A77 - how to get started

johnstra
Heirophant

A77 - how to get started

Unread post by johnstra »

Can anyone help me with the file format settings on the A77? I want to get started with video, initially only in a small way. I am thinking of getting Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 for editing. Assuming that I have that, should I set the A77 to 50p 28m AVCHD for best quality and can I then convert in the editor if I want a format that can be written to DVD or posted on the web? I am a complete novice with video so I will be glad for any advice
Bob Johnston
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: A77 - how to get started

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Bob - sorry you haven't had a knowledgeable reply so you'll have to put up with me :) .

I am still very much finding my way with video as well. I had all sort of problems with AVCHD regarding compatibility and so I just use .mp4 now. I wasn't using the same Sony s/w as you though. For my purely home use this is still great quality imho.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
johnstra
Heirophant

Unread post by johnstra »

Hey, thanks very much for the reply. I was wondering if I had upset everyone somehow. I guess that we must be the only ordinary forum members that are trying video. I was hoping though that David would chip in with some advice as I am sure that he has the answers. The reasons that I am thinking of getting Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 are that it is cheap (about £30), it is recommended by PCPro as being the best budget video editor and finally I assume that, being Sony, it will be able to handle AVCHD. Garry Friedman recommends MP4 too though. I am sure that you are right in saying that it is good enough.
Are you out Mr Kilpatrick? Any recommendations?

Thanks again
Bob Johnston
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

i also had problems playing back so only use the mp4 format.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Iknowit
Acolyte

Unread post by Iknowit »

What I am about to get is the ATG Atomos Shogun+ with 512G SSD to record audio/video to it instead on the card.

I do not have the the Sony SLT-A77, but have the ATG Sony SLT-A99vr and ATG Sony A7s
The set-up is simple, just plug the HDMI cable to mini HDMI on camera and other end to the ATG Atomos Shogun+.

Now, audio/video are a editing nightmare. Unless you are using wireless radio Lav UHF microphone. Many can't afford the lav UHF so they get the lav VHF microphone.

I am saving & thinking getting the better model of the Sony FDR-AX100, which is the ATG Sony FDR-AX100 Kim X with the Carl Zeiss T* 29-348/2.0 OSS.
Using any of these two, one can get 4K cines with no overheating and shutdown.
I rather pay a little bit more for faster speed lenses. Beside where can you get a lens that has zoom from 29mm up to 348mm focal lengths with a constant F2.0?
And get one in a ATG/Carl Zeiss T* with OSS?

Facts & saving when buying ATG/Sony FDR-AX100 Kim X:
Canon EF24-70/2.8L II about $2,300.00. But no IS
Canon EF70-200/2.8L II IS about $2,500.00
Canon EF200/2.0L IS about $6,000.00
Canon EF300/2.8L IS II about $7,200.00
Carl Zeiss T* 70-200/2.9 runs about $20,000.00
ATG/Carl Zeiss T* 70-200/2.1 costs more than most sport cars.

Currently there is only one affordable dslr, slt or mirrorless camera and that is the basic Canon EOS-1D C, can shoot without overheating nor shutdown.
But it shoots 4K cine in reduction modes which is a major drawbacks for my staff.