The sincerest form of flattery ... Leica T announced

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Birma
Tower of Babel

The sincerest form of flattery ... Leica T announced

Unread post by Birma »

DPR have an early review, and Steve Huff has a review up as well.

I am surprised how similar this is to the early Nex 3 and 5 in general styling.

I wonder if the biggest influence will be the acceptance of a large touch screen interface with less physical controls. (Interesting that both sites above refer to this being what a camera from Apple would be like :) .)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: The sincerest form of flattery ... Leica T announced

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Another new mount surprising considering the limited market appeal
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

Birma wrote:...
I am surprised how similar this is to the early Nex 3 and 5 in general styling.

I wonder if the biggest influence will be the acceptance of a large touch screen interface with less physical controls. (Interesting that both sites above refer to this being what a camera from Apple would be like :) .)
But why the lack of physical controls? At the time of the iPhone launch, texting with a physical keypad (thumbpad) was popular, but Jobs insisted that Apple ban even add-ons from providing the same experience. After a while, people got used to the new virtual keyboard (even though it was probably a worse experience for die-hard texters). I think the same might be true for cameras -- you might be able to do just fine with a touch screen, but the lack of physical buttons is sure to turn some people off. It's nice to have a physical button that is right there, where you can feel it. I often use a physical (Apple!) keyboard with my iPad. So, in some ways this is a step backwards, but the camera will probably work just fine for the most part, like other cameras without an EVF work fine, even if an EVF would be better sometimes.

As for the Nex 3 and 5, they look like even better bang-for-the-buck deals. ;-)
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Moving slightly off topic I am surprised that Sony are laggards on the touch-screen interface front; I would have thought they would have been right up there with Samsung, Oly and Panny on this. With the A6000 seeming to be such a continuous auto-focus demon, a touch screen, point to focus would be a great addition. I think we still have some room for improvement on the connectivity / wireless front as well.

All things to look forward to I suppose :)

I don't think the Leica T will be on my wish list though.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I would agree though I will say touch screen only works well "if" it's used in combination with real controls (buttons/dials etc)
The 70d is a good example it can work very well (touch to focus for one), but not as a replacement for other controls

It is surprising in some ways, if it bothers many buyers is another question
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

I hated the touch screen on my old Panasonic G3, if you didn't have dainty fingers or scolled slowly enough it found settings you weren't looking for.
I'm sure most of this was my fault but I have to say that there were many short cuts to settings and programmes using the touch screen that would take a lot longer pressing buttons and moving dials. Having said all that, I do not miss touch screen on my A37/57. A lot depends on how much adjustment you wish to make while using the OVF/EVF as against taking the camera from the eye to use the LCD which can be a pain at times especially in bright weather.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Looking at the image samples (as seen at dpr), I'd say they have tonnes of problems with internal reflections in the sensor toppings plus some very funny DoF modulation problems reminiscent of what I've seen with the Nex5N.
So far, quite poor an attempt by Leica...
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Interesting what dpreview discovered after being misled by Leica:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/leica-t-typ701/6