Removing 'Ghost' Artifacts

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
Matt_Atkinson
Acolyte

Removing 'Ghost' Artifacts

Unread post by Matt_Atkinson »

I'm in the process of tidying up some shots from a friend's wedding, and a couple of the good ones are currently being ruined by green 'ghost' patches caused by the bright church windows. Anyone got any suggestions on the best way to remove such patches in post processing? I have Photoshop CS2, and I'm having trouble getting the colour replacement brush to work properly with it.

Also is there anything else I can do to help prevent the 'ghost' appearing in the first place? I generally shoot with the lens hood attached, all my lenses are Sony's own (and hence have the correct digital coatings), and my protection filters are all either multicoated B+Ws or multicoated Sony/Zeiss ones. Still I experience ghosting more than I'd like.
harveyzone
Oligarch

Re: Removing 'Ghost' Artifacts

Unread post by harveyzone »

Matt_Atkinson wrote:I'm in the process of tidying up some shots from a friend's wedding, and a couple of the good ones are currently being ruined by green 'ghost' patches caused by the bright church windows. Anyone got any suggestions on the best way to remove such patches in post processing? I have Photoshop CS2, and I'm having trouble getting the colour replacement brush to work properly with it.

Try having a look at the individual colour channels. If it only appears on one then sometimes you can copy/paste from another channel, or just work on that channel without damaging the others.
--
Tom
Matt_Atkinson
Acolyte

Re: Removing 'Ghost' Artifacts

Unread post by Matt_Atkinson »

harveyzone wrote:
Matt_Atkinson wrote:I'm in the process of tidying up some shots from a friend's wedding, and a couple of the good ones are currently being ruined by green 'ghost' patches caused by the bright church windows. Anyone got any suggestions on the best way to remove such patches in post processing? I have Photoshop CS2, and I'm having trouble getting the colour replacement brush to work properly with it.

Try having a look at the individual colour channels. If it only appears on one then sometimes you can copy/paste from another channel, or just work on that channel without damaging the others.
Just tried this and it works really well, cheers :)
The ghosting was all in the green and blue channels on dark objects, so I just copied from the red channel into each of them.
I'd post the pics, but the bride and groom haven't seen them yet, so it wouldn't feel right somehow...