A6000 review on DPR

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
jeep1
Initiate

A6000 review on DPR

Unread post by jeep1 »

Was rather pleased to see that according to DPR's comparison that high ISO noise and RAW performance is not quite as good as the NEX 7. Small margins maybe, or pseudo science, but I'm very happy with the images my NEX 7 produces and the interface is well learnt now :D
OneGuyKs

Re: A6000 review on DPR

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

jeep1 wrote:Was rather pleased to see that according to DPR's comparison that high ISO noise and RAW performance is not quite as good as the NEX 7.
Not only that isn't true, but if it were true, why should that make you happy?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

jeep1 wrote:Was rather pleased to see that according to DPR's comparison that high ISO noise and RAW performance is not quite as good as the NEX 7.
Thanks for the info. Every time I have held a NEX 7 I thought it felt good in the hands.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

OneGuyKs wrote:
I doubt it's true as well. I can think of other reasons to prefer a Nex-7, though. Although, I can think of reasons to prefer a Nex-6. :mrgreen:

As for why that would make him happy, he said he owned a Nex-7, so I guess he's worried about feeling like it's obsolete. But, it still takes photos today same as yesterday. As long as you like the results (and the results should be darned good), why not keep using the Nex-7? No need to upgrade to each new model.

Meanwhile, I think a lot of Nex-7 fans jumped to A7, not to A6000.
jeep1
Initiate

Unread post by jeep1 »

Vidgamer wrote:
OneGuyKs wrote:
I doubt it's true as well. I can think of other reasons to prefer a Nex-7, though. Although, I can think of reasons to prefer a Nex-6. :mrgreen:

As for why that would make him happy, he said he owned a Nex-7, so I guess he's worried about feeling like it's obsolete. But, it still takes photos today same as yesterday. As long as you like the results (and the results should be darned good), why not keep using the Nex-7? No need to upgrade to each new model.

Meanwhile, I think a lot of Nex-7 fans jumped to A7, not to A6000.
1. Wether true or not that is what the DPR site shows if you compare the A6000 with the NEX 7 in percentage terms on those two parameters :-)

2. Very happy that the NEX 7 sensor still delivers the goods in the most important areas to me, image quality in RAW and ISO noise. No reason to go for the newer sensor.

3. Yes vey happy with my NEX 7. I use it most of the time. I also have a NEX 5n and a A5000 that a I bought for its WI-Fi for remote use controlled from iPhone (the a5000 sensor seems good also). I'm using my A900 very little at the moment although it still comes in handy.
binder
Acolyte

Unread post by binder »

I am also generally happy with my Nex 7 which is a delight in the hand. However areas where I felt improvements were needed were the autofocus (pictures of children and motoring events) and the menu system which I found irritating. I decided to go for the A6000 and have to say that I am delighted with it particularly the improvements to the the two aspects already mentioned. The continuous autofocus is a vast improvement and a real pleasure to use and the menu no longer frustrates. I will keep the Nex7 but must say that the A6000 is now my first choice for most purposes. I liked the Tri Navi set up but find that the controls on the A6000 are probably more instinctive and I no longer keep accidently dialling in some exposure compensation. I find the supposedly downgraded viewfinder more natural to use than the Nex7 one. These factors overide minor differences in sensor performance for me. Both great cameras I love the build of the Nex7 but performance wise the A6000 has it for my purposes.
jeep1
Initiate

Unread post by jeep1 »

binder wrote:I am also generally happy with my Nex 7 which is a delight in the hand. However areas where I felt improvements were needed were the autofocus (pictures of children and motoring events) and the menu system which I found irritating. I decided to go for the A6000 and have to say that I am delighted with it particularly the improvements to the the two aspects already mentioned. The continuous autofocus is a vast improvement and a real pleasure to use and the menu no longer frustrates. I will keep the Nex7 but must say that the A6000 is now my first choice for most purposes. I liked the Tri Navi set up but find that the controls on the A6000 are probably more instinctive and I no longer keep accidently dialling in some exposure compensation. I find the supposedly downgraded viewfinder more natural to use than the Nex7 one. These factors overide minor differences in sensor performance for me. Both great cameras I love the build of the Nex7 but performance wise the A6000 has it for my purposes.
Hi, that sounds like a fair summing up. I've got so used to the NEX 7 menu after nearly three years and for my purpose, mainly landscape and still life it still delivers the goods. I really like the electronic spirit level also which I find really useful even with a grid visible. Just pleased it still delivers the goods for me.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I have held a long lasting urge to acquire this A6000, but decided to wait until "the price is right". After all, there was nothing wrong with my NEX-6 or indeed my NEX-5N. After replacing my RX100 with the wonderful MK3 I thought this was it, but the Sony came up with their £50 "cash-back". I have concluded that with women and cameras desire trumps common sense so I had to buy an A6000 and will now try and dispose of the NEX-5N.
Feared that my current zooms (10-18, 16-50 & 55-110) would fare badly at 24Mp, but I have been pleasantly surprised (even with the so-called inferior 16-50). They are doing rather well at 100%. Admittedly the 10-18 has corner problems, but that is endemic for such wide zooms. For this lens at wide angle I will just crop or reduce file size. After all I would still have bought this camera with a 20Mp sensor similar to my A58. I feel more at home with the A-mount menu system and love the ISO setting with intermediates between 100-400-800 etc. The viewfinder is better than NEX-6 even although "inferior" in terms of pixels. Fancy being able to take 11 shots per second with this little gem.
So I have now resolved that "this is it". As far as I am concerned my RX100M3, A6000 and A58 are the limits of technology I require. I have been saying this for some time and been found to be wrong, but this time it will stick? Why? Because these cameras (between them) can do everything I need them to do and latest models such as RX100M4 and all the A7 stuff is simply beyond what I require. From now on "common sense" will prevail (I hope).