Sony A6000

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Sony A6000

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

A lot depends on how mirrorless does in general. It's been quite slow in Europe and that will need to change.
Hard to predict but Canikon will continue to fight with their mounts.

A6000 looks ok, but I detect that some APS-C E mount users feel they wanted a real NEX7 update.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

A6000 looks ok, but I detect that some APS-C E mount users feel they wanted a real NEX7 update.
Could be right what Barry Fitzgerald stated above, but I rather was hoping for an upgrade to the NEX-6 consisting of the following major upgrade points:
Improved EVF to A7 standard (eliminating NEX-6 problems in sunshine) and we get what looks like the much maligned A58 version.
The 20Mp sensor with the Bionz X processor. Don't need or want 24Mp.
Steady shot for still and video. Saw somewhere that the A6000 actually has the electronic steady shot for video only. Think it was in AP. Not looked into this as the purchase of A58 for video has reduced interest in the A6000 to 0. Don't see a need to replace my NEX-6 with this release.
Without being an expert, I believe that 20Mp should be the limit for APS-C serious cameras and 36Mp for FF. Sony should instead invest in DR improvements and lenses that would do full justice the the pixel counts also in the corners and at all focal lengths for zooms. What's the point if you need to reduce the image size because the lenses cannot handle the image size?
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

I remember hearing a Canon person in my local dealer saying he thought nothing more could be gained from going beyond 20mp on APS-C. He said other areas of the processing chain is where new developments will take place rather than more and more pixels.
Canon stayed with 18mp for over 4 years as it did everying they wanted it to do and Canon owners were not complaining and as I said in another post, Canon adopted the attitude, if it aint broke don't fix it.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

classiccameras wrote:I remember hearing a Canon person in my local dealer saying he thought nothing more could be gained from going beyond 20mp on APS-C. He said other areas of the processing chain is where new developments will take place rather than more and more pixels.
Canon stayed with 18mp for over 4 years as it did everying they wanted it to do and Canon owners were not complaining and as I said in another post, Canon adopted the attitude, if it aint broke don't fix it.

I think we'll see more sensor technology in the next few years. Don't bank on the pixel race slowing down though.
I can just see a batch of 30mp APS-C cameras coming out next year, because marketing works and it's sold a lot of cameras to date.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

A lot of people bought the Nex-7 and claimed to get better results than the 16mp Nex cameras. Reviews seem to back that up as well, even reviews that have numbers/measurements. Perhaps 30mp is a step too far, but if all else were equal, I'd say that more MP is better than less MP, even if you may not need more MP. I don't have any desire for more than the 16mp I have, but I'm not going to tell people not to buy a 24mp or 30mp camera.

Where Canon has a problem is not just with the pixel count. This is painfully obvious looking at the DxO measurements. http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Ratings
The top of the line Canon DSLR matches the Nex-7 in the overall score. The Nex-7 compares with FF DSLRs! Yikes. No wonder it makes some DSLR fans nervous. Sony sensor quality is really good.