Adobe Camera Raw 5.4 Beta

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Adobe Camera Raw 5.4 Beta

Unread post by 01af »

Adobe has released the beta version of Camera Raw 5.4 for Mac and Win on Adobe Labs. While there is nothing new for Sony users officially (new raw file support for Canon EOS 500D, Nikon D5000, several Hasselblad backs, two Olympus 4/3rds, plus a few more), there still is a silent but major improvement which is worth to mention: With Sony JPEG and raw files, the colour rendition of raw finally matches that of the JPEG files. In all previous ACR versions, ACR's colour rendition for the raw files always was on the pinkish side, compared to the respective JPEGs that were shot in the RAW+JPEG format. Not anymore.

Well done, Adobe!

EDIT: After a bit more playing, it seems to me it's not ACR 5.4 which makes the difference but the camera profiles coming along with it. Anyway, it's an improvement.

-- Olaf
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Re: Adobe Camera Raw 5.4 Beta

Unread post by bonneville »

Thanks for this Olaf.

As I tap this post the 77+MB file is downloading right now <gulp>.

Hopefully CS4 will gobble it up okay.

Brian
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Re: Adobe Camera Raw 5.4 Beta

Unread post by bonneville »

Okay. Downloaded, installed and seems to be working well.

(The only negative [pun unintentional] is that it is a beta version and after expiry a flash screen will be shown every day it is used, but that's no big deal)

Grabbed an untouched RAW from last Sunday's Raptor shoot (see Rare Raptors thread) and ran it through the new converter and this was the very quick result:

Brian
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter