Rumoured Sony Sensor Developments

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

Rumoured Sony Sensor Developments

Unread post by alphaomega »

I am sitting tight on my A58/NEX-6 and NEX-5N cameras as well as my RX100 awaiting sensor developments, which will give me a wider DR range than present offering. The A6000 is tempting as is the RX100III for me. However, what I possess at present is definitely good enough compared with current upgrade options. So what can we expect. Latest interesting rumours from SAR
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-pat ... re-sensor/
If true it will be possible to immediately get correctly exposed images in high contrast situations. Most of my photography does not require high shutter speeds like sports so that would be a worthwhile improvement.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/copernic ... e-sensors/
This is clearly a long shot, but this DxO Mark comparison of 7DII with A77II would seem to confirm that Canon cannot keep up with Sony when it comes to sensor development
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/a-mount- ... k-at-that/
Look at the DR difference of over 1.5 EVs in DR. Stunning.
So I will wait with any upgrades until Sony present replacements for the A6000 and RX100III with sensors displaying wider DR and potentially also ability to capture more detail in high contrast images. Clearly the two go together. Interesting times. Staying with Sony would appear to be a good long term strategy even if there will be no replacement for A58 type cameras. On the other hand Canon may improve and become more competitive as they adopt Sony sensors. That will make my day.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: Rumoured Sony Sensor Developments

Unread post by alphaomega »

For those who are interested, here is another post rated SR5 by SAR I find interesting, not because I wish to get into FE, but the "spread" of the technology to A and E systems.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-alph ... -february/
1) First of a complete new generation of interchangeable Full Frame E-mount camera(s). Which means the tech is redesigned from ground up!
2) Complete new sensors (this means brand new tech and huge bump forward in quality). I hope to get details about that soon but it should have “many” Megapixels.
3) Use of an advanced version of the hybrid A6000 autofocus system.
4) Unlike the current A7 series this new generation of FF E-mount cameras are made for the very PRO market! Designed to challenge the best DSLR cameras on market like the Nikon D810 or Canon 5DmarkIII (on aspects like autofocus, reliability, build quality and features).
As stated above I would be prepared to replace my NEX-5N with an upgraded A6000 with the new sensor persistently rumoured as long as I get the wider DR than current E mount cameras offer. The A6000 improved AF would also be welcome, but not sufficient without the improved sensor. So I am even more determined to sit tight on my current crop of Sony cameras and wait for 2015 releases, in particular of A6000/NEX-7 type replacements.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: Rumoured Sony Sensor Developments

Unread post by classiccameras »

I can't see Canon using Sony sensors as their rumour sites indicate new APS-C sensors are being developed, could be wrong though, we will have to wait and see.
I use a Canon 550D and I think it takes nicer pics than my A-57, especially Jpegs. The Alpha mount SLT cameras have a very good DR and are one of the best for that. I can't comment on E mount though.

I was always impressed with the NEX-5N picture quality that members have posted, almost the same as the A37, same sensor apparently, and later models in my opinion have not been dramatically better.

As one comment I read in a photo web site, Sony make the best sensors, pity they can't get the best out of them like other cameras manufacturers have, Namely, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus.