A7s pricing

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

A7s pricing

Unread post by peterottaway »

GBP 2499 and AUD2799. It may be time for anyone in Britain who is interested in an A7s to get in touch with their 2nd cousin, five times removed in OZ and get a discounted airfare and buy the camera out here. After all if you are careful where you winter in Australia you won't notice the difference from a British summer.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: A7s pricing

Unread post by bakubo »

I see that it is US$2498 at B&H in the U.S. Haven't been able to find a price for here in Japan yet.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I’m wondering how many are actually going to buy it and why, whatsit for? :roll:
Greg

Ps Hmmm £2499 is currently equivalent to $4549AUD :shock: so the UK price is absurd, $2498USD is about $2695AUD at the moment so the B&H price is roughly $100 cheaper than if you bought it in Australia, but then I bet it would cost about $80 for UPS so no great difference I guess, for anyone buying it here that is, except for the warranty issues (and the USA charger socket is different…if there was a charger socket, that is)
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Greg Beetham wrote:I’m wondering how many are actually going to buy it and why, whatsit for? :roll:
Greg
Definitely the perfect camera for low light photography and video, 4K included.
I was thinking about this camera for my event photography. for small events, I deliver 6MP, so 24 or 36MP is too much. It takes HHDD space and resources when editing. I'm using now the A700 or the A7R with LAEA4 and 16-105 in crop mode (files are 16 MP).

The 12 MP of the A7S is really tempting. But not at 2500$. The AF in low light is still slow and not 100% reliable. I already have the Zeiss 24-70 f4 that I can use with the camera.

If I get a project that justify it, I'll probably buy it. But I don't think it will happen.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

pakodominguez wrote: Definitely the perfect camera for low light photography and video, 4K included.
I was thinking about this camera for my event photography. for small events, I deliver 6MP, so 24 or 36MP is too much. It takes HHDD space and resources when editing. I'm using now the A700 or the A7R with LAEA4 and 16-105 in crop mode (files are 16 MP).

The 12 MP of the A7S is really tempting. But not at 2500$. The AF in low light is still slow and not 100% reliable. I already have the Zeiss 24-70 f4 that I can use with the camera.

If I get a project that justify it, I'll probably buy it. But I don't think it will happen.
Yeah ok Pako, that sounds like it has a specialized purpose in life and the preliminary write-up that dpr http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/04/06 ... title_3_27 gave it (it reads more like a press release) seems to indicate the primary function is high class video with yet another video type lens in the works for it.
How good is the AF at the claimed -4EV though? I heard the AF starts to struggle on the A7 much sooner than that but apparently the A7r has better AF and the A7s has the same system as the latter.
I would tend to question the battery size it has for FF video usage, as far as I know video consumes plenty of battery power and the battery is the smaller NPFW50 used in the NEX APS-C cameras, it would surely need a larger power supply for reliable extended use at an event one would think.
At least this model apparently comes with a charger…according to the specs.
Greg
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

The Super35mm Canon EOS C100 with 8.3 MP is twice the price of the Sony A7s and EOS 1D-C with 18 MP is 6-7 times the price. If you are into that sort of thing. If you just want a low light still camera you can get that out of the box. In low light many photographers even now prefer manual focus and Sony certainly provides you with decently useable choices.

With the Sony you can get the camera reasonably cheaply and then add on with what you want / need extra. Camera battery grip ? AC power connector ? External Recorder of your choice ? External power pack ? Choice of external monitor ? It's all up to your needs and how deep your pockets are.

Not my type of camera but still it will appeal to some.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Sony A7S extreme rolling shutter

http://www.eoshd.com/content/12631/sony ... utter-test

Here’s a test which shows what I feared and what very few seemingly dared ask Sony in interviews at NAB. The A7S looks to have similarly extreme rolling shutter to the AX100, at least in the early pre-production firmware stages.

Jello Shots with the Sony A7S

http://andrewwonder.com/blog/entry/jello-shots-sony-a7s

Has this been fixed in later firmware?
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

bakubo wrote:Sony A7S extreme rolling shutter

http://www.eoshd.com/content/12631/sony ... utter-test

Here’s a test which shows what I feared and what very few seemingly dared ask Sony in interviews at NAB. The A7S looks to have similarly extreme rolling shutter to the AX100, at least in the early pre-production firmware stages.

