Lightroom 1 to Lightroom 2

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
Omega892
Oligarch

Lightroom 1 to Lightroom 2

Unread post by Omega892 »

I have just upgraded to Lightroom 2 (upgrade version) and the upgrade did not go as expected.

Firstly Lightroom 1 is still there but maybe that is normal and I can live with that for awhile.

Secondly the Upgraded Lightroom, in Library mode, has not picked up the Folder names from Lightroom 1.

Being curious about the new Catalogue section, and in the absence of an updated Userguide PDF, I have found a tutorial on line but the download speed is an excruciating 7.36KB/Sec on this broadband (Ha!) connection by courtesy of Virgin Media cable.

I am currently investigating the woeful performance of my broadband (slow to totally stopped at most useful periods), one of the factors why I have not been here for some time. I am running PingPlotter for diagnosis and ammunition - trying against the URL for this download shows that the usual VM latency is far outweighed by what happens once the route hits New York and San Jose.

Upgrade due to recent purchase of A700 (having decided that the 900 is not for me ATM) and Sony 70-300mm f4.5-5.6G.

Only another 47 min and 50 sec of Catalogue tutorial from http://idisk.mac.com/george_jardine-Public?view=web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to go as I post this - slowly. Sigh!
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Lightroom 1 to Lightroom 2

Unread post by Javelin »

their NAP's are saturated. they need to add more bandwidth but of course thats expensive. With some providers this goes in cycles. they sell off their bandwidth to new users but don't ad more at the Network Access Points untill the complaints reach a fever pitch then they add what they need and everybody enjoys good service untill their customer base expands enough to saturate them again... and so it goes.. It's just bad management usually in the end. Here bad management was solved by a pending cass action suit with our provider which started as a grass roots group getting together and comparing notes.
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Omega892 wrote: I have just upgraded to Lightroom 2 (upgrade version) and the upgrade did not go as expected.

Firstly Lightroom 1 is still there but maybe that is normal and I can live with that for awhile.

Secondly the Upgraded Lightroom, in Library mode, has not picked up the Folder names from Lightroom 1.

Being curious about the new Catalogue section, and in the absence of an updated Userguide PDF, I have found a tutorial on line but the download speed is an excruciating 7.36KB/Sec on this broadband (Ha!) connection by courtesy of Virgin Media cable.
Lightroom 1 was also left on my computer when I installed the upgrade to Lightroom 2. However, when I ran the Lightroom 1 Uninstall program after getting Lightroom 2 working to my satisfaction, it seemed to do a good job of removing Lightroom 1 without any nasty side effects.

If you click on "Help" in the program, it will open up your browser and connect to an Adobe web site that has hyperlinked material about how to do various functions within the program. It is not a real tutorial and YMMV, but I have found it *relatively* useful for figuring out the way the program works.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Omega892
Oligarch

Unread post by Omega892 »

UrsaMajor wrote: Lightroom 1 was also left on my computer when I installed the upgrade to Lightroom 2. However, when I ran the Lightroom 1 Uninstall program after getting Lightroom 2 working to my satisfaction, it seemed to do a good job of removing Lightroom 1 without any nasty side effects.
Thanks for that, but I am still pondering as to why the Folder names assigned in Lightroom 1 do not carry over into Lightroom 2.
If you click on "Help" in the program, it will open up your browser and connect to an Adobe web site that has hyperlinked material about how to do various functions within the program.
All very well if one can rely upon good connectivity, as it is I have seen OMD 270 (thick piston aero-engine oil which flows rather like Evostick adhesive) flow faster on a freezing windswept airfield than my supposed broadband.

It isn't only Adobe issues I have from getting a new system up and running after the old one died. I do wish Adobe had put a Lightroom 2 UserGuide PDF on the CD as it took an age to download and this after several download restarts. I am getting realy mad with Virgin who blame anything else but over-subscription which is obviously the case because of the periodicity when it is least reliable. Dial up can often be quicker and more reliable.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin