Sony reportedly shifting focus to full-frame cameras

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Sony reportedly shifting focus to full-frame cameras

Unread post by bakubo »

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/722421 ... me-cameras

Of course, anyone following what Sony has been releasing in recent years already knew this.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: Sony reportedly shifting focus to full-frame cameras

Unread post by classiccameras »

I'm guessing it will be NEX full frame rather A mount, I wish them luck but its not going to be easy to prize FF users away from Canikon.

I suspect A mount is being wound down and could eventually stop in favour of NEX. Same sort of scenario as Olympus with the dying 4 thirds and the gradual change to Micro 4 Thirds. At least Olympus played to their strengths adopting the ILC system in Micro 4 Thirds keeping their small is beautiful heritage alive, they are now proving popular along with Panasonic.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

If some of the forums are to be believed then some people are actually thinking about moving over and others all ready have moved. But does Sony have to recruit from the existing DSLR user base ? Or attract more of any new entrants into photography ?

Given that Sony has now hived off many of its extremely loss making divisions and according to their latest financials has significant growth in sensors etc - where to know for the remaining traditional camera companies ?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:I'm guessing it will be NEX full frame rather A mount, I wish them luck but its not going to be easy to prize FF users away from Canikon.
Yeah, me too. That is why I posted this in the Alpha NEX system forum. :)
classiccameras wrote: I suspect A mount is being wound down and could eventually stop in favour of NEX. Same sort of scenario as Olympus with the dying 4 thirds and the gradual change to Micro 4 Thirds. At least Olympus played to their strengths adopting the ILC system in Micro 4 Thirds keeping their small is beautiful heritage alive, they are now proving popular along with Panasonic.
Yeah, I suspect the same thing. Sony has adapters that allow full functionality of A-mount lenses on mirrorless bodies, right? I haven't followed Sony so closely lately. Do the adapters do AF with older screw-drive lenses too?
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I think you need the more expensive laea4 model to focus screw drives.

I so rarely use auto focus that I'm not 100% sure :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Peter, I think Sony are hoping new buyers will opt for NEX rather than converts from A mount. Sony are now getting over complicated with the different formats and to some first time buyers very confusing. If you go for the new NEX system dealers need to make it clear that the lenses are pretty darn expensive. The NEX family is swamped with models. Sony are now supplying sensors for Pentax, Nikon, Olympus, and some other makes i'm not sure of.
Their road map is not yet clear, but from what I can see Canikon is and so is Olympus and Pentax.

Pete