Sony A7s, Fuji X-T1, Olympus E-M1 -- 8 side by side tests

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Sony A7s, Fuji X-T1, Olympus E-M1 -- 8 side by side tests

Unread post by bakubo »

Someone posted this recently and it was sort of interesting.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/02/2 ... ull-frame/
ValeryD
Viceroy

Re: Sony A7s, Fuji X-T1, Olympus E-M1 -- 8 side by side test

Unread post by ValeryD »

bakubo wrote:Someone posted this recently and it was sort of interesting.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/02/2 ... ull-frame/
Super!
Everything in the life unusual!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

ValeryD wrote:Super!
Yeah, interesting read.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I read Steve's posts and articles sometimes but can't help but think he's a bit "Ken Rockwell" ie trying to be controversial
I didn't really feel the article was balanced and I don't think he's objective enough.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:I read Steve's posts and articles sometimes but can't help but think he's a bit "Ken Rockwell" ie trying to be controversial
I didn't really feel the article was balanced and I don't think he's objective enough.
I think this may have been the first time I had read anything on his site. How was it not balanced?
bfitzgerald

bakubo wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote:I read Steve's posts and articles sometimes but can't help but think he's a bit "Ken Rockwell" ie trying to be controversial
I think this may have been the first time I had read anything on his site. How was it not balanced?
For one the "detail test" what are we testing the lenses or the sensor? If you don't use the same lens you can't make any meaningful conclusion about "detail" quite easy to do with these cameras with a single lens and an adapter.

On the high ISO tests no mention of the fact Fuji and Olympus overstate their ISO levels so shooting all at in the camera rated ISO isn't telling us much.
The worst part is all his articles seem tainted with a strong "micro 4/3 love affair" element. If you are going to push yourself as a product reviewer (for various platforms and makers) you have to be a lot more neutral than Steve is. Looks to me like a place where micro 4/3 users go to "make themselves feel better"
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

bfitzgerald wrote:For one the "detail test" what are we testing the lenses or the sensor? If you don't use the same lens you can't make any meaningful conclusion about "detail" quite easy to do with these cameras with a single lens and an adapter.

On the high ISO tests no mention of the fact Fuji and Olympus overstate their ISO levels so shooting all at in the camera rated ISO isn't telling us much.
The worst part is all his articles seem tainted with a strong "micro 4/3 love affair" element. If you are going to push yourself as a product reviewer (for various platforms and makers) you have to be a lot more neutral than Steve is. Looks to me like a place where micro 4/3 users go to "make themselves feel better"
It's one big conclusion from the test. How big difference between in the technology of new cameras. As it is. In my vision it's not a correct test in details, but it's give the consumer exactly what they can get from the store shelves. Without big time spending the money for a super duper lenses and using a special option in the camera menu. Other words, comparing the price and the quality of what you pay for the camera. The cameras in the price arrangement start from low budget and high end product as Sony a7. It's not really big difference as we can see from Sony advertising his own big jump in a photo and electronic technology.
Everything in the life unusual!
bfitzgerald

That's one way of looking at it I suppose
I don't have a problem with his site or the way he does his reviews he's quite open and honest and I like that.
Maybe he just gets overly enthusiastic about things I've liked a lot of products but I can also see the weaker sides and things I'd change. I'd prefer a little less gushing at times he goes overboard there.

Let's be honest he's not really telling us anything new though even budget stuff can yield good results, as can smaller sensors.
Still at least he does put reviews and articles up unlike most of the major camera review sites which seem to have turned into "news sites" rather than review sites. DPR is so diluted now they can't even put up reviews in a reasonable time (wandering into other pointless areas such as mobiles and tablets) One person I know who is a journalist said to me the era of "dedicated" review sites is coming to an end it will end up being blogger and customer reviews.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Imaging resource used to be a good review site and Steve's Digicams wasn't bad, at least he put up real world test pictures for you to look at.

Peter
bfitzgerald

classiccameras wrote:Imaging resource used to be a good review site and Steve's Digicams wasn't bad, at least he put up real world test pictures for you to look at.

Peter
Used to be good being the word! Steve's was always a walk-through more than a review though as you say least you got some samples. Photography blog is just a preview site with samples too fine for looking at shots but they are not reviews. IR can still at times put up a decent review from time to time. DCRP is gone now, an oddball one is Neocamera they're not bad at all layout is a bit odd at times but worth a peek now and then

I have not bought a photo magazine for a while so can't say how AP and other mags are doing.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

About right Barry, AP probably the most biased of the review sites although their reviews are quite revealing, Or in other words, cameras not in favour get marked down for minor points where as in favour cameras get high marks for small often insignificant improvements, they are a PENCANON site. Neocamera weird format but as you say not bad. Cnet UK are a good middle of the road review site but no in depth analysis. DPr get lost in the depths of testing forgetting the real world results.
bfitzgerald

classiccameras wrote:About right Barry, AP probably the most biased of the review sites although their reviews are quite revealing, Or in other words, cameras not in favour get marked down for minor points where as in favour cameras get high marks for small often insignificant improvements, they are a PENCANON site. Neocamera weird format but as you say not bad. Cnet UK are a good middle of the road review site but no in depth analysis. DPr get lost in the depths of testing forgetting the real world results.

Yes I think you are right DPR tend to get too deep and forget the "big picture" as such. It's often a bit too much to wade though things sometimes I skip through a review (when they actually put one up) Honestly I think youtubers seem to have grabbed the limelight I take a trip there to get a better look at some products