A-mount lenses and the basic adapter (the one without the SLT mirror)?

User avatar
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio
Posts: 2544
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:38 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: Sony A6000

Unread postby pakodominguez » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:26 pm

bakubo wrote:With PDAF on the sensor does that mean you can now get fast AF using A-mount lenses and the basic adapter (the one without the SLT mirror)?

Inch'allah!
but I'll get the LAEA4, just in case... (I only have 1 lens with SSM. for manual focus, I have a 30$ plain adapter for A mount...)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wes Gibbon
Oligarch
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: Peterborough, U.K.
Contact:

Re: Sony A6000

Unread postby Wes Gibbon » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:59 pm

bfitzgerald wrote: I think the A3000 is a bit of an experiment by Sony to see if they can sell a cut price "SLR styled body" in the market.
Could it be they had lots of 18-55mm lenses to shift?

User avatar
bakubo
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance
Posts: 5696
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:55 am
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: Sony A6000

Unread postby bakubo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:10 pm

pakodominguez wrote:
bakubo wrote:With PDAF on the sensor does that mean you can now get fast AF using A-mount lenses and the basic adapter (the one without the SLT mirror)?

Inch'allah!
but I'll get the LAEA4, just in case... (I only have 1 lens with SSM. for manual focus, I have a 30$ plain adapter for A mount...)


I hope it turns out that way. I don't need the A6000 and probably wouldn't buy one, but if it worked well with A-mount lenses using the simpler, smaller, less expensive adapter (LA-EA1, I think) then that would be a big plus. I still have some A-mount lenses, but nothing that is of great value (70-210mm f4 beercan, 35-70mm f4, 28-135mm f4-4.5, 50mm f1.7, etc.) that someday I might like to have a new home for. I still have my A700 and A100, but they are just packed away in camera bags and not being used. Anyway, I will watch the A6000 with some interest just to see what Sony is doing.

You mention a $30 adapter. Does it allow AF, metering, etc. with A-mount lenses? It sounds like you are saying it is just for MF, which is what I would expect. I supposed the LA-EA1 is the minimum for full operation. Is that right?

User avatar
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio
Posts: 2544
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:38 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: Sony A6000

Unread postby pakodominguez » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:22 pm

bakubo wrote:You mention a $30 adapter. Does it allow AF, metering, etc. with A-mount lenses? It sounds like you are saying it is just for MF, which is what I would expect. I supposed the LA-EA1 is the minimum for full operation. Is that right?

Plain adapter, with an aperture ring (no scale, you guess the aperture...) Manual focus. It works, infinite focus is accurate...
The LAEA1 is APS-C (and discontinued). You need the LAEA3 if you want to avoid the mirror. Even if this will be the fastest AF on an e-mount camera, I don't think you'll get really "fast AF" with this combo. Keep in mind you'll need SSM or SAM lenses in order to make it work anyways. for screwdriver lenses, you need the translucent mirror LAEA4 (I'm fine with the translucent mirror, I used the A99 for a year and no complain at all)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
bakubo
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance
Posts: 5696
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:55 am
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: Sony A6000

Unread postby bakubo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:42 pm

classiccameras wrote:I just don't get Sony, they launch a pretty naff A3000 in the shape of an A mount body but with E mount, then proceed to carry on the 5 figure series with a 5000 and now a 6000 but both reverted back to the NEX body shape.


Both Olympus and Panasonic do the same with their m4/3 cameras. They have SLR-looking bodies and RF-looking bodies. No big deal. Fuji does the same now too. I don't quite get how Sony doing it is strange, but Olympus, Panasonic, and Fuji doing it isn't.

User avatar
bakubo
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance
Posts: 5696
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:55 am
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: Sony A6000

Unread postby bakubo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:43 pm

pakodominguez wrote:The LAEA1 is APS-C (and discontinued). You need the LAEA3 if you want to avoid the mirror. Even if this will be the fastest AF on an e-mount camera, I don't think you'll get really "fast AF" with this combo. Keep in mind you'll need SSM or SAM lenses in order to make it work anyways. for screwdriver lenses, you need the translucent mirror LAEA4 (I'm fine with the translucent mirror, I used the A99 for a year and no complain at all)


Ahh, I had forgotten that the old adapter doesn't AF with screw lenses.

User avatar
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio
Posts: 2544
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:38 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: Sony A6000

Unread postby pakodominguez » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:48 am

bakubo wrote:
pakodominguez wrote:The LAEA1 is APS-C (and discontinued). You need the LAEA3 if you want to avoid the mirror. Even if this will be the fastest AF on an e-mount camera, I don't think you'll get really "fast AF" with this combo. Keep in mind you'll need SSM or SAM lenses in order to make it work anyways. for screwdriver lenses, you need the translucent mirror LAEA4 (I'm fine with the translucent mirror, I used the A99 for a year and no complain at all)


Ahh, I had forgotten that the old adapter doesn't AF with screw lenses.

The mirrorless adapters (LAEA1/3) don't AF with screwdriver lenses, but control aperture and focus confirmation.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Return to “Alpha E-Mount system”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron