LR2, shifting color of A700 cRAW

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
adakshi
Oligarch

LR2, shifting color of A700 cRAW

Unread post by adakshi »

Hello,

I am not sure if anyone has experienced this. If I open a cRAW in IDC, skin tone and WB looks perfect but when I open it in LR2, the thumbnail, before it is fully rendered, looks good but then suddenly I get a weird shift, colors look magenta and brightness highly increased, etc.

Then I figured that by default it is increasing brightness to +25, but even if I make it 0, color is still quite off. Also, IDC lifts a lot of shadow details whereas LR renders them black.

I am having hard time to match LR output with that of IDC. Only one thing that makes me to want LR is details. LR output is just popping out, whereas IDC is bit dull.
I am using standard profile. Does LR support A700 V4 RAW well.

I see the same effect with picasa all become magenta. I was looking at my friend's D300 output. They look fine even in picasa.
Is it my A700 or profiles.

Thanks in advance for your help

Thanks
Ayan
Sony A900, A77, SAL-1680Z, SAL-70200G, SAL-135F18Z, SAL-50F14, HVL-58AM
adakshi
Oligarch

Re: LR2, shifting color of A700 cRAW

Unread post by adakshi »

Ok here are the samples.

2 sets. In each set, 1st one is with LR default, 2nd one with brightness reduced from +50 to 0, and 3rd one from IDC. I see strong magenta cast in LR.

1st set
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3428/327 ... 2297_b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3338/327 ... 7dab_b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3407/327 ... 5e05_b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2nd set in next post

Thanks
Ayan
adakshi
Oligarch

Unread post by adakshi »

2nd set
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3435/327 ... ecf4_b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3442/327 ... ffd4_b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3344/327 ... 2fde_b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks
Ayan
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

adakshi wrote:Hello,

I am not sure if anyone has experienced this. If I open a cRAW in IDC, skin tone and WB looks perfect but when I open it in LR2, the thumbnail, before it is fully rendered, looks good but then suddenly I get a weird shift, colors look magenta and brightness highly increased, etc.

Then I figured that by default it is increasing brightness to +25, but even if I make it 0, color is still quite off. Also, IDC lifts a lot of shadow details whereas LR renders them black.

I am having hard time to match LR output with that of IDC. Only one thing that makes me to want LR is details. LR output is just popping out, whereas IDC is bit dull.
I am using standard profile. Does LR support A700 V4 RAW well.

I see the same effect with picasa all become magenta. I was looking at my friend's D300 output. They look fine even in picasa.
Is it my A700 or profiles.

Thanks in advance for your help

Thanks
Ayan
To me it looks like a problem with (lack of?) profiling. On my monitor (which has been profiled), in the first set, the first one (the LR default) looks the best. The second looks way dark, losing a lot of detail. The third looks flat and lifeless (and the skin doesn't look like any skin I've ever seen).

In the second set, I'd pick the second version, though not very happily -- I'd prefer something about halfway between the first and second. The first looks like you're losing a fair amount of detail in (for example) the highlights in the shirt (e.g. her left shoulder). The second regains that detail, but at the expense of over-emphasizing all the shadows on her face and such. The third looks flat and dull.

It's a bit hard to guess at exactly how your monitor is currently adjusted, but if you haven't profiled it, the colors you're seeing may not mean much. With a monitor that hasn't been profiled, what you see may have very little relationship with what's really there. Differences in camera profiles between different versions of ACR are fairly subtle compared to differences due to a monitor that has/hasn't been profiled.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Lightroom and ACR preset defaults are just a start point. Just shift the tint slider back to 0 if it's around +5 to +10, which is quite typical for LR colour temp reporting. Save a new camera raw default. LR and ACR white balance are notoriously different from other apps, including reporting the wrong Kelvin values. Generally, it's best to reduce the magenta tint level and lower the K value - typically by around 10 per cent (i.e. 5200 change to 4700, 3000 change to 2700 etc). You simply can't trust auto WB or reported camera WB conversions in LR or ACR.

David
adakshi
Oligarch

Unread post by adakshi »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Lightroom and ACR preset defaults are just a start point. Just shift the tint slider back to 0 if it's around +5 to +10, which is quite typical for LR colour temp reporting. Save a new camera raw default. LR and ACR white balance are notoriously different from other apps, including reporting the wrong Kelvin values. Generally, it's best to reduce the magenta tint level and lower the K value - typically by around 10 per cent (i.e. 5200 change to 4700, 3000 change to 2700 etc). You simply can't trust auto WB or reported camera WB conversions in LR or ACR.

David
Thanks David,

My observation is similar. I generally play with tint and temp slider and import with a profile that at least makes brightness slider to 0. I found some Nikon presets from Net and sometimes they work. I have recently posted a Dance Competition slideshow in this forum and probably WB is okay as you didn't mention anything.

To me IDC gives me best skin tone but result is very flat. And it is extremely difficut and time consuming to match skin tone of LR with IDC.

Is it good to export first to TIFF using IDC and then tweak in LR.

Thanks
Ayan
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

adakshi wrote: Is it good to export first to TIFF using IDC and then tweak in LR.
If you don't have Photoshop, yes. I would prefer to export it into Photoshop for further work, not Lightroom.

David