sharpness variance

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
picman
Heirophant

sharpness variance

Unread post by picman »

I don't get it.

1. I have a jpg finest setting from an A700 (12.6 MB) and I copy this to my Mac.
2. I open the jpeg in Lightroom, don't do any PP, just look at it, close.
3. I open that same jpeg in Capture One, again don't do any PP and just look at it (in astonishment).

The jpeg in Capture One is considerably sharper?? Please look at the screen catures of parts of the two jpeg's.

Can someone explain the difference. Thanks!! Cheers, Bob.
Attachments
LR screen capture
LR screen capture
C1 screen capture
C1 screen capture
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: sharpness variance

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Wow. I could hardly believe it! Before I clicked your pictures I was preparing myself for some serious pixel-peeping, but none is needed. The difference is staggering.

I had noticed a difference (of course) between veiwing in Photoshop and viewing in Microsoft Picture Browser (or whatever it's called), but I wouldn't expect to find such a difference between two professional tools such as these. :shock:
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

Same kind of thing in Preview on the Macintosh, it antialiases the picture when it scales it down to fit the screen and it looks soft. Open the same photo in GraphicConverter on the Mac and pin sharp, just the way they scale it.
David
picman
Heirophant

Unread post by picman »

I wasn't able to check this with the jpeg files I still had of the A700 but I've done some tests with raw files of my new A900. The following seems to work

1. Import raw files in Capture One
2. Do PP as necessary
3. Export finished files as TIFF ( about 70 MB per photo)
4. Import TIFF files in Aperture
5 Play slideshow with these files

Result: sharpness is completely preserved and the slideshow goes without problems.

Cheers, Bob

PS I do not know if this is the optimal workflow but at least there does not seem to be any noticeable deterioration as in the examples higher up.