SAR SR3 rumour on NEX-7 Replacement next year.

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

SAR SR3 rumour on NEX-7 Replacement next year.

Unread post by alphaomega »

This rumour has a low rating, but does not sound impossible since Sony are focussing on the premium market.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-very ... ter-speed/
I have no interest in upgrading to the A6000 as I do not think there is enough in this model to make me dispose of my NEX-6.
2015 will see the release of the a7000. It will include a new version of the 16-50 powerzoom dubbed version II with much improved quality. The camera itself will feature full tethering capabilities, 4k video (uncompressed output), 1/8000 shutter speed, weather sealing, and maintain its rangefinder style. Above all this, a new 16-70 zeiss will be released that will be weather sealed as well. The 16-50 will not be weather sealed.
The sensor will be a new one, but still 24 mpx.
Forgetting about K4 (now obligatory in premium cameras) I would be interested in possibly the camera fitted with CZ 16-70 if the corner weaknesses are eliminated and the camera has the rumoured wider DR sensor. A sharper 18-70 with a sensor with a couple more DR steps would be ideal in a camera incorporating a quality EVF, A6000 type focussing speed, high ISO and 1/8000 shutter.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: SAR SR3 rumour on NEX-7 Replacement next year.

Unread post by classiccameras »

Will it still be rubbish JPeg out put I wonder
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

alphaomega wrote:This rumour has a low rating, but does not sound impossible since Sony are focussing on the premium market.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-very ... ter-speed/
I have no interest in upgrading to the A6000 as I do not think there is enough in this model to make me dispose of my NEX-6.
2015 will see the release of the a7000. It will include a new version of the 16-50 powerzoom dubbed version II with much improved quality. The camera itself will feature full tethering capabilities, 4k video (uncompressed output), 1/8000 shutter speed, weather sealing, and maintain its rangefinder style. Above all this, a new 16-70 zeiss will be released that will be weather sealed as well. The 16-50 will not be weather sealed.
The sensor will be a new one, but still 24 mpx.
Forgetting about K4 (now obligatory in premium cameras) I would be interested in possibly the camera fitted with CZ 16-70 if the corner weaknesses are eliminated and the camera has the rumoured wider DR sensor. A sharper 18-70 with a sensor with a couple more DR steps would be ideal in a camera incorporating a quality EVF, A6000 type focussing speed, high ISO and 1/8000 shutter.
I wouldn't mind a better 16-50, or even 4K video, but 1/18000 shutter? Or is that 1/8000? Either way, seems a bit unnecessary. Just another spec to tick off against competition that's already there. Anyway, I can see where many people would welcome a 4K video option, although I would probably rarely, if ever use it. I don't have a 4K TV, don't have 4K storage, etc. I guess if the compression rate is high enough and they work out more details, I could warm up to it, but it's hard for me to get excited about it right now.

I, like you, am still using the Nex-6, and no intention of upgrading soon. I think where the A6000 sounds compelling is the superior tracking and burst mode. Not the burst speed, but better focusing during a burst, and better tracking of subjects. The Nex-6 has some tracking abilities, but I can't get it to refocus during a speed burst. So, if that's an important criteria (it isn't for me, as I just don't shoot "action" that often, and don't often "speed burst"), then I think it'd be a compelling upgrade. The A6000 also has more resolution, which could matter. I can't say that I worry as much about resolution or high-ISO as much anymore, as it's at a pretty high quality level now; we're really reaching diminishing returns. Can we reach a point where we just don't need an update for a few years? Things are still changing rapidly, so maybe things will look different in a couple of years.

Back in the early days of digital cameras, the resolution improvements were very important and welcome. And even then, I didn't upgrade every year. SO, yeah, I'm keeping the Nex-6 for a while longer.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

classiccameras wrote:Will it still be rubbish JPeg out put I wonder
Which camera has "rubbish JPEG"?

I turn NR to "low", as the camera otherwise has pretty heavy-handed NR, but that's my main gripe. Nex-6 output looks better than the Nex-5, but if I want the best quality, I use RAW. Shouldn't be surprising, though -- there's so much more horsepower the computer can throw at the problem of converting.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Maybe rubbish was the wrong word to use, every review I have read on Sony cameras mainly the Alpha A mounts gave them poor marks for Jpeg out put and no noise filter off facility. Yep, you can select low noise filter but it really is only doing its job at high ISO. DP reviews were very critical of the over zealous default noise reduction causing fine detail to be smoothed over. I can see the argument for using RAW with Sony cameras.