Future of the 'E' mount CSC cameras

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
classiccameras
Viceroy

Future of the 'E' mount CSC cameras

Unread post by classiccameras »

Couple of rumours I saw on another forum, saying the E mount NEX/A6000 style CSC cameras are on a dead end road which is why Sony are neglecting new E mount lenses in favour of FE and the 7 series. Plus they have struggled a bit against the Olympus and Panasonic CSC cameras both with vast lens choice. I would not mind betting that they either re vamp the format or wind it up and A mount will continue in a limited capacity along side their premier range the A7 series.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Future of the 'E' mount CSC cameras

Unread post by pakodominguez »

CIPA numbers can probably explain better what's Sony actual situation (keep in mind they are not producing a full capacity, there are many back-orders products)
http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/the ... japan.html
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

You do need to ask yourself about the likely sources of the rumours and the motivation behind them. Be they from self justifying fan boys to the well and truly bought and paid for "expert", and that is not to mention the mercenary click bait sites.

In terms of price and added convenience there is still a major market for APS cameras.There is a limit to how many Leica or even Fuji / Olympus spots there are to be filled. And even those companies have quite a few near death experiences and stop / start development.

Given the damage done to the Sony sensor production facility, it is no surprise that production lines that bring in the maximum cash flow will be favoured.

Even with my A7x cameras and RX 10, I am personally still in the market for a APS DSLR strength camera which at this time is likely still to be an A mount camera. And I certainly not prepared to go above what I paid for my A7rII anytime in the next few years and I suspect I am not alone in that.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Pete, I read it on a DPreview forum, its not a valid remark but it was said as if Sony are 'rudderless' with their E mount APS-C system, the lens base is stagnant.

Thankfully I can use my A mount lenses via an adaptor on my A6000 but that really defeats the object of why I bought the camera in the first place, a Compact System Camera. Sony really do need to give the E mount APS-C some much needed and better choice of glass. The 7 series cameras and FE lenses are going well but in a different league to E mount.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

This is quite interesting years later. Aside from a couple of lenses, not much happened on APS-C
Though there are some third party options and interesting manual focus lenses around - Sony put their whole effort into full frame (quite clearly)
We now have rumors of a "vlog" APS-C camera, again dashing E Mount users hopes of a higher end sports/wildlife camera
In 2019 a very mild re-hash of the 3 main bodies, which added not very much really bar a flip up LCD and improved AF

What Sony should have done is offer a variety of body styles (something larger for action shooters, not huge but larger with a grip option) more controls front/rear dials (many users have been asking for this for years and fallen on deaf ears)
Or with the compact style body really push compact/pancake primes. Sadly nothing happened there either and crop E mount is screaming out for some good small primes. Just the mediocre 16/20mm ones which are ages old and not particularly good anyway. Fuji did a lot for their system albeit some are pricey.

Huge lost opportunity - so I believe that is why many say E mount APS-C is not quite but almost a dead end for development. It's like the unwanted child, kept around but largely ignored :mrgreen: The one mount marketing is really just one system - full frame