Movie mode crop loss of wide angle

bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Movie mode crop loss of wide angle

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Surprised to notice this, but the video mode isn't using the full width of the sensor. So put your WA lens on there and it crops the sides of the image. Of course due to the aspect ratio you expect a crop on the image top/bottom. But the sides?

I would imagine this could put off some more serious video users..seems like an oversight from Sony
Not that I use video much, but this is quite odd really
Dr. Harout

Re: Movie mode crop loss of wide angle

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Try the same thing but with SSS off in the video mode settings (mind you, there are 2 SSS settings in the camera, in the menu).
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bfitzgerald

Quick update. Shot some video with the A57 at Christmas not overly impressed (it's not bad but nothing special either)
Turning off the SSS in the video settings does not remove the crop

I ran across this too (for the A77 video)
http://www.mitros.org/p/a77/a77_video.html

Pending the return of the A57 I can't compare.
However they say there is an additional 1.2x crop (which stays on no matter what settings you use) That seems about right to my eye

As for the up-sampling I can't really comment on that but it would not shock me. Overall I would say the video mode is quite a let down considering the supposed Sony efforts on this, crop is a problem no doubt. I too found the video a bit fuzzy. Might be fine for my uses (ie not that often) but it's nowhere near as good as I would have expected esp considering Sony's experience in this field

I shot a few videos with the D7000 whilst it's mono with the built in microphone the quality was a lot better and NO crop
Being honest even the old K-x I had and it's 720p video was sharper and better (again no crop)
Nobody else applies a 1.2x crop for stabilisation and it's annoying that you can't turn it off. To get a genuine wide angle you'd nearly need an UWA lens even the 17-35mm isn't wide enough in video

Some very strange choices from Sony sound quality is actually pretty good from the built in stereo microphones, otherwise I don't recommend Sony's SLT video to serious video shooters
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bfitzgerald wrote: Some very strange choices from Sony sound quality is actually pretty good from the built in stereo microphones, otherwise I don't recommend Sony's SLT video to serious video shooters
I find really interesting the fact that you dare to recommend video equipment to serious video shooters...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald

You can find it as you want (as ever trying to be controversial but failing try harder Pako)
Simple as this I've showed the video on the camera to a few people (I call them serious video dudes/folks) and they were "not impressed" (and that is after looking at it a bit more in depth and not I love xyz brand)

So based on that and my own looking at it frankly no I don't recommend the SLT models for video (A99 didn't look that good either no idea about the crop on that body) video is soft, lacking details, has an additional crop on the footage, really not great at all and with all the big "effort" from Sony on video surprisingly mediocre was the vibe I got from folks.

No I'm not into video that much and if I turn my nose up and say it's ho hum, that should be fairly worrying because my needs are pretty basic. But seriously the D7k thrashes the pants off the Sony for video quality (actual footage quality) I'm not recommending serious video shooters to buy xyz I'm saying the Sony video isn't that good and it's really got too many issues and that extra crop is a MAJOR issue.