SAR SR5 Rumour about Sony A7s with 4K on Sunday in Las Vegas

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: SAR SR5 Rumour about Sony A7s with 4K on Sunday in Las V

Unread post by alphaomega »

Sony have now released 3 E mount FF bodies, and done next to nothing for A Mount for over a year (the A58 has been out over 12 months)
Barry Fitzgerald is correct because this statement is factual.
His predictions about Sony's camera future are probable, but not factual. He does not know how their various E mount cameras will pan out. I see young people - primary school and younger handling tablets and smartphones. I am astounded at their ability. The human brain clearly has a lot of unused capabilities, coming into use given the right circumstances. I don't see these growing up to clamour for DSLRs with OVF. I think time is on Sony's side and CAN/NIK better wake up to these developments. I may be wrong. I don't claim to be a visionary, but I still think time is on Sony's side.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bfitzgerald wrote:
pakodominguez wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote:
If "full HD" can't even get it's legs off the ground in that industry, there isn't a lot of hope for 4k
Yeah!
VHS is more than enough...
Fast forward many years and DVD is the standard and I didn't update my movie collection to blu ray (the DVD's up-scaled look pretty good to me, not as good a Blu ray but good enough) If I walk into a rental shop (the few that remain) it's mostly DVD media.

DVD= Universal
I don't think the issue is the support (DVD against VHS) but about image quality/resolution. Your DVDs are probably 780P and any modern DVD player do a reasonably good job up-scaling to 1080. Because today the standard is full HD 1920x1080p. At some point that standard will change, to 4K. It is a matter of time. This is not 3D with costly glasses and TV sets and no much content available (specially no channels broadcasting 3D, or stream services) This is more resolution and we will get there the same way we went from 600*800 to 1200*1600 screen resolution on our desktops.
bfitzgerald wrote: This A7s is fine for serious film makers (and might be a bargain for them) I can't see on the ground video shooters rushing to it though, why take 4k footage when nobody can view it!

Pako it's that horrible phrase again that companies don't want to hear (it's a sales killer) "good enough"
As I told you before, it is just a matter of time. 780 is good enough, but market will push ppl to buy newer, bigger and higher res tv sets.

If you are a music lover and sound is important to you, you already replaced the CDs you bought in the late 80's early 90's for new and better engineered versions in the 2000's (and I'm not even talking about Super Audio CD, just what the music industry call "remastered" versions)

I'm not planning to buy a 4K screen or TV any soon (I don't really consume TV, but the wife does...) but I had the chance to go to a Red event last summer at one of the few movie theaters in NYC that can projest 4K, and see a Real made on 4D, including Vincent Laforet's work. Images are impressive. Better than ever. In time, 4k will be mainstream (and they will try to sell us something else...)
Last edited by pakodominguez on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I think it's more to do with price. Yes a few will rush out a dump a bit of cash on a 4k tv (they are expensive right now)

In 5 years time when they are not pricey and your normal HD tv dies or you need to replace it down the line you might well get a 4k one.
It's really purely down to adoption and that's based heavily on price.

I can't really predict what Sony's plans are, but the lack of action with A Mount has many users nervous. It's surely doing damage to their user base with A mount.
You could argue Sony want "new customers" but in the same way the OM mount demise did long term damage to Olympus (I know more than a few who turned their back on the company after that)

If that is Sony's eventual plan I think long term it will not convey a good image for the company
Who knows..we shall see what happens
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bfitzgerald wrote: In 5 years time when they are not pricey and your normal HD tv dies or you need to replace it down the line you might well get a 4k one.
Yes. And by that time, content in 4K will be easily available.
bfitzgerald wrote: I can't really predict what Sony's plans are, but the lack of action with A Mount has many users nervous. It's surely doing damage to their user base with A mount.
From your friend Thom: http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/gra ... eener.html
In other words: what do you need that is not available now? (probably you (MOST OF US) can not afford it...)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Just as a matter of interest. Using 780 as a factor of 1.0 what is the cost of equipment and transmission factor for 1080 and 4k using current technology ?

So what would be for free to air using towers, cable and internet download.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Haha don't even mention internet streaming. My BT broadband frequently struggles with nonHD BBC iplayer program's so I don't even try HD let alone think about 4k.
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I have the fastest t hat can be currently provided to this area - a notional 1.5 mbs which in practice is usually about 500,000 kbs.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

pakodominguez wrote: I don't think the issue is the support (DVD against VHS) but about image quality/resolution. Your DVDs are probably 780P and any modern DVD player do a reasonably good job up-scaling to 1080. Because today the standard is full HD 1920x1080p. At some point that standard will change, to 4K. It is a matter of time. This is not 3D with costly glasses and TV sets and no much content available (specially no channels broadcasting 3D, or stream services) This is more resolution and we will get there the same way we went from 600*800 to 1200*1600 screen resolution on our desktops.
DVDs are 480i. Upscaling is not as good as 1080p, even though most people are satisfied. I wish the upscaling was better.
bfitzgerald wrote: This A7s is fine for serious film makers (and might be a bargain for them) I can't see on the ground video shooters rushing to it though, why take 4k footage when nobody can view it!

Pako it's that horrible phrase again that companies don't want to hear (it's a sales killer) "good enough"
As I told you before, it is just a matter of time. 780 is good enough, but market will push ppl to buy newer, bigger and higher res tv sets.
The market, or manufacturers? I got a 1080p set years ago, but if I had 720p, it probably would have been enough. The pixel pitch is small enough that you'll need big sets to take advantage of 4k. Then again, maybe I can handle a bigger set next time. And get 4k and 3d. Maybe they'll have it where I won't need stupid glasses!
If you are a music lover and sound is important to you, you already replaced the CDs you bought in the late 80's early 90's for new and better engineered versions in the 2000's (and I'm not even talking about Super Audio CD, just what the music industry call "remastered" versions)

But most of us are now buying Mp3s which are of a lower quality. I dunno, the mass market can only hear so much additional cost. I think this is part of the problem with 3d.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

WEX have the A7s pre order for £2500!
I hope they got that wrong :lol:
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

bfitzgerald wrote:WEX have the A7s pre order for £2500!
I hope they got that wrong :lol:
It's not expensive, it's just overpriced at least two times. :)
Everything in the life unusual!
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

[quote]bfitzgerald wrote:
WEX have the A7s pre order for £2500!
I hope they got that wrong
It's not expensive, it's just overpriced at least two times.
quote]
I don't think you people understand that you are not part of the market for the A7s.
Look at Len Dennie's review and video (bottom) for this camera at max ISO.
http://www.fstopacademy.com/blog/sony-a ... ng-review/ (From SAR).
He is convinced and also stating this camera is for film makers. If they can use it they will pay £2500.00. I can imagine that the ISO performance will be used in atmospheric film scenes where artificial light is not welcome.
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

I have just had a "light bulb" moment about the massive ISO of the A7s. It is made for shooting in total darkness so you don't have to worry about "light leaks"... :twisted:
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....