What external microphone to buy for the A77

Alpha_Zagreb
Initiate

What external microphone to buy for the A77

Unread post by Alpha_Zagreb »

I'm planing to buy an external microphone for the A77. Do you have any suggestions? Preferably not too expensive, and yet that it can be put to good use. I looked at various combinations on eBay, but I still have not decided on anything. Video is my casual hobby, and I need an external microphone as me and some guys are planing to record some stories in our city, so it's important to have a little longer cable. I looked at David's combination for recording and it is great.

Thanks for advice and sorry for my (bad) english. 8)
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: What external microphone to buy for the A77

Unread post by pakodominguez »

After a little research, I was about to buy a Rode like DK's, but my friend at the store finally recommends this Sony ECM-CG50BP for about the same price http://www.adorama.com/SOECMCG50BP.html -He told me the more traditional mount on the Sony works better, and mics are about the same quality-wise. But I haven't try it yet because I have no camera (I'm waiting for Sony to deliver my NEX7)
For a little bit less money, you can get the Sony ECM-ALST1 http://www.adorama.com/ISOECMALST1.html that someone on this forum (but I don't remember who...) already use.

Regards

Pako
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I have found that my external phantom powered Sony small mic, which works well on some cameras, produces as much auto-gain hiss as the internals.

What's interesting about the Rode is that is appears to almost defeat the auto gain (but not quite). Outdoors, the internal mics are much crisper and very clear in rendering treble sounds. The Rode is much warmer (but our living cat wanted to attack the 'dead cat' and nearly brought the camera down off a worktop after I'd been outdoors testing the furry overcoat).

The Rode has to be remounted with the shoe moved, involves turning it round completely in the mount. Otherwise, it hits your forehead. The normal mounting pushes it right back.

David
Alpha_Zagreb
Initiate

Unread post by Alpha_Zagreb »

Thanks for the answers! I'm still looking to buy one and your tips helped me... Sony ECM-CG50BP looks well, but I need to investigate him in every detail. 8)
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

It would be useful to know the budget to get an idea of how much you want to spend if you are still undecided.
I'm also thinking of getting an external mic for a video camera so am interested in the options - I already have a
mic that I could add a new capsule to which would be a starting point.

By the way, the adorama link points to specifications that make no sense at all (pattern and S/N ratio).

Harvey