SAR SR5 Rumour about Sony A7s with 4K on Sunday in Las Vegas

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

SAR SR5 Rumour about Sony A7s with 4K on Sunday in Las Vegas

Unread post by alphaomega »

SAR has been busy today with SR5 rumours about an A7s with 4K video and maybe faster AF.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony ... -4k-video/
(SR5) Sony A7s will shoot 4k video! Live announcement at 2pm Las Vegas time on Sunday!
He is also speculating that
I am still not 100% sure yet if it will also feature the superb A6000 hybrid AF. But my guess is that the answer is YES and this could be the reason why it has the “S” suffix for “Speed”
Time will tell, but it just confirms that Sony are aiming for the upper segments of "camera spenders" - quality and performance before price.
It may be time for "the penny counters" to find another brand.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: SAR SR5 Rumour about Sony A7s with 4K on Sunday in Las V

Unread post by classiccameras »

Finding another brand is easy, perhaps Sony don't want us budget snappers any more.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Don't forget. Sony also sells the A3000 and A3500 (what's the difference again?). Also, the A220, etc.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I am stumped
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony ... me-sensor/
The Sony A7s keeps surprising us! It will get announced on Sunday already(!) and it will record 4K video. And now I just learned it features a new 12 megapixel Full Frame sensor!
I will believe it when I see it only. Perhaps it has to do with the 4K video. What do I know. Who will buy 12Mp? Maybe it will go to a trillion ISO or something like that.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

For those who want premium 12mp won't matter. Just price it high, very high, to declare its premiumness.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

16MP like the Nikon D4s and Df is one thing but simply 12 MP ? Unless there has been a principally video sensor developed I can't see where this would have come from. I would have thought such a sensor would have been destined for Sonys professional cinema and broadcast cameras rather than appearing in a small bodied RX style camera. I would imagine that running at 25 - 30 fps would generate a lot of heat even in short bursts.

Why put it in a $2500 camera when you want to sell $20000 to $50000 cameras ?
Last edited by peterottaway on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

How bigs is a single 4k frame? Anywhere near 12 Mp?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Depending on format I thought 4k was 8-9mp.
I'd be amazed if Sony make a 12mp camera (I don't mind but it's just not Sony they love pixels)

Once the industry has done selling everyone 4k tv's, then they'll try to sell us 8k ones :mrgreen:

For most 4k is no big deal..it's not a game changer at all
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

I am completely uninterested in 4k. I like HD, I like my blu rays, but storage is expensive enough, and I don't expect to have a 4k screen any time soon....
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

In order to achieve 4K they way they want to, they may need to restrict the sensor to 12MP.

I'm not really interested. There are too many lenses and accessories missing from the A7 system and the whole overall mess of different formats and cameras is leaving me a) with too many cameras to test or write about b) never knowing which way to go.

David
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

It seems that every 2 - 3 years there is a new fad for the TV industry to try out. Some work out , others don't. 3D certainly didn't. I may be a bit of a mug punter for things shiny and new photographically, but I picked up a decent digital TV two years ago and a high end universal player about a year ago and that's it for me.

Sony appears to have a success with the RX "Family " and having a corporate tradition of niche marketing and the available parts, have decided to see whether there was a market for such a camera. I can see some justification for those providing both video and stills for a living without having the money to outlay for separate systems. But until Sony provide a wider system this could be a limited appeal,

All I can say is I'm not part of of whatever market demographic Sony is chasing.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Just to look at the other end of the TV transmission chain, a friend of mine is a TV camera man, although he has asked me not to mention the company he works for. He uses a Sony mobile studio floor unit and he said nothing comes near it for IQ, but the quality the camera records is not always repeated at the TV end of the system.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Camera is not that interesting to me, but a very interesting price. Both for the cropped Canon video and for higher end m43 from Olympus and Panasonic and APS Fuji.

Sony certainly thinks that the mix and match wardrobe is back in fashion. Although to maximize their return they probably need to introduce a similar plan in APS cameras as well.

Living in an area with high contrast lighting any improvements in dynamic range in future sensors would be very welcome
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I have not seen the price (no information confirmed yet)
I don't see this as a big deal or interesting in any way unless you are a serious video shooter who needs 4k

For stills shooters it's a big yawn all around. I don't have a problem with the 12mp if the low light performance is awesome (it might find a target market)
Roll on the A Mount news, E mount is getting tiresome :mrgreen:
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

The price I saw was USD 1699.