Epson R1800 problem

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
chorleyjeff
Initiate

Epson R1800 problem

Unread post by chorleyjeff »

Despite doggie-doo weather have taken some OK pictures on my Alpha 100.
Tried to print them on my R1800 and for first time got message "inks not recognised" with a list of my ink cartridges. I can't get beyond that message in that if I click"OK" the printer head shuffles around a bit and it goes back to where it started.
Any ideas how to get round this the latest annoyance in trying to get a digital workflow going?
At this rate I am inclined to take a lump hammer to the lot and go back to good old simple film. Grrrrrrrr
Cheers
Jeff
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

You almost certainly have one of the inks in the wrong slot. I don't know the R1800 inkset, but with my R300 it is quite easy to get the colours muddled in order and swap two over. If you do that, you get the message you have. If not, you may have bought a wrong cartridge type - some are very similar, but won't fit anything except the exact machine and ink slot intended. You can fit them physically but the printer will not work.

David
chorleyjeff
Initiate

All the cartridges are the correct colour and type - I have double checked.
The fault is intermittent and driving me mad.
Should I clean the contacts between printer and cartridges? Would it be worthwhile cleaning the print head and if so how is that done?
As an aside I don't know my word "dodgy" in my first post got translated to " "doggie-doo" - a rogue spellcheck maybe.
Cheers
Jeff
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

No, there's certain words - dodgy is not one of them - which if used on this forum get translated into comedy equivalents. Just try a string a swear words and obscenities (or please don't) and you will them all commuted into quaint old middle-class cusses.

Such as you should use on your R1800. I guess cleaning the contact areas may help but the problem with Epson is that removing and replacing the cartridge is often enough to screw up its future use.

Why not invest, once and for all, in a Quill or similar continuous ink system and never have this hassle again? Plus never pay Epson for another overpriced cart.

David
chorleyjeff
Initiate

Thanks for your reply.
I could be tempted to try the Lyson continuous ink system but whenever I look into what inks work best with the R1800 there are warnings that using compatibles is akin to using parafin to fuel a Ferrari! Lyson's web site looks reassuring to me that they offer good quality products so do you reckon they would be OK.
Re my Alpha 100. I like it more and more as I get familiar with it and the images on screen look great. I am very pleased with the whole digital work flow until I get to the printing stage so I hope the printer can be sorted out!
Cheers
Jeff
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Lyson - with the cleaning solution used first - is superior to the Epson inks, not inferior. They have suffered problems over recent years because of cheap alternatives which are no way as accurate in terms of colour science. Lyson remains the best choice, and if that's available for your printer, you will not regret switching.

David