Jello Shots with the Sony A7S

http://andrewwonder.com/blog/entry/jello-shots-sony-a7s

Has this been fixed in later firmware?
In different interviews, Sony's mark Wier already said that "rolling shutter" is as expected from a CMOS sensor. "As expected" means that you can not shoot the way people test for rolling shutter (nobody really shoots that way). For that, get an old 3CCD handycam...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Greg Beetham wrote: Yeah ok Pako, that sounds like it has a specialized purpose in life and the preliminary write-up that dpr http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/04/06 ... title_3_27 gave it (it reads more like a press release) seems to indicate the primary function is high class video with yet another video type lens in the works for it.
That is not bad: more and more money is invested in RD, the new lenses are quite good overall, new technology is applied to lenses also and you can see that in the wonderful SEL 10-18, the FE 35 and 50mm and the FE 24-70 (I believe the 16-70 f4 is good also, but I haven't try it).
Greg Beetham wrote: How good is the AF at the claimed -4EV though? I heard the AF starts to struggle on the A7 much sooner than that but apparently the A7r has better AF and the A7s has the same system as the latter.
Greg Beetham wrote:The A7 has better AF than the A7R 9and apparently than the A7S). They can claim whatever they want. But in real life, the performance of the AF in low light is not as good, still far from what we have on the A-Mount cameras.

The A7S meant to make a dent in the video world, specially if Canon fails to present an answer soon. Still, do not expect to see ppl waiting in line on the streets of Paris, Berlin, London and NYC, excited for grabbing the first shipment...
Pako
------------
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

UK prices usually are a wallet gouge though in some cases less so than others.
At this level I think it's really only of interest to video shooters, for them it might make a sound purchase (I have only a basic knowledge of video requirements, but I can see some pull for people like this)

As for stills it's a dead duck nobody will pay that kind of price even if you are big into low light photography.
This kind of thing (lower mp FF camera) should have been done years ago when the A900/850 were around. It's too limited in appeal for most photo folks.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

pakodominguez wrote:In different interviews, Sony's mark Wier already said that "rolling shutter" is as expected from a CMOS sensor. "As expected" means that you can not shoot the way people test for rolling shutter (nobody really shoots that way). For that, get an old 3CCD handycam...
Uhh, okay. Experienced videographers say it is a problem, but a Sony marketing or whatever guy tells them they don't know how to make a video and it isn't a problem. :lol:

I don't do video and only a handful of times just for grins I tried the video mode on various digicams (Canon A590IS, Canon S95, Canon G15). I have never used it on my Olympus E-M5 or Panasonic G3. Maybe all of them have this rolling shutter thing too. But, they aren't aimed at professional videographers either.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

bakubo wrote:
pakodominguez wrote:In different interviews, Sony's mark Wier already said that "rolling shutter" is as expected from a CMOS sensor. "As expected" means that you can not shoot the way people test for rolling shutter (nobody really shoots that way). For that, get an old 3CCD handycam...
Uhh, okay. Experienced videographers say it is a problem, but a Sony marketing or whatever guy tells them they don't know how to make a video and it isn't a problem. :lol:
They know how to make a video.
I believe there is a reason this camera "only" cost 2500 $ and a camera that have not has that issue, like the CineAlta cost 29000 $
Pako
------------
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

pakodominguez wrote:
bakubo wrote:
I believe there is a reason this camera "only" cost 2500 $ and a camera that have not has that issue, like the CineAlta cost 29000 $
Ok I think I’m getting it, the A7s has wobbly video because it has a CMOS sensor. The part I’m struggling with so far is why make a video biased FF camera with a CMOS sensor in it in that case? :roll: Why not use a CCD if that works better?
Personally I don’t think I’d buy one (if I wanted a video/still camera) because it only costs $2500 if you then end up with wobbly video.
Greg

Ps Ok the A7 AF is better…whatever, I knew one of em was a bit better than the other.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

So only Sony CMOS sensors in Sony cameras produce " wobbly " video ? So no other manufacturer has this " problem "?

Or are you making Sony jump through hoops that you are prepared to ignore in other cameras ?

It is like the query about battery life. Yes industrial grade studio or live broadcast equipment is one thing, wedding / events photography may require recording for some minutes at a time but a lot of production video takes can be anything from 15-20 seconds to a couple of minutes at most. Even music videos are usually edited from a number of takes and are likely to involve several cameras. And traditional animation makes snail pace appear to be in hyper-drive.

There is in sci-fi terms a multiverse of video realities out there.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Greg Beetham wrote:
pakodominguez wrote:
bakubo wrote: Uhh, okay. Experienced videographers say it is a problem, but a Sony marketing or whatever guy tells them they don't know how to make a video and it isn't a problem. :lol:
Ok I think I’m getting it, the A7s has wobbly video because it has a CMOS sensor. The part I’m struggling with so far is why make a video biased FF camera with a CMOS sensor in it in that case? :roll: Why not use a CCD if that works better?
Personally I don’t think I’d buy one (if I wanted a video/still camera) because it only costs $2500 if you then end up with wobbly video.
Greg
As far as I understand, CMOS is just a marketing name for a sort of CCD...

This cameras don't produce "wobbly video". That is a misconception. What happens is that, if you move the camera in a certain way, like a violent pan, the refreshing on this camera sensor is not fast enough, so you have the "wobbly" effect. If you pan slowly, you won't see the Rolling Shutter effect.

This cameras (including Canon or Nikon or Panasonic or Olympus) have all the same issue, at different degrees. A good operator knows how to avoid it. Otherwise, you buy the CineAlta...
Pako
------------